Forum Down Time

Talk about site problems, suggestions, etc.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Forum Down Time

Postby MudBug » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:00 pm

wildcatter wrote:
Losta work, I am grateful that you are one of the greats..

..t

Meh, I've fallen down on the job lately and let this place down. I'm getting back on top of it and putting things back together.

It's not that much work, it's just aggravating work because I know I'm deeling with the same people over and over,

For instance, we have had hundreds of posts with the title "Funny Pictures!" and link to some photo repository. I keep deleting them, you guys have never seen them, yet they keep posting 10 - 20 threads a day about these stupid pictures. It makes no sense at all.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby wildcatter » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:15 pm

MudBug wrote:
wildcatter wrote:
Losta work, I am grateful that you are one of the greats..

..t

Meh, I've fallen down on the job lately and let this place down. I'm getting back on top of it and putting things back together.

It's not that much work, it's just aggravating work because I know I'm deeling with the same people over and over,

For instance, we have had hundreds of posts with the title "Funny Pictures!" and link to some photo repository. I keep deleting them, you guys have never seen them, yet they keep posting 10 - 20 threads a day about these stupid pictures. It makes no sense at all.

Any chance of blocking these dudes. I ask, because if you need help I have a root'en-toot'en i.t. guy that might be able to help with that and/or any other problems??..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:14 am

OMG! :o

I knew about the spammers trying to get free air time to hawk their wares on forums, but I didn't realize the volume Eric! I figured 20-30 a week, intermixed with valid requests.

I have served as a moderator on other technical forums. Why don't you offload that one task of validation to a group of volunteers? It's the least we can do for ourselves. I'd be willing to carve off a chunk as I visit the forum every day and I'm familiar at least with vBulletin.

I'm sure a handful of others would be happy to do the same.

PM me, if you want.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Larrys1911 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:06 am

Bug,

Im not volunteering for this, BUT.......

You need to assign some others that frequent this place as Moderators that have the power to help you.

Find a few that you trust and have been here for a while and LIGHTEN YOUR LOAD

Ive been involved with several lists over the years and this thing will SOON become a JOB for you.

Just a thought, Ive been there it will cease being fun and when it does............ the list suffers and all youre hard work to this point goes away.

Larry
Larrys1911

Postby AR_Hunter » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:21 pm

If this forum has the option to block ip address and email address, use it and the numerous posts will dwindle. It has helped me tremendously on keeping my blog spam free. I don't know anything about the forum software, so it may not be an option. If you'd like help just let us know...
AR_Hunter

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:35 pm

I used to moderate for another forum. We would block IPs but the best block is blocking MAC addresses. I will volunteer. I'm on here all the time and access the forum with my IPhone from anywhere. I also have 3 PCs on my Cisco run network here at the house. PM me or email or call me, Bug. I'll give ya my Phone # or get it from Tim.
PS. I also have a few ideas, but I don't want to discuss forum tactics here.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby MudBug » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:53 pm

Thanks for the offers of help, I have known for awhile now that I need to get a couple moderators to help here.

2zero6 was moderator for awhile and it helped, but then he suddenly just disappeared. I sent emails, no response, so I took away his moderator status and he has never return or even messaged me.

Anyway, I'm gonna get things sorted out, then I will talk to some of you and we will pick some helpers.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Site Discussion