Muzzle brakes for sale

Buy and Sell
Be smart about your dealings, this forum is not responsible for bad deals.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Muzzle brakes for sale

Postby Hoot » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:25 am

Jeepejeep wrote:Thanks, Hoot. This looks like the way to go. I doubt the heat would be more than welding so I think it's OK.

If you have a shielding gas tank, you might want to rig up a hose in the chamber end of the bore and trickle gas down the bore toward the muzzle end to reduce scaling on the last inch or two of the rifling from heat. I'm not a welder, so I'm not sure what kind of gas is best to use. In an ideal world, you'd do that in a vacuum I suppose. For sure, you want to clean the bore of any residue and degrease thoroughly before cooking the end of it so they don't bake in.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:58 am

Just some thoughts here. Let me understand this, we're silver soldering or pinning on the brake to satisfy a NY requirement, is that about right?

Question, after you solder this on, how can the Secret Police tell it's been soldered?

I assume they can't really, they might try screwing it off and then can't or something like that.

So, if this is the case, why not tell them, if asked, you soldered it on, just don't tell them what kind of solder. There are many chemical solders that apply like Loctite "RED", wherein, after proper installation, the brake won't be able to be twisted off, without wrecking the barrel. If you ever need to take the brake off you'll need a simple propane torch and about 400 degrees of heat to release the compound???

Just a thought..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Jeepejeep » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:39 am

wildcatter wrote:Just some thoughts here. Let me understand this, we're silver soldering or pinning on the brake to satisfy a NY requirement, is that about right?

Question, after you solder this on, how can the Secret Police tell it's been soldered?

I assume they can't really, they might try screwing it off and then can't or something like that.

So, if this is the case, why not tell them, if asked, you soldered it on, just don't tell them what kind of solder. There are many chemical solders that apply like Loctite "RED", wherein, after proper installation, the brake won't be able to be twisted off, without wrecking the barrel. If you ever need to take the brake off you'll need a simple propane torch and about 400 degrees of heat to release the compound???

Just a thought..

..t

This is true and I've thought of that as well. I probably will never be approached ay law enforcement about it but there was a group arrest of Long Island gun store owners/clerks by the Nassau County DA who is very anti-gun claimimg the stores sold illegal AR's or telling people how to make them illegal. It's bogus and a witch hunt that hopefully be thrown out of court but more to the point is there have been instances of LE going to ranges and basically harassing AR shooters by inspecting their AR's .
If this happens, I want to be as legal as possible. Also if checked by NYDEC when hunting, I want to be legal.
All this just until I get out of this horrible State in 2 years or so.Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby Jeepejeep » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:47 pm

I got the compensator from Ross and it is a beautiful piece of work. It was here in 2 days. I commend him for great service and a really nice product.
Seeing as NYS law says a flash spressor or even a barrel that is threaded to accept one is illegal, I decided I'll gring off the threads and weld the compensator on. This should remove any and all doubt as to the legality of this upper.
I'll post pics when it's done. I will finish the barrel and comp with Duracote. I hope it holds up well.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby BD1 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:33 pm

Whoa, Whoa there good buddy, don't be welding a frigging brake on your hunting rig. Unless you plan on spending the rest of your life in the peoples republic of NY, protect that barrel. You might want to be able to hit something with it. You might want it to wear something different in the future. I'll lend you my legal NY brake, you green locktite it on and go for it in NY. When you're done, send it back, and if you ever live in one of the free states of the US you'll be able to wind on your muzzle device of choice.

In my experience, when you get down to it with the NYS boys in green, they will look at your barrel and decide if what's on the end is a comp, or a flash hider, and determine if they can remove it or not. If it has wrench flats, they'll try until they break something. Green locktite will defeat a wrench, but can be removed with the heat from a propane plumber's torch, (and a "secret tool"), well below the heat level that wreaks the bushy parkerized finish. A barrel diameter comp, with no wrench flats, is the way to go. Silver solder is excess, green locktite is acceptable. Send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send you the brake. No charge. Put it on and go see the boys in green to be certain they're OK with it. If they don't like it, send it back and weld away.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Jeepejeep » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:42 pm

BD1 wrote:Whoa, Whoa there good buddy, don't be welding a frigging brake on your hunting rig. Unless you plan on spending the rest of your life in the peoples republic of NY, protect that barrel. You might want to be able to hit something with it. You might want it to wear something different in the future. I'll lend you my legal NY brake, you green locktite it on and go for it in NY. When you're done, send it back, and if you ever live in one of the free states of the US you'll be able to wind on your muzzle device of choice.

In my experience, when you get down to it with the NYS boys in green, they will look at your barrel and decide if what's on the end is a comp, or a flash hider, and determine if they can remove it or not. If it has wrench flats, they'll try until they break something. Green locktite will defeat a wrench, but can be removed with the heat from a propane plumber's torch, (and a "secret tool"), well below the heat level that wreaks the bushy parkerized finish. A barrel diameter comp, with no wrench flats, is the way to go. Silver solder is excess, green locktite is acceptable. Send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send you the brake. No charge. Put it on and go see the boys in green to be certain they're OK with it. If they don't like it, send it back and weld away.
BD

Thank you for your generous offer!
I already got a brake and the green locktite is NOT legal in NYS. Yeah, the DEC guys would probably let it go but the Nassau County DA where I live is VERY anti-gun and has recently arrested a nubmer of gun store owners/clerks on her vandetta against "assault weapons". She claims they sold NYS illegal weapons or told people how to get around NYS laws. All BS and we're all hoping the cases get thrown out. Another thing being done is police dropping in on ranges and harassing anyone with an AR, SKS or AK checking them out thoroughly and really breaking balls. I want to avoid any problems.
Jeepejeep

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:57 pm

Wow....
I don't know about yawl, but I am so glad that I live in Texas.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:53 am

yeah, Michigan ain't so bad either.

on a side note and from one machinest to another, Ross you make a fine product.
Al in Mi

Postby Jeepejeep » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:20 am

Yeah, tell me about it. Cal,Mass,NY,NJ,RI have to be the worst as far as gun laws go. Like living in another country from the rest of real America. I loved spending a few weeks in Wyoming and how guns were just another part of life there. Amazing difference.
And yeah, Ross makes a beautiful brake.
Last edited by Jeepejeep on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeepejeep

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:42 pm

The closer you get to those slimy politicians scene of the crime, the worse it gets.
We don't call it "The Northeastern United States Communist Blok" for nothing.
Sorry if that's a bit harsh but except for VT, yawl got it pretty rough
Up there.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Market