Recoil and What to do about it!

Buy and Sell
Be smart about your dealings, this forum is not responsible for bad deals.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Recoil and What to do about it!

Postby tbirdman74 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:38 pm

Many thanks Gunny, got to put some rounds through the 450 today with the new stock on. Near as I can tell, with Gunny's stock and a Tubbs carrier weight, it now has the felt recoil of a 243. Unbelievable difference. After 60 rounds, I couldn't even tell I had shot it. Turned in some very promising groups, once I remembered which way was which on my scope turrets. And got settled in the groove. Gonna post pics of groups but photo bucket seems to be down at the moment. Only issue I still have is ejector swiping on case heads. By the way, stock and carrier weight did drastically change where my brass ends up. Went from a consistent 2 o'clock to between 3 and 5 o'clock.
250 gr ftx over 38 gr lil gun. Spotter on right was first 5, left was after I settled in and got in the groove. 2" spotters at 100 yds
Go big... or go home.
tbirdman74

Postby commander faschisto » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:16 pm

That's mighty fine looking group, there...and the brass is landing exactly where it should be, too! :)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Hoot » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:13 am

Did you get the one or two weight stock? I'd agree on the recoil comparison. My Dad's .243 Savage Model 16 kicks about the same. My current recoil-less inspired stock has 3 holes of varying depth all parallel to the buffer tube with three different length and different spring tension shake-weight systems of smaller diameter to achieve a total of 1 lb. There's a 4th hole too short to accommodate springs and weights, but it's the perfect size for a 1/4 pound charge of mercury. I have not implemented that yet. It makes my 20" with Ross brake balance right at the mag well. I'm not fond of barrel heavy setups for hunting. The entire assembly is comprised of fiberglass resin molded to the interior of an A1 shell and can be removed to experiment with other ones. Given it's effectiveness, my experimenting days may be over. not... ;)

Glad you like yours. Gunny makes a great product.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby gunnut » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:43 am

Hoot wrote:Did you get the one or two weight stock? I'd agree on the recoil comparison. My Dad's .243 Savage Model 16 kicks about the same. My current recoil-less inspired stock has 3 holes of varying depth all parallel to the buffer tube with three different length and different spring tension shake-weight systems of smaller diameter to achieve a total of 1 lb. There's a 4th hole too short to accommodate springs and weights, but it's the perfect size for a 1/4 pound charge of mercury. I have not implemented that yet. It makes my 20" with Ross brake balance right at the mag well. I'm not fond of barrel heavy setups for hunting. The entire assembly is comprised of fiberglass resin molded to the interior of an A1 shell and can be removed to experiment with other ones. Given it's effectiveness, my experimenting days may be over. not... ;)

Hoot

Thanks Hoot, Tbird,
I’m glad that someone else can verify that recoil reducers do work!
My latest stocks have a 1”x 5” opening both A1 & A2 for the latest 15oz. adjustable reducer. You can change the springs and weight. And a sleeve for the 7/8” reducers.
This with my Limbsaver recoil pad and a Ross brake, You can’t get a faster follow up shot. These combinations also reduce flinch and damage to optics as well.
“I’ll get off my soap box now”
gunnut

Postby B swift » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:20 pm

gunnut wrote:
Hoot wrote:Did you get the one or two weight stock? I'd agree on the recoil comparison. My Dad's .243 Savage Model 16 kicks about the same. My current recoil-less inspired stock has 3 holes of varying depth all parallel to the buffer tube with three different length and different spring tension shake-weight systems of smaller diameter to achieve a total of 1 lb. There's a 4th hole too short to accommodate springs and weights, but it's the perfect size for a 1/4 pound charge of mercury. I have not implemented that yet. It makes my 20" with Ross brake balance right at the mag well. I'm not fond of barrel heavy setups for hunting. The entire assembly is comprised of fiberglass resin molded to the interior of an A1 shell and can be removed to experiment with other ones. Given it's effectiveness, my experimenting days may be over. not... ;)

Hoot

Thanks Hoot, Tbird,
I’m glad that someone else can verify that recoil reducers do work!
My latest stocks have a 1”x 5” opening both A1 & A2 for the latest 15oz. adjustable reducer. You can change the springs and weight. And a sleeve for the 7/8” reducers.
This with my Limbsaver recoil pad and a Ross brake, You can’t get a faster follow up shot. These combinations also reduce flinch and damage to optics as well.
“I’ll get off my soap box now”

Oh, please? Don't stop! :)

One man's soap box is another man's dream.

I really don't mind the alleged recoil. I found fault with my new trigger assembly! Will discuss it with the wanna be smith his self! Off list lower garbage! :evil:
"A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand".
~Lucius Annaeus Seneca
B swift

Postby jerdebson » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:17 am

Gunny, I don't want to reinvent the wheel so I would like your opinion on which recoil spring (I'm thinking Tubbs Flat) and buffer (H2/H3) to go into your recoiless stock? I think I want your A1 stock (shorter for use with heavy clothes), reducer (what is available (15 oz adjustable?)) and recoil pad.

I am waiting for Walshs to get more 20' uppers in. I have Aero Precision lowers and RRA parts kits w/2 stage NM trigger ordered. Now I need to get the tube, spring and buffer ordered.

I believe we will use Hornady factory 250s for hunting mostly and I want to workup a load for the 230 gr FMJ FP. I believe that would be a great all-around do anything "warm" load. We might get into 250/350 gr GC lead bullets in the future.

You guys with lots of hands on experience might save us a lot of experimenting. I see a Ross brake and other gun mods in our future. TIA
Last edited by jerdebson on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:21 pm

I am waiting for Walshs to get more 20' uppers in. I have Aero Precision lowers and RRA parts kits w/2 stage NM trigger ordered. Now I need to get the tube, castle nut, spring and buffer ordered.

What will you use the castle nut for?
If you use an A-1 or A-2, you won't need one?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby jerdebson » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:43 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
I am waiting for Walshs to get more 20' uppers in. I have Aero Precision lowers and RRA parts kits w/2 stage NM trigger ordered. Now I need to get the tube, castle nut, spring and buffer ordered.

What will you use the castle nut for?
If you use an A-1 or A-2, you won't need one?

You are absolutely right. I can type faster than I can think, and that isn't very fast sometimes. There I erased my screwup, so no one will know :D

TSD you have a lot of experience with the 450, what are your thoughts on my above post?
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby gunnut » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:11 pm

The Standard buffer and spring work just fine. Heavier buffers and spring slow the cycle down. But, not much recoil reduction. If you go over 8oz. buffer with a heavy spring you can Increase recoil. Delaying the bolt opening allows the gun to accelerate longer. The A1 and A2 stocks only require the lower receiver extension tube and butt plate or my limbsaver recoil pad Made for the A1&2 stocks. The Dead mules or edwards 3' to 4" recoil reducers work well with factory ammo. I'm working on a 1"x5" reducer that you can change the spring for bullet weight. Currently being developed on the 450LM. The castle nut is for an adjustable stock. I recommend the MagPul ACS. I'm fitting the butt plate to the Limsaver tactical recoil pad. W.C. is using one. I will have recoil reducers for the ACS soon.

I'm still working on the gas system for the 450LM. Almost there!
gunnut

Postby jerdebson » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:15 pm

gunnut wrote:The Standard buffer and spring work just fine. Heavier buffers and spring slow the cycle down. But, not much recoil reduction. If you go over 8oz. buffer with a heavy spring you can Increase recoil. Delaying the bolt opening allows the gun to accelerate longer. The A1 and A2 stocks only require the lower receiver extension tube and butt plate or my limbsaver recoil pad Made for the A1&2 stocks. The Dead mules or edwards 3' to 4" recoil reducers work well with factory ammo. I'm working on a 1"x5" reducer that you can change the spring for bullet weight. Currently being developed on the 450LM. The castle nut is for an adjustable stock. I recommend the MagPul ACS. I'm fitting the butt plate to the Limsaver tactical recoil pad. W.C. is using one. I will have recoil reducers for the ACS soon.

I'm still working on the gas system for the 450LM. Almost there!

Gunny, Thanks for the info. We don't have anything behind the lower bought yet. I have an ACS on my 6.8x43. It is the only adjustable stock I like. I am more of a fixed stock fan myself. I am watching your 450LM thread intently, very impressive. Please keep us updated on your progress regarding your stock(s) and reducers, both for the A1 and MP ACS. I am very interested in either/both for our two 450Bs we are building now.
Jerry

Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

PreviousNext

Return to Market