Looking for Varminter upper that doesn't exhist

Buy and Sell
Be smart about your dealings, this forum is not responsible for bad deals.

Moderator: MudBug

Looking for Varminter upper that doesn't exhist

Postby BillytheKid » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:08 pm

Maybe I'm just asking too much, but I thought I'd ask you guys for input.

I have been looking for a complete upper assembly. The main target is Coyote. Since they are pack animals, I want greatg accuracy with the ability for quick follow up shots. So, I was thinking (oh-oh, run away, far far away! lol):

.223/5.56 Semi Auto flat top AR-15 style upper receiver with ejection port dust cover door

24" bull barrel with full length flutes, and a gill style muzzle break added (keeps the flash from makeing me lose sight of targets, as well as keeping rifle on target, and hopefully preventing grass fires?)

Vented free floated aluminum hand guard with dual sling studs (one for sling, the other for bipod)

Everything black, Nothing shiny.

All for a reasonable price, as "custom builds" seem to break my bank. I purchased my .450b upper assembly for around $550.00, and I would consider it to be "specialized". Is it too much to ask for a varminter with these featured for close to that price?

Bushmaster offers everything but a muzzel break on their Varminter and it's still pretty costly at $785.00.

Any other ideas?

Bill
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Re: Looking for Varminter upper that doesn't exhist

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:53 am

Go to Midway USA:
Stock #
631-384. $619.99 ( has muzzle brake )
534-231. $549.99
Both are Bushmasters.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby BD1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:58 am

A 24" bull barrel with full length flutes is gonna be a budget buster in any caliber on any platform. The 20" 1 in 8 twist will let you use the 77 grainers, which IMO are a big advantage in the wind.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Ghost Dog » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:10 pm

I use the Bushmaster Predator upper for coyote hunting, you have to look around but you can find it for 550 or so.
Bill, I'm just asking, but have you been out dog hunting? A 24" bull barrel is a lot of weight to be humping around
and if your like me all the other junk. Plus if you go night hunting there's still more junk.
Also what type of areas will you hunt? I go from corn fields, can see for miles, to forested areas where that 24" might
be hard to swing.

We took a dog at 200 yards this winter in the corn fields. The Predator did just fine.
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby BillytheKid » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:23 pm

Thank you all very much for your helpful input. If a 24" existed, I am able to manage the weight well enough (I lift and carry heavy stuff all day long for my job), and had the idea that the longest barrel could give me the best distance and accuracy.

It's looking like the 20" predator length is what I really need to put all of my ideas together.

Ghost Dog wrote:Bill, I'm just asking, but have you been out dog hunting? A 24" bull barrel is a lot of weight to be humping around and if your like me all the other junk. Plus if you go night hunting there's still more junk.

Also what type of areas will you hunt? I go from corn fields, can see for miles, to forested areas where that 24" might
be hard to swing.

I haven't hunted anything before. I have done a ton of shooting, and used to be quite a good shot when I was younger. My brother has hunted for decades, and, with my son back from Afghanistan, I figured that hunting would be a great way for the three of us to "bond" again.

My brother has hooked up with a sheep farmer in Marin, CA. All he has to do is call, and the guy says "come on over, I seen 'em in the south pasture yesterday".

Thanks for the links TS, Ill keep an eye on those and also check with my favorite local gun store to see if he can beat those prices.

I look forward to any other input to come.
Bill
BillytheKid

Postby Ghost Dog » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:00 pm

Hey Bill,not knowing anything about each other, I hope I didn't offend you with the weight thing. Some people think an AR is just to heavy for any
type of hunting. Seems like an extra pound or two matters to some, but I'm like you about that.

This is an excellant site to learn about coyote hunting, maybe your there already.
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/fo ... hreads.php

Besides the rifle you'll need a way to call them in. At first I tried hand calls, let's just say I could of left the rifle at home and had just a good of time enjoying the beautiful outdoors. I didn't want to spend $200 to $400 on a Fox Pro so I built my own electronic caller for under $100.
First time out with it we called one in and just like you'll read he cirlced us and came in down wind.

If you are like me once you have your heart set on something, THAT'S WHAT YOU WANT!!! So don't give up on the 24" upper, it's just going to
take some time to find it. Here's an interesting link about barrell lenth -
http://www.accuratereloading.com/223sb.html
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby BillytheKid » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:23 pm

No worries Ghost Dog, no offense taken at all. I am willing, however, to listen to "Those Who Know", and maybe even be convinced! LOL

Thanks for the link to that forum. I'll be checking that out for sure.

The data in that accuracy experiment seems to show quite a bit of "scatter", but, the general average seems to show the tightest groupings at a 20" barrel length?

My brother has owned a FoxPro Fury for awhile now, and has called in and killed several coyote with it. So, we will be using that for sure.

Thanks again for your help, and I look forward to any other input as well.
Bill
BillytheKid

Postby BillytheKid » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:46 pm

Well, the price offered convinced me. I can now say "but, honey, it was ON SALE!" LOL

I picked up a Bushmaster Predator 20" for $550.00.

It has the ejection port dust cover, full fluted free floated heavy barrel, vented hand guard, and is all black.

Pretty much everything I was looking for but a muzzel break.

I greatly appreciate all of the kind, helpful input from you guys.

My next quest is to find a scope for it. I wonder what's "on sale" LOL
BillytheKid

Postby BillytheKid » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:25 pm

Well, after some serious research, specification and price comparisons, I purchased a Minox 3-9 X 50mm with a BDC reticle.

Pics to follow as soon as I receive it and mount it.

Thanks again to everyone for your helpful input.

This is the best forum ever in the history of ever!

Bill
BillytheKid

Postby Ghost Dog » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:56 pm

So, when we going dog hunting?????? :D :D :D
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Next

Return to Market