Forum Down Time

Talk about site problems, suggestions, etc.

Moderator: MudBug

Forum Down Time

Postby MudBug » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:12 am

Some time this week, maybe this weekend, I will be making some changes, upgrades to the forum software that I have needed to do for awhile now. This will ad the ability for me to add some features people have asked for, but mostly I will be able to make use of some of the better spam blocking measures in the new version of the forum software.

Ff you try to log in and we aren't here don't panic, we will be back, hopefully everything will go smooth and this won't take more than a few hours.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Re: Forum Down Time

Postby wildcatter » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:49 pm

MudBug wrote:Some time this week, maybe this weekend, I will be making some changes, upgrades to the forum software that I have needed to do for awhile now. This will ad the ability for me to add some features people have asked for, but mostly I will be able to make use of some of the better spam blocking measures in the new version of the forum software.

Ff you try to log in and we aren't here don't panic, we will be back, hopefully everything will go smooth and this won't take more than a few hours.

Hey Mudder, while you're at it, put that App on it that distributes Cooked and lightly seasoned, Venison Back straps through the screen..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:11 pm

Cool. Maybe you could set it to where the log me in automatically" thingie actually works. It sux having to sign in on my iPhone all the time.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:52 pm

Eric, can you loosen up the miserable search engine to not exclude so many vital search terms, even if they occur frequently. Drives me crazy! :evil:

When I can't search for a thread on converting .284 Winchester brass because the engine has determined the ".284 Winchester" are both too common, it irks me and that's just one example. What's the point of having a search feature when it's so limited as to render it useless?

Thanks,

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby MudBug » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:33 am

Hoot wrote:Eric, can you loosen up the miserable search engine to not exclude so many vital search terms, even if they occur frequently. Drives me crazy! :evil:

When I can't search for a thread on converting .284 Winchester brass because the engine has determined the ".284 Winchester" are both too common, it irks me and that's just one example. What's the point of having a search feature when it's so limited as to render it useless?

Thanks,

Hoot

I will give it a shot, I have not looked into what involved in the search module.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:15 pm

Hoot wrote:Eric, can you loosen up the miserable search engine to not exclude so many vital search terms, even if they occur frequently. Drives me crazy! :evil:

Thanks,

Hoot

Ive had that same issue.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby khamill2000 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:27 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Cool. Maybe you could set it to where the log me in automatically" thingie actually works. It sux having to sign in on my iPhone all the time.

I am having this problem also. I run Firefox both at home and at work. On my work pc I don't stay logged in even 2 hours. All other forums/email etc. are fine except here.
khamill2000

Postby BD1 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:21 pm

I had exactly that issue trying to find the .284 brass thread. In the end I searched back through all of my posts until I found it. Quite a pain in the butt.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby MudBug » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:06 pm

I'm working towards all of this stuff guys, not sure what I will get fixed, but I'm gonna try.

Also, I have disabled registration for the next week, I just can't deal with the spammers any more for awhile.

As most know I had this forum set so that your first post had to be OK's by me before it was visible. For awhile that was fine, but lately it has grown into a monster. I leave for a couple days and suddenly I have 350 posts to OK, 340 of which are spam. So I delete the post and the spammer.

So I thought maybe I would require that I activate new members. Well I came home from work today to find 30 members I need to activate, almost all of them from Russia, the Ukrain, and China.

Anyway. I shut down registration for the next week so I can clean some stuff up before the big change.
Eric

MudBug
Site Admin

Postby wildcatter » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:20 pm

MudBug wrote:I'm working towards all of this stuff guys, not sure what I will get fixed, but I'm gonna try.

Also, I have disabled registration for the next week, I just can't deal with the spammers any more for awhile.

As most know I had this forum set so that your first post had to be OK's by me before it was visible. For awhile that was fine, but lately it has grown into a monster. I leave for a couple days and suddenly I have 350 posts to OK, 340 of which are spam. So I delete the post and the spammer.

So I thought maybe I would require that I activate new members. Well I came home from work today to find 30 members I need to activate, almost all of them from Russia, the Ukrain, and China.

Anyway. I shut down registration for the next week so I can clean some stuff up before the big change.

Losta work, I am grateful that you are one of the greats..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Next

Return to Site Discussion