Moding GI mags

Talk about site problems, suggestions, etc.

Moderator: MudBug

Moding GI mags

Postby Indy Joe » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:46 pm

Got the new blackfollowers but am to dumb to see how to fit into a GI 20 round mag.
Anyone that has done this PLEASE HELP.
Indy Joe

Re: Moding GI mags

Postby MarkCO » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:48 pm

There is a whole thread on it. You should go here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13014
MarkCO

Postby wildcatter » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:41 pm

Indy Joe wrote:Got the new blackfollowers but am to dumb to see how to fit into a GI 20 round mag.
Anyone that has done this PLEASE HELP.

OK then, can you get the bottom off the mag? The existing spring and follower will tell you how to put the Black one on and then reassemble, bingo, you're in business..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Indy Joe » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:05 am

The bottom comes off with a cartrage as a tool. But the tabs holding the bottom and the clip spot welded in the mag body to secure the bottom will not allow the follower to be inserted. Whats the trick ?
Indy Joe

Postby wildcatter » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:16 am

Indy Joe wrote:The bottom comes off with a cartrage as a tool. But the tabs holding the bottom and the clip spot welded in the mag body to secure the bottom will not allow the follower to be inserted. Whats the trick ?

Lock at how the original spring attaches to the follower, make sure you don't attach it backwards, looking at the relationship of the spring to the original follower, will tell the tale of the tape, so to speak.

Attach the spring to the follower. Inserting the follower into the mag, seems to be the problem you are talking about. By tilting the follower, with spring attached, side ways and front to back as necessary, eventually the follower will go into the mag, once you fool around and do one, the rest will be very easy.

Hope this helps, just noticed what it took to "Take Out" the original follower, the new one is a reverse process..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby East TN » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:49 am

One of the Administrators may want to move this thread, but he does need help.

Indy Joe:

I don't know if I have a mag similar to yours, but it is a GI type 30 rounder (curved) with a green NON-ANTI- TILT follower. I removed the mag bottom and pulled the spring out and I had to turn this follower up almost vertical to remove it. The black 450 follower inserted as normal, but felt just a bit tight. Once it got past the curve it operated as normal. I did load some rounds in it and it seemed to work. I would probably take just a tad off all 4 corners of the black follower and also some off the end that fits in the ~ 1/4" groove on the mag body (with sandpaper) to free it up a bit. I am not sure what you mean about the spot welded clip that holds the bottom, as mine are not spot welded there.

The others I have done were with the .556 ANTI-TILT followers (C-Products 20 rd curved mags) and they removed and inserted very easily.

I hope this helped.
East TN

Postby East TN » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:06 pm

Indy Joe wrote:The bottom comes off with a cartrage as a tool. But the tabs holding the bottom and the clip spot welded in the mag body to secure the bottom will not allow the follower to be inserted. Whats the trick ?

The UPS guy just delivered my Midway order with some AR-Stoner straight body 20 rd mags. They work perfectly, both out with the .556 follower and in with a new 450 black follower. It takes about 3 minutes.

Each mag will be molded to different tolerences, and some fitting might be expected, on individual mags.
East TN

Postby jerdebson » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:53 pm

Joe, I also have a few older, what I believe to be, "VietNam" Era mags. I took them apart and found what you describe. After a while I decided to try it again at a later time and put them back together. They aren't the same as any of the newer mags I have or have seen. I just thought you might like to hear from someone who has some of the same style mags.

The rest were real easy to convert.
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby wildcatter » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:48 pm

jerdebson wrote:

Joe, I also have a few older, what I believe to be, "VietNam" Era mags. I took them apart and found what you describe. After a while I decided to try it again at a later time and put them back together. They aren't the same as any of the newer mags I have or have seen. I just thought you might like to hear from someone who has some of the same style mags.

The rest were real easy to convert.

Yeah, on those Aluminum Mags, we always had to put up with Bulging. Same problem with some of the Plastic mags. SS cured all that and is my new weapon of choice, in mags..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Return to Site Discussion