Muzzle brakes for sale

Buy and Sell
Be smart about your dealings, this forum is not responsible for bad deals.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Muzzle brakes for sale

Postby Hoot » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:04 am

Stealthshooter wrote:Great product even better service!! Thanks Ross!

[url]http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab278/shayn8103/IMG_20110803_113819.jpg[[/url]

If this hasn't occurred to anyone with a Ross brake. When you're done cleaning the bore, floss through the gills with a paper tower twirled to a point to wick any solvent out as it tends to pool in there. If you don't, when you put it in the case, the muzzle end of the case can accumulate the solvent and some materials, like foam rubber, do not like some of the solvents we use. If you remove the brake to clean your bore, disregard.

WRT frequent brake removal and re-installation, here's a slick trick to get around the brake not indexing anymore. Plumbers Tape. On my .300 WSSM, the barrel didn't come with a crush washer or shims and of course, it indexed about 10 degrees past TDC. Layer up enough teflonated plumbers tape to make it hard to turn (not seized) and it'll stay there until you need to take it off. After removal, pick the tape out from the threads on both the brake and muzzle threads, reapply and put it back on. A roll of tape will do countless mounts and to date, has resisted the heat and cleaning solvents, which is a big deal. A lot of folks using just the crush washer don't realize that some solvents should not be allowed to wick into the threads and dry repeatedly, as some of them can corrode regular and stainless steel over time. Most folks with chromed bores don't use copper solvent, but it is an example of a corrosive (over time) solution.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:09 am

I am still using the crush washer, but to help prevent corrosion, I use NOALOX to precoat the threads before mounting. I have used this anti-oxidant or others like it for years on HAM radio gear and other small firearms projects and it seems to work extremely well in preventing corrosion. I think I used OX GARD, (another brand of anti-oxidant), on my Mini 14 muzzle brake back around 1993 and when I finally took it off a few weeks ago so I could reinstall the factory front site so I could sell the rifle, it was still protecting the blued steel as well as the threaded parts. If it works that good in preventing oxidation for 18 years, it should be fine for my application.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Bob L Swagger » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:49 pm

Just to let everyone know, Ross was involved in a crash (truck vs. ATV) earlier this month. Ross was operating the ATV, he was injured and hospitalized for a short while. It should be a while before he is back in action making brakes. I wish him and his family the best and hope he has a full and speedy recovery.
Bob L Swagger

Postby Hoot » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:53 pm

Bob, I heard that some time ago, do you have any update on Ross? Is he doing OK?

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jeepejeep » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:22 pm

That sucks! I hope he is well on the road to recovery. He seems to be a truly nice guy.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby Stealthshooter » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:36 pm

Prayers sent His way for a fast recovery!!
Stealthshooter

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:45 am

OUCH! I hope Ross is okay. I sent him an email just a few hours ago about another brake. Can you give us a staus update on how he is doing?
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby BillytheKid » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:16 pm

I am praying for him.
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Bob L Swagger » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:41 pm

I dont have any further information as to his condition, I only know what I know because I was trying to purchase another brake from him. There is also some info on snipershide.com about the incident.
Bob L Swagger

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:29 pm

Prayers sent.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Market