Thread protectors FS

Buy and Sell
Be smart about your dealings, this forum is not responsible for bad deals.

Moderator: MudBug

Thread protectors FS

Postby DaveG » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:16 am

Sorry for initially posting this in the general discussion threads, but here it is again.
Hello all, I am a machinist, and an aspiring novice gunsmith, and a member of this forum (Chorizo, I believe) contacted me to build him a part, and said that there may be others interested. He, after trying a Ross Brake at the range, was displeased with it's flaws of it's nature, being that it is heavy, and directs the muzzle gasses back at the user, and/or the user's shooting companions, and he desired a thread protector in the .450 bushmaster size of 11/16-24. This is what I have come up with, and have made a few extras, but figured I would offer them here, prior to posting them on gunbroker.com. They are made from mild steel, raw machined finish, ready to be stained or parkerized to your liking. I would like to see $40 each, shipping included, anywhere in the continental US states. I currently only have 4 pieces available, but can easily make more if demand necessitates.
As you can see, the outer has been fluted with 6 equally spaced flutes, to grip while installing, and in the second pic you can see the counterbore side, to be installed toward the action, as the counterbore will cover the existing barrel's chamfer and thread start, and in the third pic, is the end that will slightly extend past the muzzle, and is just chamfered. I will try to get a pic of one installed later today or tomorrow. Please PM me for purchase, so as to not excessively clutter this thread, thank you and have a great day!

EDIT: I also have the ability to sandblast at your option, for no additional charge, also can make them from stainless steel, either sandblasted or polished, for a small increase in price for more difficult to machine material.
DaveG

Re: Thread protectors FS

Postby Jim in Houston » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:36 am

Thanks for posting this. Although I am not planning on replaceing my muzzle break with a Ross or any other one, I think it is great that someone with talent in the manufacturing of parts like this is posting to this board.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:05 pm

Those look nice and I like the fact that you put flutes on the sides. What other thread sizes can you make?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby DaveG » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:18 am

I can make just about any size thread, although it is better if I have the barrel to custom fit to, but I got the one for chorizo done, sight unseen, perfect fit the first time for the threads, and then had to turn more from the OD to meet his request. I use a single point internal threading tool on a lathe, then mill the flutes in a second operation. I don't have any fancy CNC machines, but that makes it all the better for doing one-off custom pieces to order.
DaveG

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:53 am

I got the one for my Grendel here.
StormLake Inc
www.storm-lake.com
5900 Highway 321 N
Lenoir City, TN 37771
865-988-8933
865-271-9441 (fax)
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby DaveG » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:35 pm

Wow for the sizes they carry that is a great price! Too bad for you AR.450 boys they don't have 11/16-24 size.
But what the heck, price drop to $30 shipped, and I can blue them as soon as I get paid for the first one. $35 for one in polished or sandblasted stainless steel.
DaveG

Postby Bryanb07 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:14 am

DaveG wrote:Sorry for initially posting this in the general discussion threads, but here it is again.
Hello all, I am a machinist, and an aspiring novice gunsmith, and a member of this forum (Chorizo, I believe) contacted me to build him a part, and said that there may be others interested. He, after trying a Ross Brake at the range, was displeased with it's flaws of it's nature, being that it is heavy, and directs the muzzle gasses back at the user, and/or the user's shooting companions, and he desired a thread protector in the .450 bushmaster size of 11/16-24. This is what I have come up with, and have made a few extras, but figured I would offer them here, prior to posting them on gunbroker.com. They are made from mild steel, raw machined finish, ready to be stained or parkerized to your liking. I would like to see $40 each, shipping included, anywhere in the continental US states. I currently only have 4 pieces available, but can easily make more if demand necessitates.
As you can see, the outer has been fluted with 6 equally spaced flutes, to grip while installing, and in the second pic you can see the counterbore side, to be installed toward the action, as the counterbore will cover the existing barrel's chamfer and thread start, and in the third pic, is the end that will slightly extend past the muzzle, and is just chamfered. I will try to get a pic of one installed later today or tomorrow. Please PM me for purchase, so as to not excessively clutter this thread, thank you and have a great day!

EDIT: I also have the ability to sandblast at your option, for no additional charge, also can make them from stainless steel, either sandblasted or polished, for a small increase in price for more difficult to machine material.

I'd be interested in one for my .450.....I duracoat on the side so coating isn't an issue
Bryanb07

Postby Lyman » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:20 pm

Are these still available.
Lyman

Postby Hoot » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:09 pm

Lyman wrote:Are these still available.

Lyman, given the age of the last post, a PM to the fellow selling them would be in order. More likely to get his attention since his last visit was two weeks ago.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Market