Deer dont know what hit them

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Deer dont know what hit them

Postby frodobaggins » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:10 am

2zero6 wrote:
frodobaggins wrote:I got my first one with my 450 Sunday after Thanksgiving. Walked 30 yards like nothing happened, then dropped dead on the spot :)

Any pic's? :mrgreen:

Unfortunately no, the 4 wheeler broke down and I had to walk back in and get my stand from my other spot, total trip, 3 miles !
They had it cleaned and cut up by the time I got back, which was nice though :)

It was a little 3 point, about 120 lbs, just shy of a 4 point. (had a little bump but no joy) :)
Shot it through the ribs, severed some arteries. No meat damage !
frodobaggins

Postby wildcatter » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:28 pm

frodobaggins wrote:I got my first one with my 450 Sunday after Thanksgiving. Walked 30 yards like nothing happened, then dropped dead on the spot :)

Again, very unusual, but sometimes they just know they're dead..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby A4570Guy » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:33 am

Ya, my neck shot was a long "lucky" shot. It went in at at angle and I was up on a hill shooting down. The bullet went off the top of the neck bone and went straight out. Fragments got the vein so a lot of blood but no dropping in his tracks. Either way.....I wasnt aiming at at his neck! Hows that for a guy actually telling the truth about a long shot in the wind! I was lucky I even got him. I use a ballistics program on all my loads and guns. I have this one set up for a max shot of 225 yards. He ranged 326 yards. I wasnt even going to try the shot. I have a scope that has 5MOA lines to guide me and used them....and like I said...got lucky!
My program said at that distance I should have been 31.39" low. I didnt have those figures as I never planned on going past 200 really. I did look at this when I got back to the house and after I skinned him and seen what had really happened. The impact was about 18" to the left of where I was holding and the wind drifted it into his neck.
37.0 grains of Lil Gun with a Hornady 250 FXT was the load.
I am very impressed with this little package of a rifle. Thanks Bushmaster!
A4570Guy
Good things begin at 45 caliber
A4570Guy

Previous

Return to The Trophy Wall