Unleashed the "BEASTMASTER"

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

Unleashed the "BEASTMASTER"

Postby dvrod18 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:22 am

Down to my last hunt of the year, finaly saw one, and let him have all 1250 grains of Hornady Hellfire. Did not make it out of the food plot. Did recover one of the bullets, jacket/core separated, ran through the deer lenght wise and lodged in the hind leg. Will try to upload photos.
dvrod18

Re: Unleashed the "BEASTMASTER"

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:52 am

Welcome to the forum. And congrats! Use photobucket, it's much easier.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby MrRowdy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:37 pm

You unloaded 5 rounds on it? Any particular reason? Was it wearing armor plating?
MrRowdy

Postby dvrod18 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:57 am

:lol: No armor plating. I was almost out of light, and rushed the first shot in which the deer was quartered to me hard (almost facing me) and ended up hitting him in the gut. After that I wanted to make sure I didn't lose him, so I kept shooting till he stayed down. I was amazed at how 5 rounds goes by so quikly. But I certainly will not be hunting with anything of higher capacity, as the deer was pretty torn up.
dvrod18

Postby BillytheKid » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:37 am

dvrod18 wrote::lol: No armor plating. I was almost out of light, and rushed the first shot in which the deer was quartered to me hard (almost facing me) and ended up hitting him in the gut. After that I wanted to make sure I didn't lose him, so I kept shooting till he stayed down. I was amazed at how 5 rounds goes by so quikly. But I certainly will not be hunting with anything of higher capacity, as the deer was pretty torn up.

I've always heard that making sausage is ugly...
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:56 am

BillytheKid wrote:
dvrod18 wrote::lol: No armor plating. I was almost out of light, and rushed the first shot in which the deer was quartered to me hard (almost facing me) and ended up hitting him in the gut. After that I wanted to make sure I didn't lose him, so I kept shooting till he stayed down. I was amazed at how 5 rounds goes by so quikly. But I certainly will not be hunting with anything of higher capacity, as the deer was pretty torn up.

I've always heard that making sausage is ugly...

So I take it that you will be nicknaming your AR the Sausage Grinder?
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby dvrod18 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:37 pm

Naa,I think I will stick to Beastmaster, it fits. I did have a remington 7600 I named slayer, shot at a deer 4 times with. Never did name by bolt gun...Townsend Whelen said "only accurate rifles are interesting"...I say only interesting rifles get names.
dvrod18

Postby MrRowdy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:29 pm

Edited: Perhaps my opinion was overly strong. I apologize for jumping on you so hard, I just feel strongly about humane clean kills on game. I've seen some bad cruel things done to animals by so called hunters and it tweaks me. Again, my apologies.
Last edited by MrRowdy on Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrRowdy

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:52 am

Mr. Rowdy. Sir, we don't roll that way here on this forum. We can all speculate on what happened, and that's fine. But please use restraint. I wasnt there, and the experience was his alone. He has already admitted the overkill. He learned something. But your comments about the man behind the trigger and comments regarding video gaming would have been better left off the thread. You are intitled to your opinion, but we do not attack our own. We are all in the 450 Bushmaster experience together. A band of brothers. Teaching Discipline with a flamethrower is not the way. Please edit your post. Thank you sir.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby dvrod18 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:30 am

Mr. Rowdy,

Shame on me for wanting to make sure the animal went down quickly. Of all the deerI have shot, only two did I "overkill" in which I shot more than once. And yes I can shoot just fine, but if you hunt long enough you will miss to, I am sure we all have. My problem was the miss was to the gut and I had no intention of leaving a gut shot animal to die in the woods, which by the way are very thick, which would have made recovery near impossible.

AND EXCUSE ME FOR BEING EXCITED TO TAKE AN ANIMAL WITH THE .450.....
dvrod18

Next

Return to The Trophy Wall