Colorado Bear

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

Colorado Bear

Postby ursusjkb » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:53 pm

My son with first bear, evening of 9/6/2012. First harvest with 450. Handloaded 250 grain Hornady FTX. Foot hills west of Fort Collins Colorado. Bear ear tagged in 2009. 226 dressed weight. One mortal shot through and through, follow-up to anchor, also through and through. About 150 yards.
Attachments
2012 Bear.JPG
Bear 2012
2012 Bear.JPG (87.35 KiB) Viewed 14459 times
ursusjkb

Re: Colorado Bear

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:35 pm

one very happy hunter there!! very nice and congrats
Al in Mi

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:40 pm

Welcome to our Electronic Campfire! We have quite a few Coloradans snooping around on here. Nice Bear! I've hunted Mule Deer down around Delores and That area had Bears in it. I remember Sitting on the side of Lone Cone in a huge stand of Aspens as it was sleeting, looking down and seeing a fresh pile of bear scat right next to me. :o I had no tag for bears that year and even though I had a S&W 6" 586 .357 Mag pistol with 180 grain flat points, along with my 7mm Rem Mag, I decided that I might ought to keep moving back down to camp more than a mile away.
Fort Collins? Hey, Has Rush had any Bake sales there lately? :roll:
LOL! That was the good old days.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:02 pm

Congratulations! What kind of charging handle is that?

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby kottke_35 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:34 pm

Nice bear! I don't live to awful far from there myself. Are you guys local to that area?

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Jeepejeep » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:27 pm

Nice!
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby ursusjkb » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:18 am

Hi folks and thanks for the nice replies. Yes, he is one happy hunter for sure. He also has a bull moose tag for N. Park Colorado, so should be a really great year.

Sheepdawg - Rush hasn't been around that I know of recently. And Lone Cone - wow that is in the hinterlands (at least from here) and have been in that country twice and it is a great place to visit. Crossing the Dolores is a beautiful drive as well. We usually hunt bear north of there on the Umcompraghe but didn't want to wait for the points so took a chance close to home. SW Colorado I think is the best part of the state and still very very wild. Places where wolves come up from New Mexico and the last (so far) grizzly was killed by an archer in self defense. Your scat story reminds of two years ago on the Umcompraghe getting into a tight spot in the oak brush with a shooting lane in the dark that I sat Dustin on and as it got light so we could start to see, he said something in a whisper about being in a good place for bear and when I asked why he said "I've been sitting in a big pile of bear .... "

Hoot - that is a stock Bushmaster, straight from the factory, with a couple of attachments. I think what you may be seeing is the Swan Sleeve - it extends the rail out over the hand guard. It has a Burris 2.5X handgun scope out toward the muzzle end of the rifle. I have the buttstock 1" extension from Bushmaster on the rifle. Its my attempt at a "scout" rifle version and works pretty well. You can bring it up and keep both eyes open while using the scope. I wanted to use the rifle on bears and boars at closer range in heavier cover, such as draingages here in CO. Also could see using it in oak brush country for bear and deer.

k0ttke_35, yes, both local to Fort Collins.

Thanks again, it was posts to this well moderated sight that convinced me to buy the 450 this year - glad I found the site and also bought the rifle.
Take care,
ursusjkb

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:44 am

I've got a journal and a fat photo album on my Colorado hunts. They were memories worth remembering.
LOL! You dared to try and spell Uncompahgre!
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby ursusjkb » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:20 am

I know it starts with a U then a bunch of other letters. LOL for sure. I ought to have looked it up like I usually do, never can remember the correct spelling on my own. Of course I've got to proof for their and there and a couple of others that my fingers type before my brain engages. Take care, John
ursusjkb

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:35 am

ursusjkb wrote:I know it starts with a U then a bunch of other letters. LOL for sure. I ought to have looked it up like I usually do, never can remember the correct spelling on my own. Of course I've got to proof for their and there and a couple of others that my fingers type before my brain engages. Take care, John

Tell the truth, I had to look it up on Google Earth before typing just to keep from hurting myself. :lol:

-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Next

Return to The Trophy Wall