I'm gonna be gone for a few days to a week

Talk about site problems, suggestions, etc.

Moderator: MudBug

I'm gonna be gone for a few days to a week

Postby MudBug » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:46 pm

I'm going on a late season Cow Elk hunt (and yes, I'm carrying my 450b as my first choice, though I'm taking my 300 Win Mag just in case I can't get within 200 yards of the critter).

Any way, 2zero6 will be stepping in as Moderator for this time period to deal with a few of the things like spammers and such. So please thank him by remaining the well behaved members you have all been up till now.

Hopefully I'll be the first one here with pics of an Elk kill with my 450b, even if it is just a Cow.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Re: I'm gonna be gone for a few days to a week

Postby 2zero6 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:51 pm

No thanks needed, Just glad to help out. We're all a pretty tame crowd here so we''l just have to look forward to sharing in the excitment when you post photo's of the hunt. :mrgreen:
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby bushmeister » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:03 am

Have a great trip! Has he gone yet? Bring on the nekked wimmun!!! :lol:
bushmeister

Postby thatguy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:09 am

wow, this is almost as good as having a 'substitute teacher' - remember how you could jerk their chain.. LOL

MB - good luck, and be safe.. I hope you drop something with the 450B..

brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby wildcatter » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:30 am

Yup, while the cats away the mice will play. And have a great time MB, suggestion, if you sight in for actual Point blanc ranges a 300yd shot is no-thing and all those years as a Professional Hunter, I always said.."I can get within 300yds of any animal on the earth" and I did, even too bagging the #2 & #10 world record Dall Rams (both on the same hunt), which are tough to get closer than 300yds to (I was the meat packer at that time, but functioning as the guide on those particular days, so my name isn't actually in the Books, but I did do it and the customers were exceedingly happy and the registered Guide got the accolades in the Boone & Crockett. Both were sized, well over the 40" range!). At that range you still have enough on the bullet to decide any issue. I have customers that have killed big Elk bulls at nearly 450yds and a friend got a 500+lb Caribou at 600+yds this year (he was using a 230gr Hornady Flat Point FMJ at much higher speeds than some here are used to and should not try to duplicate, as he is a true Ballistics Expert, but his MV numbers were in the 2800fps area - A lung shot that took out ribs on both sides and exited the animal, it went less than 50yds before it went down.). Our normal numbers aren't all that good at those ranges but then again the numbers do not tell the whole story. A well constructed bullet at our initial speeds just has great Terminal Effects at about any range you want to shoot at. I am often asked what is the effective range, I usually answer the question by asking what is the range? With the laser range finders and the portable Ballistic Calculators we now have, all that is necessary to kill the target is to crank the sights to agree to the solution and then to get your knife out!!! GO GET'EM CHAMP!!!! ..""It's day-light in the Swamps and were out of meat and the Kids are ah crying""..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby thatguy » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:49 pm

Mudbug.. how as the hunting trip? did the 450B see any action?

brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby MudBug » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:36 pm

thatguy wrote:Mudbug.. how as the hunting trip? did the 450B see any action?

brian

Just got home.

It was a long week.

My camp site blew down, I got stuck in a blizzard, most of my hunting area was shut down because of closed roads, and I got 2 shots at Elk. One with the 450b (I misjudged the distance and dropped the bullet low), and another shot with my 300 Win Mag (She was at 413 yards, but in my excitement I forgot to use my 400 yard hash mark on my reticle and again hit low). My brother got his first Elk with 300 WSM. He took the shot at 240 yards and she dropped in her tracks, tried to get up and take a few steps but fell again, he finished her off with a shot to the base of her skull from about 50 yards.

Sucks that I came home empty handed, but this was my first real elk hunt. I learned a lot and had a good time.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby bushmeister » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:21 am

You have my luck when it comes to weather. Nothing like a "freak" blizzard to make things interesting.
bushmeister

Postby 2zero6 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:45 pm

I would trade a days worth of shooting at paper for a day of hunting any day even if that meant not getting anything. Count yourself lucky. I guess I am a little jaded as I have lived in the woods most of my life and am a pretty big survival fanatic. Tough it out in rough weather reminds me I am alive and that all the little problems I deal with through the course of a single day hold little sway over the power of nature and my ability to deal with it. I have pictures of camping trips that were rained out and me and my buddies looked miserable, but when I look at the pictures I remember how good of a time I had just being out with the guys.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Return to Site Discussion