Recoil and What to do about it!

Buy and Sell
Be smart about your dealings, this forum is not responsible for bad deals.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Recoil and What to do about it!

Postby Jim in Houston » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:45 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I will add my video camera to my list of equipment to haul to the range next time (soon, I hope). I can slow down the video some with Sony Vegas Movie Studio - we'll see if that is enough.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby AndrewX » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:51 pm

I've gained a lot of useful information on this forum so I thought I'd share my experience with the .450 and my efforts to make the recoil manageable without sacrificing power. I bought my 16" .450 Bushmaster upper in late summer for deer hunting this fall and winter for either my 15 year old son or I to use.

After an initial cleaning, my son and I headed to the range with 40 factory loads and 60 handloads all with the 250 grain FTX bullet. I used two different lowers during my initial load development/barrel break-in that included 100 rounds total from the bench. The first was a collapsible stock lower with a Magpul CTR with the enhanced butt pad. After 75 rounds, the recoil became bothersome and I switched over to the second lower that had a standard A2 stock which I tried with and without a 3.5 pound stock weight pulled from my Service Rifle. Out of these first 100 rounds, I shot 65, my son 35. Although I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, we both came home with slightly sore and somewhat bruised shoulders.

While, the weighted A2 stock was definitely easier on the shoulder, I knew I would be using a collapsible stock for hunting due to the lighter weight and adjustable LOP. After all, from a deer stand, you're hopefully only pulling the trigger once. As I continued load development/barrel break-in (the next 100 rounds from the bench) and after reading some posts on this forum, I went back to the range with the both lowers, 3.5 pound stock weight, Tubb CWS and buffer spring (also pulled from my AR Service Rifle) as well both a Pachmayr and Kick-eez recoil pads and Kick-eez sorbothane pad inserts. As Ross was still recovering from his accident at the time, I've not yet replaced the stock Izzy comp.

This time I was the only shooter and I started with the bare A2 lower (shots 101-105) and after each five round string, I added another of the three different components. For shots 106-110, I added the CWS and buffer spring. During the first 100 rounds, the brass had ejected at 2 o'clock and was fairly marked up. The Tubb CWS definitely improved functioning and the brass was cleanly ejected at 3:30 but recoil was not noticeably improved. For shots 111-115, I added the stock weight which definitely changed the perceived recoil. For shots 116-120, I removed the weight and slipped on the Pachmayr which didn't change the "push" but noticably softened the blow on my shoulder. For shots 121-125, I tried the collapsible stock lower with the Pachmayr with similar results. I then switched back to the A2, added the weight and pad back and thus continued to shoot shots 126-200 during which I tried different combinations of recoil pads with the various sorbothane pad inserts finally settling on the Pachmayr pad with a 1/2" Kick-eez sorbothane pad insert.

After my basic load development and barrel break-in and to get the gun ready for hunting, I mounted a 3-9 Nikon Omega and purchased a GL-Shock stock. Both purchases were based on recommendations on this forum. I went back to the range with both lowers and 50 rounds of my chosen load to sight in the new scope. Shots 201-205 were with the padded and weighted A2 stock as before. I then switched over to the collapsible stock lower with the GL-Shock (without any additional recoil pad) for shots 206-215. Wow, what a difference! Just to compare, I shot the next five rounds with the weighted and padded A2 lower before going back the the GL-Shock for shots 221-240. I then cleaned the barrel (first time since the initial cleaning at round count zero) and shot ten fouling shots with the GL-Shock stock both off the bench and sitting. At no time did I feel the need to add the Limbsaver or the desire to switch back to the padded and weighted A2 stock lower. During another trip to the range before deer season began, my son got the chance to shoot another ten rounds with the .450 with the new scope and GL-Shock stock without complaint.

Admittedly, my experiences with the .450 are subjective and still somewhat limited. My general impression is that the GL-Shock works very well to absorb the recoil and help the shooter get back on target very quickly. As I stated before, I prefer a collapsible stock over a fixed stock and the GL-Shock makes the .450 easy to shoot. Since this stock is made to fit either a mil-spec or commercial buffer tube as well as recoil about a half inch with each shot, it doesn't clamp onto the buffer tube the same way a Magpul collapsible stock does but so far, that hasn't gotten in the way of me getting a solid cheek weld. Once deer season ends (January 15th), I'll probably go back to the range with my .450 for more trigger time and I may try one of Ross's brakes now that he's reportedly on the mend.
AndrewX
16" Bushmaster upper
NRA Patron Life Member
AndrewX

Postby gunnut » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:46 pm

My latest Proto type Recoil Reducer.Image
gunnut

Postby mad_dog9999 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:50 am

Hi everyone. New to the site. I was wondering if anyone has tried to use a jp adjustable gas block to help with the recoil impulse. I don't have a 450 upper yet but I'm looking into it. It'd be nice to know if it would help along with the Ross brake and the recoil reduction a2 stock.
mad_dog9999

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:14 pm

mad_dog9999 wrote:Hi everyone. New to the site. I was wondering if anyone has tried to use a jp adjustable gas block to help with the recoil impulse. I don't have a 450 upper yet but I'm looking into it. It'd be nice to know if it would help along with the Ross brake and the recoil reduction a2 stock.

Welcome to our campfire, Mad dog. Pull up a stump!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:13 pm

mad_dog9999 wrote:Hi everyone. New to the site. I was wondering if anyone has tried to use a jp adjustable gas block to help with the recoil impulse. I don't have a 450 upper yet but I'm looking into it. It'd be nice to know if it would help along with the Ross brake and the recoil reduction a2 stock.

I have one but I've never tried it on the 450B. From my experience with it in other caliber ARs, IMHO, it is apparent that it's not foolproof. Seems like when I get it set for just the right amount of effect, the load variations, even within the same load can make it some times not lock back or bolt-over on an occasional round. When I open it up enough to make every round cycle reliably, the positive effect is usually minimized. Add to that, if I have it set to optimum effect, limp-shouldering also makes is short cycle. A tricky balancing act. That's why I resorted to some of the other mitigating fixes. Weighted carrier, spring-weights, brake, recoil pad, etc. They have had more predictable impact upon reliability. YMMV

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby tbirdman74 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:10 pm

So Gunny, been looking at your A2 stock and reducers, what's the latest and greatest? I'm gonna order late next month sometime.
Go big... or go home.
tbirdman74

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:30 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:I fired 100 rounds through my bushmaster 450 yesterday using the lower I just built with the Mako GL-Shock butt stock. No ill effects from recoil, but then I never have had any using my standard collapsable butt stock from my XM15 with a recoil pad.

I did note, as someone else has commented, that the longitudinal motion of the rifle (along the axis of the barrel) seemed to be more significant than with my standard stock.

I will need to take both lowers out to the range in the future to test them one after the other to see if there really is a difference.

At the moment, I don't see much difference from the standard stock, but it does look cool.

After shooting an additional 80 rounds with the Mako GL-Shock butt stock, I am in the market for a recoil pad to add to the stock. The problem is that the GL does not have the "lip" around the back that standard recoil pads for the T6 / A4 collapsible stocks snap around. I would need something similar to that which would slip around the fixed stock without having to screw it in.

Without the recoil pad, the felt recoil (or more accurately, the recoil I was feeling) was greater, despite the recoil reducing feature of the GL, than with the standard collapsible stock and a garden variety recoil pad.

Still looks cool, though.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:25 pm

Try a size medium slip-on from Limbsaver...about $12-13 at WallyWorld, I think.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Hoot » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:12 pm

commander faschisto wrote:Try a size medium slip-on from Limbsaver...about $12-13 at WallyWorld, I think.

Yes, they're Sims Limbsavers with the Winchester name on the packaging and they were $21.99 when I got my Dad one this past November. Great deal without the Sims name markup. There are other products wearing the Winchester name, though from different manufacturers, which cost less than what they normally fetch under their native brand names.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

PreviousNext

Return to Market