Muzzle brakes for sale

Buy and Sell
Be smart about your dealings, this forum is not responsible for bad deals.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Muzzle brakes for sale

Postby Hoot » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:50 pm

Ghost Dog wrote:Just thinking ot loud, since I don't have a Ross brake yet.
1. Doesn't seem that hard to switch out, Ross for the range, Izzy for hunting.
Correct if I'm wrong because I haven't done it yet.
2. My biggest concern: how would that effect your trajectory or POI.
Seems like it would.

I'd be inclined to agree WRT #2. That certainly has been my experience, although the 450b is hard to throw off a lot.

A fellow who goes by the handle "warped" on another forum, has a company called WCI and he makes a pepper pot type brake that is designed to produce less noise, while providing plenty of brake effect. 50 Beowulf owners are running it and have spoken highly of its effectiveness with less of the deafening sound effect you attribute to an effective brake. Of course, 9 out of 10 brake manufacturers make the same claim that theirs is not as loud.

Bottom line is regardless of who makes it, the noise heads off in the direction of the gas. If the gas isn't going away from you, most of the noise isn't either.

To clarify on a point made earlier. The gas does not have to be angled backwards for a brake to be effective, though that certainly can add to it's effectiveness. It just needs to not be going straight out the end of the barrel, to reduce the rearward thrust.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby BillytheKid » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:45 pm

So, then, trying not to be Rube Goldburg here, could a mini megaphone cone be placed in front of the hand guard to redirect the sound forward again?
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Hoot » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:03 pm

BillytheKid wrote:So, then, trying not to be Rube Goldburg here, could a mini megaphone cone be placed in front of the hand guard to redirect the sound forward again?

No. Once released, sound waves propagate in all directions, though they propagate better in the direction they were launched. They also bounce off of objects. The harder the surface of that object and the larger the undisturbed surface area with respect to the wavelength of the sound, the less the attenuation of the reflected waves.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jeepejeep » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:11 pm

I fired one shot this year without ear protection and got a doe. Noise was loud and the ears were ringing but no more than they do with my '06.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:46 pm

To clarify on a point made earlier. The gas does not have to be angled backwards for a brake to be effective, though that certainly can add to it's effectiveness. It just needs to not be going straight out the end of the barrel, to reduce the rearward thrust.

Hoot's right. Even a 90 degree sheer works. I was speaking specifically to the Ross design which does have the gills slightly angled rearward. But even at 90 degrees, the blast is significant. Maybe I should consider making a slow motion video.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby BillytheKid » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:00 pm

It sounds like we need to invent a muzzle break suppressor ... no, wait, that doesn't even make sense . . . LOL
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby 9x19MdM » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:13 am

Hoot wrote: Hopefully, the Izzy brake is not a nightmare to get off. I've had to fight, even cut some other military brakes off.

Hoot

FYI... My Izzy was not even hand tight!
While unpacking the upper, I grabbed the end of the barrel to pull the upper out of the plastic bag, and the Izzy twisted in my hand.
9x19MdM

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:25 am

FWIW, if you guys do use paypal, use descretion when typing in what the funds are for. They (paypal) have in recent transactions, given Ross some grief. I usually say "mill work labor" or "Machined parts" or something along those lines. Paypal doesn't like it that these parts relate to firearms.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:05 am

Colohunter wrote:I figured it would have to increase the noise. I always wear hearing protection when I'm at the range, but I don't when I'm elk hunting. I've considered it know that I have a nice set of Peltor electronic muffs, but I cover a lot of ground when elk hunting and they would get uncomfortable. The reduced recoil would be nice for the bench, but I'm not sure if I want the extra blast out in the field.

Try some of the "in-ear" buds - not the foam ear plugs, but the electronic ones that fit in your ear. These are on sale at Cabelas - http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Hunting-Accessories/Hearing-Protection-Enhancement%7C/pc/104791680/c/104734980/sc/104381280/Walkers-Ultra-Ear/707782.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhunting-hunting-accessories-hearing-protection-enhancement%2F_%2FN-1100132%3FWT.z_mc_id1%3D43000000039372180%26pcrid%3D%26WT.srch%3D1%26WT.tsrc%3DPPC%26WT.mc_id%3Dgoogle%7Csho_Shooting%2BAccessories_Hearing%2BProtection%2B%252F%2BEnhancements%7CUSA%26rid%3D20&WTz_l=PPC%3Bcat104381280 (longest URL I have ever seen). They amplify sounds while you are stalking, but cut off at 90 db, when the rifle is fired, then act like regular ear plugs. There are many others out there, if you google electronic ear plugs.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:57 pm

I got my 6.5 Grendel Brake today from Ross.
SWEET!!
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Market