Bettering the board...

Talk about site problems, suggestions, etc.

Moderator: MudBug

Bettering the board...

Postby 2zero6 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:53 am

Which threads do you think deserve sticky's and why? I would say the muzzle thread topic would be a good one but what else do you think would make it easier on us and anyone new? Would it be better to just have a FAQ section or both? There will be times when the same question gets asked (which never bothers me and you guys are great about it) but this will make it easier to reference for the more experienced .450B.net guys but also easier for a newcomer to find with out digging through some of the jumble. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks. :D
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Re: Bettering the board...

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:23 am

My thread on optics considerations seems to be fairly active.
Ammo availability.
The threads discussing sig mags.
Handloading discussions.
450 Upper build thread
My recent lower build trigger question thread.
ANYTHING SAFETY related.
It's all yummy.
I also love the threads with bullet performance,ie post mortem
Pictures of animals and bullet expansion,
Ballistics research.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Siringo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:52 am

Attached is a FAQ document. I put this together a while ago ---- and it is based on my personal experience and opinions. But is may be something to start with. I tried to post this as a word document, but could not get it to do so.

450 Bushmaster Frequently Asked Questions

1. Is factory ammunition readily available?
a. Yes. Hornady Manufacturing is the major supplier. Remington is starting to supply ammunition as well.
2. What bullet weights are available in the factory ammunition?
a. Hornady has a 250 grain FXT and Remington has a new 260 grain.
3. We can I find reloading dies?
a. This is a proprietary cartridge from Hornady and they produce the dies.
4. Is there loading information available?
a. Yes, visit the Hornady Website.
5. Is this a difficult cartridge to load?
a. No. Typical straight walled case.
6. Do I have to use a Lee style factor crimp die?
a. No. The dies provided by Hornady and the proper sized bullets (.452”) will yield excellent results. Lee Modified Factory Crimp Dies are used when proper neck tension can not be achieved because of light for caliber bullets or smaller that .452” diameter bullets such as 45 caliber handgun bullets.
7. What are the best powders to use?
a. Lil’gun, W296 and H110.
8. What brand of primer works best?
a. The cartridge was designed around the Winchester Small Rifle Primers. Tests have shown Remington 7 ½ work well also.
9. What type of magazines work?
a. Stick with the factory magazine. Other magazines such as Magpul 20 rounder’s can be modified. The Sig 556 magazine unmodified will cycle the cartridge fine and hold 10 +rounds.
10. What type of sights should I use?
a. Iron sights are fine. Also any reliable scope for big game rifles will work. Remember, this is a 200 yard Thumper. Whatever your pleasure.
11. What type of accuracy can be achieved with factory ammunition?
a. Typically under 1 ½”. Some even have reported consistent 1” groups at 100 yards.
12. Can hand loaded rounds be as accurate as factory ammunition?
a. Yes – provided the hand loader follows manufacture recommendations.
Siringo

Postby bushmeister » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:53 pm

I like the idea of a FAQ. I do think some answers should be more detailed, or have a "go to this thread for more information" type link. other FAQ's are recoil reduction options. and the Q: Will it kill a....? A: If it lives on this continent! ;) and the one about the fake gas block on the 20" barrel seems to come up quite a bit.
bushmeister

Postby Clipity » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:25 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:450 Upper build thread

Thanks thats my thread and it gets my vote too.

Also I should have all my parts gathered by Febuary to start the build, some parts are on back ordered and moneys tight with Christmas and one of my girls birthdays coming up. When I get it all I will do a post on the complete build if anyone want's to see it.
Clipity

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:39 pm

bushmeister wrote:I like the idea of a FAQ. I do think some answers should be more detailed, or have a "go to this thread for more information" type link. other FAQ's are recoil reduction options. and the Q: Will it kill a....? A: If it lives on this continent! ;) and the one about the fake gas block on the 20" barrel seems to come up quite a bit.

Dittos!
What is up with the fake gas block with my 20"?
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby 2zero6 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:12 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
bushmeister wrote:I like the idea of a FAQ. I do think some answers should be more detailed, or have a "go to this thread for more information" type link. other FAQ's are recoil reduction options. and the Q: Will it kill a....? A: If it lives on this continent! ;) and the one about the fake gas block on the 20" barrel seems to come up quite a bit.

Dittos!

I changed mine to a railed version and saved it for a spectre build :D
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:27 am

2zero6 wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:

Dittos!

I changed mine to a railed version and saved it for a spectre build :D

Would love to see a picture of that!
So I could take off the fake block and it would not cause
A problem or leave unsightly marks?
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:15 pm

I'd like to comment about the fake block and maybe some of this might get incorporated in to the FAQ.

The fake gas block was just for looks, mainly. But I for one use much slower powders for much higher speeds than we are used to. The problem with the carbine block is that it starts the bolt opening far too soon with many of the the loads, we might be playing with. As an aside, this to-soon-opening, is a blessing of sorts, as when this is happening you'll see either the rims start to be ripped off or the action will start to short-stroke, and all this because the case is still sealed in the chamber, when the action starts to open. The blessing is, Usually, this problem arises a long time before you over pressure the weapon, of course I say Usually, because you could come up with some kind of load combination that makes all this un-true, but using our "Usual" techniques, this can be your best sign to back off on your loads.

Now, what I do to the fake gas block is to activate it. I turn our carbine gas block 180° and use the set screw to block the gas port, of course I've removed that carbine gas tube. I then pass a new rifle gas tube over the upside-down carbine gas block, to the now reactivated rifle length gas block. Why? It's a timing thing for me, I am experimenting and need the chamber to open far later than what we deal with in our standard rig. Several days ago I just did one for Barnes, for a 650lb +- pig hunt. They wanted ammo that outperformed the 45-70 hands down. Part of their theory was that a charging pig, starting out at say 50yds, there wasn't enough time to jack another round into the chamber, for another shot, before the animal was on you. I did the the flip thing and put on the rifle length tube and am using their 325gr Barnes Busters at 2100fps, whereas the 45-70 was only getting 1700fps with the same bullet at SAAMI specs. Keep in mind this is lab stuff, but is a great example of what can be done. As they say, your results can and will be different and what I've just described is dangerous. However, if you do, do this, i.e., use the rifle length gas tube and block, the factory ammunition will short stroke, but the conversion back is easy and fast. You can see this is the reason why I love the fake block, it allows me to experiment.

Now that I've properly hy-jacked the thread, we can get back to FAQ's. I just wanted to insert something I thought useful, sorry guys..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby artalon » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:46 pm

still new to this forum so if there is a what powder gn bullet gn gives X fps w/psi please direct me
if there is not, that page would be great
MOLON LABE
artalon

Return to Site Discussion