Muzzle brakes for sale

Buy and Sell
Be smart about your dealings, this forum is not responsible for bad deals.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Muzzle brakes for sale

Postby Hoot » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:03 pm

bpenrod wrote:Hello,
New to this site, just purchased a Ruger American in 450 BM with a 16" barrel. The factory muzzle brake for it is around ~ $130, is Ross still making them? The thread looks a little old and the site will not let me PM him until I use it some more!

Last I heard, he's still cranking them out. Email him here: rem40xb1@msn.com

While brakes on a 450b are not as night and day as on an overbore caliber like one was on my 300 WSSM, they still reduce perceived recoil enough to make them worth while. The one Ross makes does as good a job as any at substantial savings over most. I recommend the SS version since it costs the same a CrMo. You can blacken stainless if it bugs you. Just putting a firm bead blast on them reduces their brightness, relative to a parkerized barrel, so much that many folks stop there. I bought some of that Caswell 370 SS Blackener and though its a little more touchy applying than cold blue/black on plain steel, it works just as well. The smallest bottle they sell will last you a lifetime of small SS parts and brakes.

This has been already discussed ad nauseum, but when you divert some of the rocket blast 90 degrees closer to the plane your ears are in then yeah, the sound pressure level goes up. Worse for folks shooting on either side of you. Please don't shoot brakes without hearing protection, even when hunting. Wear amplified muffs. I've shot my 450b twice w/o protection. Once due to a distraction and once hunting. The latter was because my muff batteries went dead in the stand. In the latter case, it was good that I planted the deer right where it stood, as by the time my hearing came back online, any wounded deer that ran off would have been out of earshot long before my hearing recovered. Don't do it on a dare, to prove how tough you are.The insults visited upon your body when you're young, come back like the ghost's in Scrooge, to haunt you later on. I'm not being an old granny on this. Just don't do it! WRT recoil, yes, I'm an old granny on that. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:55 pm

bpenrod wrote:Hello,
New to this site, just purchased a Ruger American in 450 BM with a 16" barrel. The factory muzzle brake for it is around ~ $130, is Ross still making them? The thread looks a little old and the site will not let me PM him until I use it some more!

Yes! Tell him you want the same model he just made for me.
IMG_6700.JPG
Ruger American 450 B ROSS brake.
IMG_6700.JPG (2.48 MiB) Viewed 33711 times
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:23 am

yeah he's still making them, does PP, order it today, have it for the weekend.

email him direct rem40xb1@msn.com
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:49 am

Hey TSD. Did you do some post production "melt-down" on that one after you got it or is Ross now doing finer work? That one on your rifle looks very nice.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:43 am

Hoot wrote:Hey TSD. Did you do some post production "melt-down" on that one after you got it or is Ross now doing finer work? That one on your rifle looks very nice.

Hoot

Straight from Ross. He's improved the design. I discussed this a bit in my video.
https://youtu.be/7VZqJKf1FwA
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Thom28 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:15 pm

I e-mailed Ross and he has 2 brakes for the 450BM upper. A 3 port which is 2 1/8" long and a 4 port which is 2 3/8" long. For you that have the Ross muzzle brake, which one of these do you recommend? Any information would be appreciated. I do have the 20" upper. Thanks for the help
Thom
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Postby Hoot » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:06 pm

Thom28 wrote:I e-mailed Ross and he has 2 brakes for the 450BM upper. A 3 port which is 2 1/8" long and a 4 port which is 2 3/8" long. For you that have the Ross muzzle brake, which one of these do you recommend? Any information would be appreciated. I do have the 20" upper. Thanks for the help
Thom

I only just got my first 4 gill brake yesterday, so I can not compare it to my 3 gill brake. In theory (see sig) one would get more reduction from a 4 gill, assuming the first three didn't bleed all the gas off already. I would expect there to be more volume of trapped gas in a larger caliber for no other reason than the bore has more volume than say a 30 caliber bore of the same length. There are more factors than that of course. We have the benefit of an accelerometer trace for a 3 gill thanks to the work done by Gunnut years back, but not so with the 4 gill, so its down to perceived differences which are in the eye of the beholder. I will soon have the 4 gill experience to add to my own. Some folks here have had both already, so I'll wait for them to wade in.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:35 pm

My four gill on the Ruger American is pure sweetness! Here's a video where I Sight it and other rifles in. It's a two part video so check out both. You'll see the four gill Ross brake in action.
Part one.
https://youtu.be/7VZqJKf1FwA

Part two.
https://youtu.be/N0yIE92fgGc
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:14 am

Check out this beauty for my cousins 6.5 Grendel that I built for him.. I ordered 2 of these.
IMG_1130.PNG
IMG_1130.PNG (901.95 KiB) Viewed 33282 times
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby ratatatman » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:29 pm

I would like to purchase a chrome molly muzzle brake from you for a 1'' straight AR barrel. I can send you a Pay Pal payment or go get a money order and send it.
Thanks, William Franklin xxx-xxx-xxx phone number removed
ratatatman

PreviousNext

Return to Market