Doe Hunt

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

Doe Hunt

Postby Ghost Dog » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:19 pm

My friend Dean and myself went hunting 2 weekends ago. It was at a high fence farm up in Wisconson. Dean has been bow hunting unsucessfuly for a deer for the last 3 or 4 years, so I said lets go to this place and get a couple of does, I'm running low on venison. We arrived around 1 pm, settled in and by 2:30 we where out hunting. It was a 200 acre field covered with 80 foot pine trees.
The ground was snow covered and crunched under every step. Bob, the owner told us the lay of the land, also told us to walk the entire area to get a feel and to see where the blinds where.
We where out there till dusk and didn't see any deer. On the way back to the cabin we talked with Bob and he reasured us we would see white tails tommorrow. Now if your thinking like we where
there wheren't no deer out there, he was making us do a little work first.
Next day we where out by 7 am. and where seeing does. Dean was using his bow on Satuday but on Sunday the wind was blowing all day around 20 to 30 mph, so I let him use my spare rifle, ar-15 in 5.54. I finaly shot a doe around 2 pm. It was a 100 yard shot threading the needle between the pines. The doe literally flew up in the air a good 5 to 10 feet, did a back flip and landed in the snow.
I'm like O.K. its over, but to my suprise she gets up and runs off. I'm stunned. I walk over to where I shot her and there is blood. We followed the blood trail for a good 250 to 300 yards where she lay.
My bullet had hit to far foward, I basically blew it's front leg off, hanging on only by the hide. The round exited her front chest, you could see the heart and other organs through the hole.
I gave Dean the 450, bettter than the 5.54. We where sitting in a three man blind when he finally connected. He was facing west and I east. Three does started approaching us from my side, I pointed them out to Dean. They came within 30 yards of the blind, only problem was Dean would have to shoot over me because of our positions. My head was basically under the stock of the gun.
I'm thinking muzzle blast, so I covered my head, face and ears with my arms. Dean fired and all I saw was a ton of blood blow out the upper rear leg of the deer. I'm thinking why the heck did he shoot it in the rear leg? He didn't, that was the exit wound. He had shot her right in the brisket and the bullet traveled back. She ran about 40 yards and layed down. In the pics you see another shot because at that time Bob had walked out, helped blood trail the doe and he asked for a finishing shot. Dean wasn't for it but shot any way.

Pics to follow: Warning, they are bloody.
(if needed I'll remove them)
Last edited by Ghost Dog on Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Re: Doe Hunt

Postby Ghost Dog » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:37 pm

That's Dean and his doe, my 450 bushmaster.

My doe, all cut up.

Bob, skinning Dean's doe.

If your wondering what I look like, here I'm 2 years ago, hog hunting
I know, I know, which one is me?
Last edited by Ghost Dog on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby BillytheKid » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:12 pm

Holy Smokes! Great pics of the effectiveness of our round!
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:52 am

Gives a whole new meaning to 'MasterBlaster', (which is the Nickname of my Thumper).
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby kottke_35 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:18 am

Sweet!

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby AR_Hunter » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:46 pm

That reminds me of the doe I killed late this season. I shot a seventy pounder about 45 yards away and was expecting it to drop in its tracks. It jumped up, turned around and ran about 25 yards before it fell over. I hit it dead in the heart and its heart and lungs were jelly when I skinned it. Deer are some amazingly tough animals; the exit hole was ridiculously large.
AR_Hunter

Return to The Trophy Wall