My first runner

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

My first runner

Postby bushmeister » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:10 am

Well, as deer season comes to a close and no antlers in sight, I decided to take another doe for the freezer. It was a 70 yd shot quartering towards me. To my surprise she ran...about 100 yds. The difference between this and my other backflip and die deer, is that this one was quartering towards me. The shot was right behind the front shoulder but exited from just behind the ribcage. I'm guessing that this angle only punctured one lung rather than both and the heart had it been standing broadside. Regardless, my freezer looks much better :D .
bushmeister

Re: My first runner

Postby Siringo » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:42 am

B -- the deer I shot this year was they same, identical situation. My shot clipped one lung, but decimated the liver. Deer (4 pt) ran 50 yards, fell down, got up and stood there shaking its head for about a minute and then expired. I did not shoot twice because it was behind a bunch of new growth. Shot could have been forward about 6 inches more to hit more of the vitals.

I always get a kick out of reading on the internet about how deer are shot and fall over dead right there. In 20+ years of deer hunting, that has happened only once to me. Most deer run unless the central nervous system is shut down. Minnesota deer really must be tough!!!!
Siringo

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:39 am

Siringo wrote:B -- the deer I shot this year was they same, identical situation. My shot clipped one lung, but decimated the liver. Deer (4 pt) ran 50 yards, fell down, got up and stood there shaking its head for about a minute and then expired. I did not shoot twice because it was behind a bunch of new growth. Shot could have been forward about 6 inches more to hit more of the vitals.

I always get a kick out of reading on the internet about how deer are shot and fall over dead right there. In 20+ years of deer hunting, that has happened only once to me. Most deer run unless the central nervous system is shut down. Minnesota deer really must be tough!!!!

I have been deer hunting 32 years and thinking back, I must have been extremely lucky.
My very first deer was a doe. 12 gauge slug. Range about 80 yards. Spinal tap in the back. Flipped her, she never got back up.
My very first Buck was a spike. 12 Gauge OOO Buck 3" Mag. Range about 25 feet. Dropped like a 16 ton anvil on Monty Python.
My very first Archery kill was a doe. 25 yards. Magnus/Ted Nugent 125 grain broadhead and 2213 arrow shot from a Martin Cheetah at 62 Lbs.
The arrow hit her perfect behind the shoulder and high in the lungs. Complete pass through, Exited at the Tan/White
hairline on the other side and stuck in the dirt. She flinched, then started looking around to see what the noise was. After about ten seconds, she went back
to eating on an old corn stalk. Blood is pouring out of her. She didn't even know I was in town. She started getting light-headed I guess, and after about another
15 seconds, so she started walking off down the tree line. She walked about 30 yards, then fell over dead.
Shot a little buck in a tobacco field in TN with my 7mm Mag. 175 grain soft point, range 80 yards, hit high above the shoulder
just under the spine He dropped like a sack of taters.
My first Colorado Mule deer was a 70 yard shot, 7mm Mag 175 grain soft point. He was trotting across left to right. My first shot grazed his neck in front of the shoulders.
He stopped. Second shot was exactly the same as my tobacco buck and he too dropped like a sack of taters.
Most recent buck was a Texas spike and I drilled him at about forty yards with a 30-06 150 grain Nosler Ballistic tip. Bullet hit him in the front chest and passed
through exiting behind the last right rib. He ran 80 yards and collapsed.
I have only lost one deer due to a bad archery shot and he is probably still alive today with nothing more than a small scar on his belly.
He probably thought I was trying to circumcise him....
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby BayouBob » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:45 am

After I had to swim a creek for one on a cold December night I started shooting to break a shoulder on every deer. I loose a few ounces of hamburger meat but they don't go anywhere. If I hit them right on the point of the shoulder standing broadside it causes enough trauma to the spine that they drop like a sack of potatoes. If they are quartering they stumble for a few yards but no more blood trailing.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:10 pm

:D Congrats... a running deer is no easy target ;) In the 40+yrs i've been deer huntin' :? i can count all the "running deer" i ever shot on two hands :|

:) i have to agree with bayou bob & siringo... nothing beats a high shoulder, head or throat shot for a one shot stop on the spot! ;)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Return to The Trophy Wall