Knowledge base is installed, I need ideas

Talk about site problems, suggestions, etc.

Moderator: MudBug

Knowledge base is installed, I need ideas

Postby MudBug » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:47 pm

I'm hoping we can use this to add some of the info that turned out to be so helpful from the calguns thread.

I need ideas for categories like a 450b loads database like THIS ONE over at ar15.com filled with user submitted loads, and other stuff like the Hornady load Data.

Maybe a category called called "What has been tried" with subcategories called "What Worked" and "What Didn't Work"

Any ideas?

We are open for submissions, especially from those of you that did so much work.

If you want to add an article let me know and I will set your permissions so you can enter it.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Re: Knowledge base is installed, I need ideas

Postby slash2 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:27 am

is it possible to copy the whole CalGuns thread to this forum, so it can be searched and referenced from here?

I like the idea of a what works and what didn't section.

Is there a reloading spread sheet that we could access and update with recipes and comments? A users living document?

How about a 450B photo catagory, just for peoples 450B related photos, their gun, shoots, kills?
/2
slash2

Postby MudBug » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:37 am

I don't think there is a way to import the entire thread from calguns, but it would be nice to keep the important posts from over there.

My hope is to have some kind of database for loads, I'm not sure about a user editable spread sheet, but I do have a section of the knowledge base for this, I just haven't made it accessible to the users yet.

Yes, I can make either a picture thread, or just a photo section.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby gunnut » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:03 pm

I really like the "Works" "Don't Work" section. I have somethings for both.
gunnut

Postby gunnut » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:07 pm

Maybe you could break it down by bullets? 250 and under, over 250, Lead and FMJ?
gunnut

Postby MudBug » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:30 pm

I "Think" I have it working now, it's a beta Mod (Which means it's still in development) and I spent hours today trying to figure out how to work it.

This new version of phpbb (The forum software) is much more secure than previous versions and so there is a lot of adding permissions for people to be able to do stuff. Hell, it took me couple hours just to figure out why I wasn't able to start a thread, I am a Forum Founder which means I have more power than even an admin, and I had to give myself permission to start a new thread, or even reply to the sample thread the forum came with :lol:

I'm getting a handle on it though, and tonight I will start creating catagories for the knowledge base, I already made a test one which includes the hornady reload data sheets.
Eric

MudBug
Site Admin

Postby fishhead » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:17 am

Kudo's to all. who have worked so hard and freely shared the results.

In anticipation of my new 16" 450 uppper which should arrive by the end of the week I did a search for reloading data for the 450 last night and was pleasantly surprised by what I found a Calguns. :D

I'm particularly interested in the very accurate loads which were posted in calguns and the use of hardcast bullets. I've got a fair amount of experience reloading and reading the thread last night brought back some memories of cratered and flattened primers.

Keep up the good work. I'm anticipating developing or working up some cast loads in the 280gr plus range so if anyone has some load recipies that they would like to share it would be much appreciated.
fishhead

Postby MudBug » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:13 am

OK guys, I have a least a temporary way for submitting reload data for the database. Check THIS THREAD
Eric

MudBug
Site Admin

Postby brown bear 64 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:38 am

Any new information is helpful. Remington has a new soft point round for the 250. Have photos of folks rifles AND harvests. I am brand new to this site and just registered. I plan on getting a .450 bushmaster soon. I really wish they would make a 200 grain bullet for deer, they already have the 250 for elk, black and grizzly bears, and a monster 300 grain for everything else. I live in Idaho Falls now but we are in the process of relocating back to Kansas City. Everyone that I have read has just loved this round. This does seem to me to be the most popular big bore ar-15 round. Keep in touch and keep on shooting!!!
brown bear 64

Postby wildcatter » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:40 am

brown bear 64 wrote:Any new information is helpful. Remington has a new soft point round for the 250. Have photos of folks rifles AND harvests. I am brand new to this site and just registered. I plan on getting a .450 bushmaster soon. I really wish they would make a 200 grain bullet for deer, they already have the 250 for elk, black and grizzly bears, and a monster 300 grain for everything else. I live in Idaho Falls now but we are in the process of relocating back to Kansas City. Everyone that I have read has just loved this round. This does seem to me to be the most popular big bore ar-15 round. Keep in touch and keep on shooting!!!

Welcome Brown Bear,

I'm going to be out to your AO, in Rexburg for the next couple of weeks. I will have a 450b with me. we're going to be shooting for effect at 1000+ yds. PM me if you want to hook up.

I have a 200 coming, but in reality the 250ftx works absolutely fabulously on deer, even if you don't get complete expansion with the 250 on deer. Think of this 45cal as an expanded 250gr, 30cal. Actually the 45cal non-expanded is generally bigger around than an expanded 30cal gets. In other words the worst bullet we could use, depending on your view, might be the 230gr ball bullet. The last deer I saw killed with this bullet was lung shot, and it was only going 1900fps by the time it got to the animal and had an initial muzzle speed of 3000fps (this is a high end handload), was knocked against a tree. The tree held the white tail up and the deer made about 25-50 feet before it succumbed. With each step it looked like you had thrown a cup of blood in each direction, 9 & 3 o'clock. At the bullet impact site, a goodly portion of the lungs were splattered in the tress some 10+feet in the air. I love the 230's for anything on the planet that moves (yup, including elephants already) and the flat pointed fmj's most of all. The work that some of these guys are doing with flat-pointed hard cast; gas checked bullets, threatens my long held loves for some new ones.. Go get'em guys!!
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Next

Return to Site Discussion