The 450 Bushmaster takes a Bison

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

The 450 Bushmaster takes a Bison

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:38 am

Stop by and watch this short video and give this guys video a thumbs up.
What a great shot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joY_pViL ... ata_player
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Re: The 450 Bushmaster takes a Bison

Postby AR_Hunter » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:15 pm

Thumbs up given!
AR_Hunter

Postby commander faschisto » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:00 pm

I'm sure its right difficult to bang-flop a ton of bull bison, but he sure doesn't get far, minus functioning heart and lungs! That was one tough mother...considering the hit he took! :o
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Siringo » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:27 pm

Using a soft nose bullet, he took the correct shot. The heart is usually covered up by the front shoulder ----- till the brute takes a step forward. Then drill 'em. Follow up shot in the lungs is usually done (they have very large lungs) ----

Couple of friends have shot them just behind the ear also ---- and they drop right there. Otherwise, the old time hunters would just keep shooting animal after animal with heart/lung shots and then then they would start dropping after 10 to 20 minutes.

That video looked a little more like hunting that what I am used to. Most of the time it is like shooting ol' bessie on the other side of the fence!!!!

Glad to see a 450B whack a buff!!! Wonder what a Barnes 325 Buster would have done. Probably gone right thru.
Siringo

Postby wildcatter » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:03 pm

Siringo wrote:Using a soft nose bullet, he took the correct shot. The heart is usually covered up by the front shoulder ----- till the brute takes a step forward. Then drill 'em. Follow up shot in the lungs is usually done (they have very large lungs) ----

Couple of friends have shot them just behind the ear also ---- and they drop right there. Otherwise, the old time hunters would just keep shooting animal after animal with heart/lung shots and then then they would start dropping after 10 to 20 minutes.

That video looked a little more like hunting that what I am used to. Most of the time it is like shooting ol' bessie on the other side of the fence!!!!

Glad to see a 450B whack a buff!!! Wonder what a Barnes 325 Buster would have done. Probably gone right thru.

Yeah, that syre wasn't a Bang-Flop and the 250gr FTX was used, or better known as, .."not enough bullet" . I've have many customers that have killed very large Bulls, all with a Bang Flop experiences, but in all cases the bullet was up to the task (various FMJ's 350gr-rn Hornady's, resized to 452", and two now with the Barnes Busters.) The BB's results, were described as absolutely incredible, but in all cases, where the correct bullet was used, it definitely was BANG-FLOP!!!

This brings up a great point. For years we were excoriated for only having a mere pistol bullet. Much less so these days, as the data keeps building. But unlike the 458socom, which "IS" a pistol cartridge, that can not take full advantage of the various 458 bullets on the market, we have no such prohibitions, for we "CAN" use their 458" bullets and use them much more efficiently. Heck, we have many-many (as in hundreds) real pistol bullets available to us that will decide any issue, you point it at and yet, the socom guys still, scoff at us (sic). Well I guess, ignorance must be Bliss..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:21 pm

I read somewhere that the 50 Beowulf won't penetrate 1/4" steel? Is that true?
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:38 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I read somewhere that the 50 Beowulf won't penetrate 1/4" steel? Is that true?

Nope, and that's from personal experience. But having said that, they have made specialty bullets (not normally available) that will, but hey, with those bullets, the total bullets available, come to what, say 10 or 12 or so, where as we have, how many?? I can't count that high. No Dawg, we kill so much better and over a wider profile, that the other Big Bore AR's, can't even come close..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:47 pm

wildcatter wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I read somewhere that the 50 Beowulf won't penetrate 1/4" steel? Is that true?

Nope, and that's from personal experience. But having said that, they have made specialty bullets (not normally available) that will, but hey, with those bullets, the total bullets available, come to what, say 10 or 12 or so, where as we have, how many?? I can't count that high. No Dawg, we kill so much better and over a wider profile, that the other Big Bore AR's, can't even come close..

..t

Nope it's not true? Or Nope, it can't? Kind of confusing response there?
I know for a fact the factory 450B Hornady FTX 250 will zip through 1/4" steel
At 60+ yards. But I read somewhere earlier today where the Beowulf will not.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:04 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
wildcatter wrote:

..t

Nope it's not true? Or Nope, it can't? Kind of confusing response there?
I know for a fact the factory 450B Hornady FTX 250 will zip through 1/4" steel
At 60+ yards. But I read somewhere earlier today where the Beowulf will not.

Sorry 'bout that Robin. It's Nope, it wont normally go through 1/4" plate, that is, using the common bullets (all eight of them, "AmmoGuide"). They are designed to expand down to 300fps in a 50AE, pistol. So, extrapolate that into a 1800fps, with a 300-350gr bullet and you get a Big Splat. We did dent a 1/4" plate, but a 3/8" plate, just showed a nice smudge mark.

Of course you could cheat a little, like the wulf-com guys do and take a 3/8" Full Carbide drill and cut the shank off, so there are no flutes, put a shallow point on the shank. Drill a "U" size, drill hole, into one of your Magtech's, from the bottom. Don't drill all the way through, only go into the bullet, say 3/4th of the way through the bullet, you'll have to determine this yourself. Press your carbide plug into the base. Using your new-found loadings, try a 1" plate. I think you'll be very surprised, now try a 1 1/4" plate, I did a 1 1/2" and thought I could have gone thicker. Keep in mind that your 230's, will become, say, 250-300's, depends on how long the shank is, it doesn't matter how deep into the powder the shank goes, you're not shooting Match here, but you will have to pay close attention to the bullet weight vs powder amounts.

In the early days, I thought this home-spun bullet, was going to be the ticket for the really big animals, like Bison, silly me. However, for you guys new to reloading or the faint of heart, this is a good way to get hurt or worst, don't do it! Play it safe and stick to SAMMI specs, only the crazies would ever make the above load, hummm..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby bushmeister » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:53 pm

very cool! Now I understand why they almost got wiped out, they aren't exactly "runners" are they?
bushmeister

Next

Return to The Trophy Wall