New rifle, first deer (long story)

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: New rifle, first deer (long story)

Postby MrRowdy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:20 am

Thanks guys. I've doen a fair amount of target and mid range distane work at the range as well as a lot of studying and practice with ranging etc. I have OCD to some degree and tend to obsess over the math involved with long range shooting.
MrRowdy

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:05 am

I've been looking at the 450 ballistics, and the Hornady ballistic computer comes up with a 41" drop at 300 yds for a 100 yd zero and the 250 gr FTX bullet. How did you sight in on your target? Did you experience anywhere near that amount of drop?
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby 9x19MdM » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:16 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:I've been looking at the 450 ballistics, and the Hornady ballistic computer comes up with a 41" drop at 300 yds for a 100 yd zero and the 250 gr FTX bullet. How did you sight in on your target? Did you experience anywhere near that amount of drop?

In this thread he talks about his setup and he set zero at 172 yds.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10718&p=27896#p27896

FYI...
My calculator, with zero changed to 172, shows 25.94 drop @ 300
9x19MdM

Postby MrRowdy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:51 pm

9x19MdM wrote:
Jim in Houston wrote:I've been looking at the 450 ballistics, and the Hornady ballistic computer comes up with a 41" drop at 300 yds for a 100 yd zero and the 250 gr FTX bullet. How did you sight in on your target? Did you experience anywhere near that amount of drop?

In this thread he talks about his setup and he set zero at 172 yds.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10718&p=27896#p27896

FYI...
My calculator, with zero changed to 172, shows 25.94 drop @ 300

According to my calculations with a deer approximately 48 Inches from ass to front of the chest at 300 yards it should measure about 4.5 mils on my scope which this doe did. I consulted my handy dandy drop chart and came up with 22 clicks (1/10 mil per click) using my 172 yard zero. Each click equals 1.08" at 300 yards so 22 clicks would get me 23.76 inches of elevation or about 2.2 mils. I held over about 2-1/4 mils and sent it down and a nice doe was the result. I've gotten so used to ranging using a mil-dot scope I don't think I could shoot without one, having a scope that also has mil clicks and is first focal plane just makes life that much easier, but unless you have a stupid good memory a dope chart is a must. Had I not had any one of these things I may have come up empty handed.

Again, I was very pleased with the consistency of the factory Hornady ammo and the rifle. Whenever I work the math then put it into practice the round drops right where it should. Another beautiful thing is the unmuffled sound of this rifle, it sounds off with an authoritative crack-boom that is hard to beat. ;)

FYI - I'm using the calculator here...
http://biggameinfo.com/index.aspx?page=/balcalc.ascx
MrRowdy

Postby kottke_35 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:41 pm

It would appear that Mr. Rowdy has put the time and practice into understanding long range ballistics! That a' boy my friend! Congrats on your deer. A mature slick head is probably harder trophy to harvest then her bone headed counterpart. I'll take meat in the freezer anyday over having bones...or worse yet, nothing!

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby MrRowdy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:02 pm

kottke_35 wrote:It would appear that Mr. Rowdy has put the time and practice into understanding long range ballistics! That a' boy my friend! Congrats on your deer. A mature slick head is probably harder trophy to harvest then her bone headed counterpart. I'll take meat in the freezer anyday over having bones...or worse yet, nothing!

B.

I appreciate it. I have a lot to learn with judging the wind though, Elevation adjustments are easy and I dig the physics and mathematics of it all. Nothing cooler than doing some math, taking a shot and having it hit right where you planned. Guess work is out the window and when you only get one shot it's no time for guessing. Normally I like to actually dial up my elevation instead of holding over to eliminate additional variables but there isn't always time for that.
MrRowdy

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:23 pm

Thanks for the reply. I will be scratching my head for a while figuring out how a 172 yd zero relates to my 100 yd zero and my 4 clicks per MOA scope for a 300 yd shot, but I will do it!!!
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:27 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:Thanks for the reply. I will be scratching my head for a while figuring out how a 172 yd zero relates to my 100 yd zero and my 4 clicks per MOA scope for a 300 yd shot, but I will do it!!!

Don't confuse scopes who's elevation is calibrated in fractions of an MOA per click with Mil Dot Scopes. The link explains the difference.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby MrRowdy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:32 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:Thanks for the reply. I will be scratching my head for a while figuring out how a 172 yd zero relates to my 100 yd zero and my 4 clicks per MOA scope for a 300 yd shot, but I will do it!!!

At 100 yards my 172 yard zero reflects approximately 3" high impact at 100 and 3" low at 200. My scopes turrets are in .10 Mil so each click is .36" at 100 yards. At 300 yards each click is 3 times that amount so 1.08". As distance increases so does the amount of movement each click adjusts. So a 1/4 MOA click at 100 yards equals .26175" movement, at 300 yards each click equals 3 times that or .78525" of movement. With a 100 yard zero you will drop 33.1" at 300 yards and would need to adjust elevation by 10.538 MOA or 42 clicks of your scope.

Is there a ranging and long range shooting spot around here? I'd love to get into ballistic info so we can all make the most out of this great round.
MrRowdy

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:58 pm

Thanks Hoot and Mr. R for the education on scope adjustments and mil vs moa scopes.

Around here (in Houston) the longest range is at American Shooting Center west of Houston. They have a 200 yd range.
Jim in Houston

PreviousNext

Return to The Trophy Wall