Recoil and What to do about it!

Buy and Sell
Be smart about your dealings, this forum is not responsible for bad deals.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Recoil and What to do about it!

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:34 pm

I would like to see what my Uncles' 416 Remington Magnum recoil signature would look like on this
accelerometer.....! LOL!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:00 am

gunnut wrote:The same effect. The A1 & A2 Recoilless stocks weigh the same. The A2 has 2 cavities, The A1 has 1 but, is 5/8" shorter.

Can you still install two reducers?
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby gunnut » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:06 am

No. Only (1) 7/8" x 5" in the A1 Recoil-Less. 1" Dia. upon request.
gunnut

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:25 pm

gunnut wrote:No. Only (1) 7/8" x 5" in the A1 Recoil-Less. 1" Dia. upon request.

I shot you an email with more dumb
questions about the A1 VS the A2.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby gunnut » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:58 pm

bushmeister wrote:Gunnut, I've been thinking alot about the claims of "felt recoil". Obviously, muzzle breaks and your recoil-less stock reduces actual recoil as proven by your graphs and witnessed and experienced by myself and catter. I think we all can agree that one could conclude that less actual recoil = less "felt" recoil. Products such as the limbsaver (which I am also a fan of) have claims to reduce "felt" recoil but not actual recoil, which your graph shows it actually does contribute some. I guess what I am getting to, is that "felt" recoil should be measureable by A. putting an accelerometer on your shoulder instead of the rifle (which adds a slight human variable) or B. Use of a load cell between the stock and the lead sled to measure actual force transferred from the rifle to the shooter. I don't know if that type of technology is available or feasible, but it would seem to be a good way to evaluate claims of "felt" recoil. Not to mention a good excuse to get out to the range again! Thoughts?

B. I looked at transducers at the beginning of this.They are cost prohibitive. In order to be accurate you get into high end certified equipment.

A. I guess we could take some wood screws and mount an accelerometer to the shooters shoulder. :twisted: . Just kidding!
I think we could mount one on the gun and one on the shooter and compare the two reading. Maybe use a shoulder holster or embed one in ballistic jell.

Now we are getting into an area that I don't think anyone has been before.
The old question was, What's the difference in calculated and felt recoil? Now it's become, What's the difference in Actual compared to felt.
I'm all Ears people!
gunnut

Postby talonxracer » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:20 pm

I built the 450 up with a mgi rate reducer, Wolff Xtra power buffer spring and a Cooley tactical brake with a thick ACE buttpad, the felt recoil is almost non existent and since I sold the rifle, the new owner is absolutely amazed at the perceived lack of felt recoil. With factory fodder I could put round after round thru the same hole all day long at 100 yards and the cross hairs NEVER leave the kill zone! Double taps never placed the rounds more than a inch apart at 40 yards and the 400lb sow I double tapped in the chest last season flipped over backwards..... what a adrenaline rush that 20 yard encounter was!
talonxracer

Postby bushmeister » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:34 pm

gunnut wrote:[I think we could mount one on the gun and one on the shooter and compare the two reading. Maybe use a shoulder holster or embed one in ballistic jell.
The old question was, What's the difference in calculated and felt recoil? Now it's become, What's the difference in Actual compared to felt.
I'm all Ears people!

My understanding of the claims of "felt" recoil are based similarly to the superperformance ammo. If you spread the energy/pressure out over a longer period of time, you get more energy/velocity while staying under the "maximum" pressure. So if you don't have a cheater...aka, recoil pad the felt =actual. And we know the actual is reduced from your graphs, but the felt, is still voodoo to me at this point. (no offense DU :lol: ) as I said, just thinkin... It would also be great in comparing the "feels like a 20ga", or other such claims to the test. Since force= mass X accelleration, the accelerometers would work fine as long as the guns are wieghed to determine their mass.
bushmeister

Postby gunnut » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:46 am

Yes, Much the same thing when it comes to recoil reducers.
The limbsaver recoil pad reduces the felt recoil and some of the actual recoil by conforming to the shooters shoulder and increasing the surface area to dissipate the recoil. This happens at the same time the commercial recoil reduces are starting to work and takes away enough energy to minimize their effect. This is why I had to come up with a custom reducer that would react with the recoil pad. Two compression rates, one 30% reduction.

I can test most any gun with a rail or use cable ties against a bearing surface.
Anyone got a good test to compare felt recoil V. Actual?
gunnut

Postby Civil » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:07 pm

Put a brake on it :mrgreen:

Civil

Postby wildcatter » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:03 pm

Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

PreviousNext

Return to Market