wall of shame

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

wall of shame

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:12 pm

:oops: it's hard to post a pic of a really nice buck i missed with my 450b yesterday morning. he was chasin' a doe across my food plot at about 75yds. i usually like to stop 'um and shoot 'um high in the neck or head. but, since he wouldn't stop, i centered him just behind the elbow and shot. :? well, he didn't even flinch :roll: upon inspection of the crime scene and subsequent trackin' and found no blood or gut for about 150yds... i determined it was a miss :cry:
back at the camp i shot 3rds at 50yds that were 3" low, 3" right. i'm guessin' it went under his chest. :|
this morning i saw his tracks again :) so feel better knowing he's not buzzard bait... and i get another chance, i hope! 8-)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Re: wall of shame

Postby 4wheeling79 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:52 pm

Don't be so hard on your self. But i do know how you fill. I was on a hunt a few years ago and had a nice buck in my sights and it wasn't the fact that i missed. It was the fact that my bullets were so cold they wouldn't work i seariuosly considered throwing it out of the tree stand i was in. I'm glad i didn't though as the day warmed up i shot it and it worked fine. Go out and hunt him again you'll get another shot just make the next one count.
4wheeling79

Postby Ghost Dog » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:51 pm

How about lining up a good shot, squeeze the trigger and realise the safety is still on.
Guilty. :oops:
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby Jeepejeep » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:08 pm

Ghost Dog wrote:How about lining up a good shot, squeeze the trigger and realise the safety is still on.
Guilty. :oops:

That happened to me a number of years ago as I was going to shoot a nice doe. After I realized the safety was on I clicked off the safety and I saw movement out of the corner of my eye Here came a nice 7 point buck. He's the biggest deer I ever shot! If I had shot that doe, I never would have seen him. Taught me to look really well before shooting a doe!
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby commander faschisto » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:37 pm

Mountain Du....didja ever notice that with fish tales of woe, the fish that got away always gets bigger with each retelling, but in similar hunting tales the miss distance always gets smaller? Very strange. :lol:
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:49 am

:) Thanks guys! :| i was more ashamed of a loss than a miss :? but fortunately he is still on his feet. i just couldn't understand how that 250gr ftx didn't unzip him even if it wasn't perfect shot placement. :roll: i'm goin' back for the rest of the year (except Christmas Day) and hope to even the score. ;)

:roll: oh, i reattached the izzy and plan to test fire and/or rezero it this afternoon before going out. :oops:

:) @ commander f... :? it has always amazed me at how many people kill deer at 100+ yds with buckshot too! :shock: :D :lol:
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby bushmeister » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:12 pm

Du, don't feel bad. I missed a 10 pt last weekend, and unlike you, I put a target up, and wasn't 3" low or 3" to the left. :oops:
bushmeister

Return to The Trophy Wall