After decades of hunting with smaller calibers...

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

After decades of hunting with smaller calibers...

Postby bushmeister » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:28 pm

A new first. I was hunting with my 450 in some thick GA pines, overlooking an intersection of 3 deer trails, when something happened that has never happened with my 30 cal or 7 rem mag.... A yellow jacket that had been pestering me for about 6 minutes, decided to land on my izzy and proceeded to crawl down into my bore :shock: Of course you know the deer would present himself seconds later. So I weighed my options and decided that yellow jacket guts might be an obstruction rather than a lubricant, and began to shake the 16" barrel ever so slightly to encourage the little pestulence to fly for the light so I could make my shot. It was not to be as the buck also saw my barrel wiggling, and decided to run for the light before the yellow jacket did. A good friend summed it up best when he asked "if it were a true trophy, would it still have been an obstruction, or a lubricant?" I had to admit, I would have considered it a lubricant and taken my chances. I realized I was making excuses for not killing a legal, but non-trophy deer. Here's a cell phone pic from my treestand right after the ordeal. You can see why the 450 is such a good choice here.
Attachments
smallpinestand.jpg
smallpinestand.jpg (96.56 KiB) Viewed 15929 times
bushmeister

Re: After decades of hunting with smaller calibers...

Postby wildcatter » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:40 pm

bushmeister wrote:A new first. I was hunting with my 450 in some thick GA pines, overlooking an intersection of 3 deer trails, when something happened that has never happened with my 30 cal or 7 rem mag.... A yellow jacket that had been pestering me for about 6 minutes, decided to land on my izzy and proceeded to crawl down into my bore :shock: Of course you know the deer would present himself seconds later. So I weighed my options and decided that yellow jacket guts might be an obstruction rather than a lubricant, and began to shake the 16" barrel ever so slightly to encourage the little pestulence to fly for the light so I could make my shot. It was not to be as the buck also saw my barrel wiggling, and decided to run for the light before the yellow jacket did. A good friend summed it up best when he asked "if it were a true trophy, would it still have been an obstruction, or a lubricant?" I had to admit, I would have considered it a lubricant and taken my chances. I realized I was making excuses for not killing a legal, but non-trophy deer. Here's a cell phone pic from my treestand right after the ordeal. You can see why the 450 is such a good choice here.

To "B" or not to "B"...LOL!!!! Marky, only You...Great Story!!..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby 2zero6 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:40 pm

Would the shoot through muzzle caps work or would the alter the flight path on the .450? Maybe some of those little finger cots that look like tiny condoms? I actually never thought of covering the muzzle even in this rainy state. The military does so it maybe better to err on the side of caution than not? I hate to hear all my hunting buddies cracking all sorts of nasty comments at my expense after seeing the finger condom on the end of my barrel....which is the lesser of 2 evils?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby bushmeister » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:08 pm

2zero6 wrote:Would the shoot through muzzle caps work or would the alter the flight path on the .450? Maybe some of those little finger cots that look like tiny condoms? I actually never thought of covering the muzzle even in this rainy state. The military does so it maybe better to err on the side of caution than not? I hate to hear all my hunting buddies cracking all sorts of nasty comments at my expense after seeing the finger condom on the end of my barrel....which is the lesser of 2 evils?

Great point, although I was being tongue in cheek for the most part, it really would make sense to have a game plan for a rain event. Are you referring to a finger from a latex glove when you mention a finger cot?
bushmeister

Postby BayouBob » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:26 pm

Finger cots are little bitty condoms that a proctologist uses. You can buy them at a drug store.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby 2zero6 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:33 pm

BayouBob wrote:Finger cots are little bitty condoms that a proctologist uses. You can buy them at a drug store.

I thought they were for the guys with the really BIG guns.....just kidding :lol:
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby wildcatter » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:58 am

bushmeister wrote:
2zero6 wrote:Would the shoot through muzzle caps work or would the alter the flight path on the .450? Maybe some of those little finger cots that look like tiny condoms? I actually never thought of covering the muzzle even in this rainy state. The military does so it maybe better to err on the side of caution than not? I hate to hear all my hunting buddies cracking all sorts of nasty comments at my expense after seeing the finger condom on the end of my barrel....which is the lesser of 2 evils?

Great point, although I was being tongue in cheek for the most part, it really would make sense to have a game plan for a rain event. Are you referring to a finger from a latex glove when you mention a finger cot?

You?? NAAHHH!!!!!

Buuttt, this is actually something we should give some serious thought to. Bees, Rain, all manor of debris can enter our large bore, while crawling in the underbrush. Something like the cots might just be the answer. Now that Marky has had this happen and 206 has further identified the problem, I bet I go and get some of those cots. What has been a very good funny story, told to share, has ID'ed a problem we haven't thought about.

The GI flash-hider has a muzzle cap available for it, and prolly wont work for us. I don't have one here, but can somebody try it, on the Izzy?
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Archie » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:09 pm

I have a rubber glove thumb currently draped over the end of my muzzleloader barrel (.50 cal) for the sake of keeping the rain out. Many also use a short piece of Tape gently put over the end of the muzzle. As the bullet moves through the barrel, it pistons the air and the air piston actually pushes the tape or glove finger off the barrel before the bullet gets there. Works as well for a thumper, but you do have to be sure the tape is not on there tight and/or it is very light and thin. You don't want to cause an obstruction.
Archie

Postby bushmeister » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:04 pm

Look what showed up today....notice I ordered them in Xtra large :mrgreen:
Attachments
gloves.jpg
gloves.jpg (47.71 KiB) Viewed 15631 times
bushmeister

Postby bushmeister » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:35 pm

In the midnight hour...she cried more, more, mo-o-ore...
Attachments
idol.jpg
idol.jpg (21.23 KiB) Viewed 15596 times
bushmeister

Next

Return to The Trophy Wall