How to post a large How-To article?

Talk about site problems, suggestions, etc.

Moderator: MudBug

How to post a large How-To article?

Postby Hoot » Tue May 04, 2010 7:53 pm

MudBug

I just finished chronicling in images, a step-by-step guide for modding the Lee .45-70 FCD for use with the 450b. It is intended to guide members without access to a lathe in doing a quality modification job with a drill press and some common tools. Due to the large number of 640x480 step images collected, it promises to be quite large as a single post goes and I'm not sure about how to go about posting it so as not to exceed post limitations or unduly tax the system. I can publish it to my personal web storage and simply link to it, but feel something would be lost in accessibility if members have to jump off-forum to view it. Perhaps not. What do you advise me doing to make this available? I can probably reduce some of the images to half size without losing their usefulness, but there's something like 20 images total, along with text to go with each of them.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: How to post a large How-To article?

Postby btfsc » Tue May 04, 2010 9:19 pm

Hoot,
You could put it together and make it a PDf.That would reduce the size.
If you want the size reduced without killing the quality I can use Photoshop to get the size down, does a good job of maintaining the quality after reduction.
If you want to send me one photo and see how well it works PM me.
btfsc

Postby MudBug » Tue May 04, 2010 10:45 pm

Try posting it as one large post. I am not aware of any restrictions on post size. If that doesn't work I'll see what to do.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby wildcatter » Wed May 05, 2010 1:51 pm

Now here's the Mudder taking care of us again, Kuddos 'ol Man. How about a YouTube with a link, if you do not have a camera for that format, I'll souvenir you mine for as long as you need it??? just an idea here, cause I'm sure you'll come up with the answer..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Wed May 05, 2010 4:51 pm

wildcatter wrote:...snip How about a YouTube with a link...snip
..t

While I believe there is great value in narrated motion picture How-To's, a couple things got in the way of taking that route. First, I don't have a digital cam-corder. Second, I'd have to install and become proficient at using a video editing application. Third and most important, I can't stand the sound of my own voice when recorded and played back. I sound like Jackie Vernon with a bad case of cotton-mouth. What is the life expectancy of a You Tube post anyway? Does your work disappear as quickly as it does on photo-bucket? I've followed links in posts only a few years old and the photo-bucket location was gone. Is life expectancy based upon viewing activity? As soon as I can chase my teenager off the family computer, I'll compose the written portion of the article and try posting it. I've only got one MS Office license and she does her homework on that computer. My wife has a licensed copy of Acrobat at work, but we can't afford it for the home machine.
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby bushmeister » Wed May 05, 2010 5:41 pm

I agree, if you can post it here, it will be here. Nothing worse than finding exactly the info you are looking for.....in a deleted photobucket account. :x
bushmeister

Postby MudBug » Wed May 05, 2010 7:47 pm

bushmeister wrote:I agree, if you can post it here, it will be here. Nothing worse than finding exactly the info you are looking for.....in a deleted photobucket account. :x

As I said, one way or another we will make it happen, even if I have to upload all the pics on the site myself.

This is exactly the kind of things I will be putting in the database as soon as we bet the upgraded, functional version.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby wildcatter » Thu May 06, 2010 12:24 am

The Hoot-Man makes sense. Is there a way to post videos here? I plan to do a series of 450 videos this year and we need a permanent home for them..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Thu May 06, 2010 8:40 pm

Still composing and editing...
Hoot
Hoot

Postby MudBug » Fri May 07, 2010 11:28 am

wildcatter wrote:The Hoot-Man makes sense. Is there a way to post videos here? I plan to do a series of 450 videos this year and we need a permanent home for them..t

I can install a youtube module.
Eric

MudBug
Site Admin

Next

Return to Site Discussion