Finally, my first real kill with the .450B!

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Finally, my first real kill with the .450B!

Postby wildcatter » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:18 pm

2zero6 wrote:Other than a few raccoons and a coyote. He was a little smaller than my 300lb estimate and actually weighed in at 273lbs. Funny thing was we were only out maybe an hour and he came right in at around a quarter after 6pm. There was no tracking involved or needed as he dropped with the first and only shot with factory Hornady ammo at about 30-40 yards. The bullet went in right behind the front right shoulder, through the lungs and heart, and ended up stuck in the left shoulder fully expanded and perfectly petaled out with almost 95%-100% weight retention. My buddy was there with me and he was amazed that the bear went down and was instantly dead with just one shot. I gotta admit that I was a little surprised as well. Sorry for the night pics as when we got it home we celebrated a bit and a few friends came over to admire it. It took me and my buddy a while to skin and dress it out.I really want to say thank you to Tim for such a wonderful experience with such an awesome caliber and weapons platform. Now I just gotta wipe off the ear to ear grin before my face gets stuck like this for the rest of my life. Next is the cougar. :D
[ http://i55.tinypic.com/15kfix.jpg ]
[ http://i53.tinypic.com/28r13eh.jpg ]

You're very welcomed. I have but one real good statement to say about all this.."WAY-TO-GO-206!!!"..

Seems this is getting to be quite a habit, i.e. .."I no longer have to hone my tracking skills"..Bushmeister Quote - or something like that.

Ok Everybody!! Bear-Steak and eggs, 6AM, tomorrow morning, @ 206's A.O..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby tannerlst » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:22 pm

that is friggen' awesome!
tannerlst

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:03 pm

:D Swe-e-e-et... Congrats on the kill ;)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby wildcatter » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:09 pm

And another one bites the dust.

Just killed, by a friend of mine.

This is a 325 pounder shot with a 325gr Hornady, resized to .452.

Raking shot that included, ribs, lungs, heart, shoulder and exited as if it wasn't slowing down. The described internals were simply, horrific.

The animal piled up, like a sack-o-potatoes hitting the kitchen floor, it didn't take one step. This is significant, as in 206's experience and now this one, we are again seeing one shot immediate stops (where's that bushmeister quote). Bears shot as in this one and 206's were, using a well excepted meat gitters, like the 06, 300wm. 7mm mag, etc. will usually run "Allot" before succumbing.

To be sure, and there are many here that will argue with me and they have good reason, but not all of our kills are going to be this clean, BUT, the Bushmeister admonition holds true. Care to quote it Markey? Something about honing tracking skills??..t

.."You can't resize 458's to .452 and if you could, the jackets would shred and performance would not be acceptable by any standard, to say nothing of safety issues"..a close to accurate, Nay-Sayer Quote, on another channel, from a very well known, professional know-it-all, trashing your work and talking about things you know more about than anyone else..t
Attachments
rugsteak.php.jpg
rugsteak.php.jpg (49.61 KiB) Viewed 11194 times
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby 2zero6 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:14 pm

:o They sure got some big black bears over that way. Average size here west of the cascades is 250lbs.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby wildcatter » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:03 pm

2zero6 wrote::o They sure got some big black bears over that way. Average size here west of the cascades is 250lbs.

Yuppers, that's a Yooper Bear (UP of MI). He missed a 400+ pounder, cause he didn't have the gun sighted correctly. And just down the road they shot a 500+ pounder and that area has produced 600+ bears, in years past..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby bushmeister » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:55 pm

wildcatter wrote: (where's that bushmeister quote). Care to quote it Markey? Something about honing tracking skills??..t

Not at all, I'll quote it as long as it's true! I spent years learning how to track wounded game, and I have yet to shoot anything with the 450B that has rewarded my education. Of course I spent years in college dealing with color science, and in my current career, I deal with only white and yellow. But, I'm all about easy... If they had a rock throwing season, I'd be out there throwing rocks, but guns are so much more efficient. Especially the big bored ones! :D
bushmeister

Previous

Return to The Trophy Wall