Recoil and What to do about it!

Buy and Sell
Be smart about your dealings, this forum is not responsible for bad deals.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Recoil and What to do about it!

Postby gunnut » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:22 am

I think your looking for something like this. ;) Image
gunnut

Postby Hoot » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:40 pm

Yes. In the left image you can see the foam lining they put in. My intent is to remove it. At first glance on my RRA lower, it looked like the foam was injected wet and a teflon or some such insert was shoved in to create the cavity until it cured, but closer inspection suggests it is molded outside the stock and glued into it, so removing it and cleaning off its remnants wont be as tough.

Since I replaced my original GI butt plate with a Limb Saver recoil pad, I am not constrained to have my single chamber align with the trap door. I suspect it will anyway. I will make sure the chamber/vessel/call it what you want, will be parallel with the bore line of the barrel. The screw on cap will assure whatever is inside will not rely upon the recoil pad as a movement limiter. The plastic base of the Limb Saver just isn't strong enough to take that kind of punishment given it's slung between the two end screws.

I already milled the recoil tube spacer at the precise angle so that the pad rests flat upon it as opposed to just one sharp edge of it when it mates with the remaining perimeter of the stock. I'm not sure why the designers didn't think of that, other than a conventional 5.56 doesn't recoil nearly a fierce as the 450B is supposed to.

This kind of tinkering is just my way of passing the time waiting what seems like an eternity for my upper to come. If it doesn't come soon, I may just re-invent the wheel :lol:

Thanks for the inspiration,
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby gunnut » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:47 pm

The legal beagles advised me to post this notice. I have applied for the patent for the A2 Reducer and the A2 Recoil-Less butt stocks. This is not directed to any individual who would try to copy them for their personal use and not for sale. This is directed to any individual or corporation who would make them for sale. :)
gunnut

Postby Hoot » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:27 pm

Spent the evening getting the foam out. It was quite a labor of love, but it's done cleanly and the inside walls are sanded rough to take the bondo fiberglass. I'm still brainstorming the blackpipe idea. 3/4" pipe with caps fits fine, but it's only 6/8" ID not 7/8" which is my goal and the OD of the end caps for the 1" ID pipe are too great a diameter without turning them down, to fit inside far enough due to the taper. I found some 7/8" ID steel pipe at work, but fashioning threaded caps or plugs is still under investigation. In theory, I could simply braze a disk on the end that goes down into the stock and only worry about a threaded cap or plug on one end. The adhesive they used to glue in the foam insert did not respond to Acetone, MEK or Tri-Chlor Ethylene. I may have to uncork the heavy hitter (Methylene Chloride). That stuff attacks just about anything save Nalgene or PTFE, including your liver. Thank goodness for air hoods. The things we do for entertainment... :roll:
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby bushmeister » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:33 pm

gunnut wrote:The legal beagles advised me to post this notice. I have applied for the patent for the A2 Reducer and the A2 Recoil-Less butt stocks. This is not directed to any individual who would try to copy them for their personal use and not for sale. This is directed to any individual or corporation who would make them for sale. :)

Congratulations!
bushmeister

Postby Hoot » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:30 pm

Finally had some free time this weekend to set the vessel (1" 4140 steel tubing) into the stock embedded in fiberglass entrained bondo. Between the 5 1/2" tube with internally threaded end caps and the bondo, I bet they added at least a pound to the stock and that's with nothing in the tube. Since I don't have the upper yet, I tested the weight's impact on balancing a .223, 20", varmint upper and it balances at the magazine. The lead and spring guts to the pipe will probably move the balance back even further, say to the trigger. Won't know until the bondo finishes curing and I finish reassembling everything. Something else to pass the time. Image
Hoot
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:02 am

gunnut wrote:The legal beagles advised me to post this notice. “ I have applied for the patent for the A2 Reducer and the A2 Recoil-Less butt stocks” This is not directed to any individual who would try to copy them for their personal use and not for sale. This is directed to any individual or corporation who would make them for sale. :)

Really cool!!
Stick with it and let me know how you do on this labor of love.
I've been where you are. I sent you a email with details.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby artalon » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:10 pm

fully cured bondo is extremely hard and strong for that matter.
very porous btw
MOLON LABE
artalon

Postby Hoot » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:08 pm

artalon wrote:fully cured bondo is extremely hard and strong for that matter.
very porous btw

Just noticed your reply. Yes, after 700+ rounds, it's still as good as when I cast it. When used in conjunction with a muzzle brake, weighted bolt carrier and limbsaver recoil pad, it's a pussy cat. Just a push instead of a punch. I have shot as many as 200 rounds in one session and have yet to leave the range with a sore shoulder. I recommend buying one of Bushmeister's stocks if like me, you're sensitive to recoil. After some expensive surgery on my shooting shoulder, I like it to stay the way it is. ;)

Hoot
Hoot

Postby bushmeister » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:20 pm

Hoot wrote:
artalon wrote:fully cured bondo is extremely hard and strong for that matter.
very porous btw

I recommend buying one of Bushmeister's stocks if like me, you're sensitive to recoil.
Hoot

Actually those are gunnut 's recoil-less stocks. I have one, but can't take credit for it.
bushmeister

PreviousNext

Return to Market