FS: .300 OSSM Upper SOLD

Buy and Sell
Be smart about your dealings, this forum is not responsible for bad deals.

Moderator: MudBug

FS: .300 OSSM Upper SOLD

Postby Hoot » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:22 pm

Sold Pending Funds

The deal I had for selling my .300 OSSM did not work out, so I am listing it for anyone interested in a "Thumpette".

Here's a discussion, rich with pictures from when Olympic introduced it, in case you are unfamiliar with it That's not me in the picture.

I purchased the upper new this past spring. Though not a glamor shot, here's is a picture of it, mounted on my RRA NM lower, which it shares with my 450b.

Here's what the cartridge looks like compared to the 450b.

It is based upon the necked up Winchester 25 WSSM case. HSM manufactures ammunition for it, but you can realize significant savings reloading it yourself. To that end, included in the deal is a set of Hornady New Dimension Custom Dies, which sell for about $90.00 shipped, when you can find them. Also included is the WSSM shell holder for a press and the shell holder for the Lee Hand Primer. Also included is about 100 brass cases and 1 box of HSM commercial ammunition.

The complete rifle or upper comes with no accommodation for a muzzle device. I had the muzzle professionally threaded and a Ross brake made for it. The brake is bead blasted to a mild patina to match the barrel. Everyone who see it want one. Most importantly, it significantly reduces the recoil. Much more so than the same design brake on my 450b. I believe that is because of the higher velocity and smaller caliber than the 450b. Imagine a .30-06 on an AR15 platform and you can appreciate the muzzle brake. The 150gr factory loads come out of it at 2950-3000 fps. On an AR15 platform! .30 RAR, eat your heart out... I have reloaded Hornady 180gr SP's to around 2850 fps as well. You can load through three accuracy nodes using the 150gr bullets starting at sub .308 velocity up through super .30-06 / lite .300 WM.

The upper does not come with the scope, risers, or rings in the picture, nor the bipod. They're going on my LAR-8 when it arrives. It really likes Speer 150, 165 and 180gr HotCors or DeepCurls and it shoots Berger 155gr VLD Hunting bullets the best of all.

I haven't inspected it under a magnifier, but it is in near new condition. A fairly noteworthy fellow seen around many forums, who goes by the name c_bass16, came out with a mod to the magazine that allows loading the cartridges up to 2.40 COL and I incorporated it in mine, should you like to load them long. It has no impact upon handling standard 2.26 COL loads. The magazine is a single stack, much like the one in our 450b. Real close. The mod is professional looking.

The caliber is supported in the current revision of QuickLoad, which was very helpful in working up load experiments for it. It likes IMR 8208XBR, RL15 H4895 and Varget. I do not use ball powders, so I'm not familiar with which ones of those it likes. Like my 450 Bushmaster, this caliber benefited from and has my CCWS mod in in, which can be removed if you don't like it.

With the barrel thread job, brake, reloading components and factory ammo, I have $950.00+ into this dynamo, but I've had my fun experiencing it this past spring and summer. Now, it's time to experience something new. Having gotten my share of entertainment out of it, I am asking $700 for the whole setup, plus whatever it costs to ship to you, which should run around $25. No FFL needed to transfer it and it'll drop right onto any AR15 standard lower.

Let me know if you're interested in this. I already have a new toy on the way and am not interested in any trades.

Thanks,

Hoot
Last edited by Hoot on Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: FS: .300 OSSM Upper + Reloading Setup

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:11 am

why do I always have flat pockets..........wh :cry: y
Al in Mi

Postby Bob L Swagger » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:45 am

Nice upper Hoot! Im thinking of ditching my .30RAR for this.....
Bob L Swagger

Postby Hoot » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:48 am

Bob L Swagger wrote:Nice upper Hoot! Im thinking of ditching my .30RAR for this.....

If you're familiar with Mike Milli, the visionary owner of Dtech, this WSSM AR line are his design. He collaborated with Olympic and assisted in them getting set up to manufacture them. He still makes the same units one by one at his place up north of me.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby kottke_35 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:37 am

I wish I was not broke. :oops: Very nice though Hoot.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Bob L Swagger » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:11 am

Would someone please buy this before I do!!! I am very tempted!!!!!!!!!!
Bob L Swagger

Postby Stealthshooter » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:50 pm

I'm thinking about selling a Kidney!!
Stealthshooter

Postby Bob L Swagger » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:59 pm

Hoot, what is the round count?
Bob L Swagger

Postby Hoot » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:31 pm

Bob L Swagger wrote:Hoot, what is the round count?

Well, I sat down with the calculator and the range log. Looks like 410 rounds. Distance to the lands, with my reference 150gr NBT bullet has not changed enough to be within the margin of error on the caliper.

50 of those were shoot 1 clean x 10, shoot 2 clean x 10, shoot 5 clean x 4 Break-in shots.

Also, there were 100 fire form shots w/o bullets.

By contrast, I have 1135 rounds through the 450b.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Bob L Swagger » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:05 pm

Thanks for such a quick response..
Bob L Swagger

Next

Return to Market