Looking for Varminter upper that doesn't exhist

Buy and Sell
Be smart about your dealings, this forum is not responsible for bad deals.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Looking for Varminter upper that doesn't exhist

Postby wildcatter » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:08 pm

BillytheKid wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Hornady makes a 55Gr soft point that shoots almost identical to
55 Gr FMJ Remington UMC. That what I'm using right now.

Good to know, thanks. So, perhaps the 62gr hollow points will shoot similar enough to the 62gr green tips.

Yup, for all practical purposes, you won't see much difference unless you're shooting very small targets or until you get to the longer ranges. If Minute-of-Grizzle applies, you really won't see any difference in point-of-impacts. What I'm trying to say is, any of the "Pointed" 62's will all "Pretty Much" hit the same poi, kinda. Same-Same for all of the "Pointed" 55's, kinda, but you pretty much must be a purest to not like the results or are after thoughs very small targets at longer ranges.. These thoughts are not for the Bench Guys at all, but if I'm shooting ground squirrles at ranges under 200yds, then they get hit no matter which weight class of bullet I use, sight one of them in and the others are still killing. Of course we're talking about simular bullets in any given class, not a lead 62-vs-an aluminum 62 etc..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BillytheKid » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:57 pm

wildcatter wrote:
BillytheKid wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Hornady makes a 55Gr soft point that shoots almost identical to
55 Gr FMJ Remington UMC. That what I'm using right now.

Good to know, thanks. So, perhaps the 62gr hollow points will shoot similar enough to the 62gr green tips.

Yup, for all practical purposes, you won't see much difference unless you're shooting very small targets or until you get to the longer ranges. If Minute-of-Grizzle applies, you really won't see any difference in point-of-impacts. What I'm trying to say is, any of the "Pointed" 62's will all "Pretty Much" hit the same poi, kinda. Same-Same for all of the "Pointed" 55's, kinda, but you pretty much must be a purest to not like the results or are after thoughs very small targets at longer ranges.. These thoughts are not for the Bench Guys at all, but if I'm shooting ground squirrles at ranges under 200yds, then they get hit no matter which weight class of bullet I use, sight one of them in and the others are still killing. Of course we're talking about simular bullets in any given class, not a lead 62-vs-an aluminum 62 etc..t

Ah, ok, so WC's input here is making me think that I should do it the other way around. That is, I really should sight in using the 62gr hollow points for hunting, and the 62gr green tips will then be well within parameters for the (much less likely) SHTF scenario...

Thanks again to everyone for helping!
Bill
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Ghost Dog » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:13 pm

Bill, I use the M193 55 grain FMJ (just got 550 rounds) for paper punching and Hornady's 55 grain flex tip for coyotes.

When it comes to zombies, remember rule #02 -"Always Double Tap"
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby BillytheKid » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:32 pm

Ghost Dog wrote:Bill, I use the M193 55 grain FMJ (just got 550 rounds) for paper punching and Hornady's 55 grain flex tip for coyotes.

I had the idea that heavier projectiles were needed for coyote? In fact, I was kinda drooling (just a little) over Hornadys 120gr 3400fps GMX Superformance (Kalifornia compliant ya know).

What do you think? Would 55gr DRT a coyote?

Gotta sleep now. Being a milkman, I have to wake at 2:00 am. See you all tomorrow.

EDIT; boy was I sleepy last night. There is no .223 in 120gr at all. sorry, I was tired and got mixed up.

Bill
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby wildcatter » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:48 pm

BillytheKid wrote:
Ghost Dog wrote:Bill, I use the M193 55 grain FMJ (just got 550 rounds) for paper punching and Hornady's 55 grain flex tip for coyotes.

I had the idea that heavier projectiles were needed for coyote? In fact, I was kinda drooling (just a little) over Hornadys 120gr 3400fps GMX Superformance (Kalifornia compliant ya know).

What do you think? Would 55gr DRT a coyote?

Gotta sleep now. Being a milkman, I have to wake at 2:00 am. See you all tomorrow.

EDIT; boy was I sleepy last night. There is no .223 in 120gr at all. sorry, I was tired and got mixed up.

Bill

Hey Willie, I got some custom .224-120's. They're about ten miles long..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Previous

Return to Market