Recoil and What to do about it!

Buy and Sell
Be smart about your dealings, this forum is not responsible for bad deals.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Recoil and What to do about it!

Postby gunnut » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:29 pm

A welcome relief! Image
gunnut

Postby gunnut » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:48 pm

Hoot wrote:Thanks;
When my upper arrives, I'll see how it and the A2 stock balance out. That'll drive whether I add additional weight to the back of the it. Interesting solution. It would be interesting to do some experiments with magnetic repulsion. There are neodymium cobalt magnets out there the exert amazing amounts energy for their dimunitive size. They come in many form factors, one being Flat Washer that could allow a guide rod through the center. Depending upon the size, they can exert up to ~50 pounds of repulsion in pairs. Just an idea...
Hoot

I have thought about using magnets. but, the main problem would be what to do about the induced currents? You would have to do something or they would heat anything with iron in it. bolt carrier. buffer & spring. It's a good idea! but, would take sometime to develope. Magnetising parts and attracting dirt would be another draw back. There are some new material out in the area of shock absorbtion. but, mostly used in heavy industry and high end race cars and bikes for now. AKA = expensive! and long development time.
gunnut

Postby gunnut » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:46 pm

Off the shelf 450B. Image
gunnut

Postby gunnut » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:59 pm

No Izzy. Image
gunnut

Postby gunnut » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:42 pm

First Brake Tested. The IZZY. This is for recoil on the horizonal plain and not vertical for muzzel climb. Image
gunnut

Postby Hoot » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:51 am

WRT removing the foam lining in the stock chamber and replacing the foam with a more impact resistant material, while casting a permanent weight chamber, would fiberglass bondo be a good choice? I was just going to use standard 2-part resin, but thought the stuff with the fiberglass strands in the resin would be even more stronger.
For the chamber, I was thinking of a piece of threaded and capped black-pipe of sufficient ID to accommodate either aftermarket recoil reducers or dead weight. Anyone have experience with that version of bondo? I'm trying to stay occupied until the early morning temps warm and my upper arrives. Right now, it's still below freezing in the mornings when I like to go to the range.
Thanks,
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 2zero6 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:20 am

Hoot wrote:For the chamber, I was thinking of a piece of threaded and capped black-pipe of sufficient ID to accommodate either aftermarket recoil reducers or dead weight.
Hoot

What about a wax mold instead of the pipe? Then just use low heat to melt the wax and pour off.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby gunnut » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:28 am

Maybe I should post some better pictures. I've already done that for you. The A2 Recoil-less butt stock is poured with high impact resins and has 2 cavities 15/16 Dia. x 4.5" deep.
gunnut

Postby Hoot » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:34 am

2zero6 wrote:
Hoot wrote:For the chamber, I was thinking of a piece of threaded and capped black-pipe of sufficient ID to accommodate either aftermarket recoil reducers or dead weight.
Hoot

What about a wax mold instead of the pipe? Then just use low heat to melt the wax and pour off.

Lost Wax is an excellent approach if one just wants a cavity in the resin. I was hoping to capture the piece of pipe in the resin to serve as a permanent vessel to hold different reduction experiments. Gunnut's work piqued my interest and being an Engineering Technician, I enjoy this kind of tinkering. The idea with the capped piece of pipe was the one end with its cap embedded in the resin would add to the anchoring strength with the resin ending just short of the other end. That end of the pipe would terminate just inside the butt plate with enough clearance to allow its end cap to be screwed on or off.

Kind of like this rough concept drawing:

gunnut wrote: Maybe I should post some better pictures. I've already done that for you. The A2 Recoil-less butt stock is poured with high impact resins and has 2 cavities 15/16 Dia. x 4.5" deep.

Gunnut, please don't take this the wrong way because I and I'm sure many others appreciate the work you're putting into your design(s). I'm not just an end user though I respect those who are. I design, build, test, modify, smith and reload for my own use. It brings me a sense of accomplishment beyond marksmanship and huntsmanship. It also makes up for lack of horizontal bop :lol:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby gunnut » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:16 am

No offense taken. :) I just think you will be spending a lot of time and money on something thats already been developed. But, there are rewards for doing it yourself and thats what shops are for. Good Luck! ;)
gunnut

PreviousNext

Return to Market