Forum Changes... Ongoing stuff.

Talk about site problems, suggestions, etc.

Moderator: MudBug

Forum Changes... Ongoing stuff.

Postby MudBug » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:00 pm

Been doing a few things this weekend and there is more to come.

I cleaned up the database, getting rid of all the old mod stuff.

Installed new registration rules and mods to hopefully slowdown the flood of spammers.

Installed some tools for the moderators so they can easily nuke the spammers that slip in.

Installed the tinypic plug-in so that from the bottom of each post you can upload a picture to tinypic.com and it will give you the code to display a picture in your post.

I cleaned up and installed the old style from our old forum. you can choose it under UserCP > Board Preferences > Edit Global Settings. The Default style is Prosilver, our old style is called 450B. Please try it out and let me know if you find anything strange I need to fix.

I may install the Portal today...
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Re: Forum Changes... Ongoing stuff.

Postby BillytheKid » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:13 pm

Thank you for all of your hard work and time spent.

FYI: the default for private messages seems to have been reset to "No". I changed mine to "Yes", so that I can now receive stuff from others now. You all may want to do the same...or not.
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby MudBug » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:43 pm

Don't freak out, I'm just goofing around with the logo.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby Jeepejeep » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:54 pm

Thank you. I like the old look, glad it's back as an option.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby MudBug » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:31 pm

Jeepejeep wrote:Thank you. I like the old look, glad it's back as an option.

Feels more like home to me.
Eric

MudBug
Site Admin

Postby MudBug » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:19 pm

Just in case you guys were curious.

I just did some member pruning. This means I was deleting old members that had never posted. Most of these are obvious spam, hopefully.

Anyway, I was doing it month by month but the list was so big that the forum would time out, I had to start doing it in 10 day bunches meaning that they joined between two dates 10 days apart and had zero posts. We were picking up about 3000 spam accounts a month or 100 a day that had never posted. That is besides the huge number of spammers that made the mistake of posting and got the ban hammer from my rented thugs.

Since I opened up registration we have had two new members join and they both seem legit so far. No posts, but their names are not just a mess of letters and numbers, they filled out profiles, etc.

I think the anti spam measures are working.
Eric

MudBug
Site Admin

Postby AR_Hunter » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:15 am

Digging the new logo...Letting the thumper talk!
AR_Hunter

Postby MudBug » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:41 am

AR_Hunter wrote:Digging the new logo...Letting the thumper talk!

The logo itself is mostly just an experiment, I think it needs some help.

I am gonna keep the "Letting the Thumper Talk" part.
Eric

MudBug
Site Admin

Postby Jeepejeep » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:54 am

Good, I like that a lot. Again, thank you for all your time and effort to give us Thumper fans a place to learn, share and enjoy.
Jim
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby Hoot » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:40 am

Eric, is there a setting in our control panel for how our browser will respond to links embedded in a post? In other forums, you can select whether your browser jumps the current tab to the linked site, opens the linked site in a new tab, or opens it in a new window. Obviously, if you're paying attention, you can right click on the link and tell it how to open, but it sure would be nice for either the default result of clicking on it, be opening it in a separate tab since most folks use tabbed browsing by now, or having a rule in your control panel for how to deal with it.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Next

Return to Site Discussion