Wound Channel Pictures

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Wound Channel Pictures

Postby nickdeannow » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:58 pm

I couldn't wait any longer. I went ahead and shot a doe last night. I thought I missed a 60yd chip shot. She ran without anything appearing wrong, into the woods out of sight. Turns out I hit her exactly where I wanted. Just barely behind the front leg. She went a total of about 70 yards before she wadded up. It was a great kill with zero trauma to either front quarter, but my first experience was not a "bang...flop."
nickdeannow

Postby Mort » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:35 pm

I too purposely shoot just behind the front legs, as to limit meat damage. I have taken 7 deer with my 450b and have never had a bang-flop. I'm sure a full-on shoulder shot would yield different results, as well as ruin lots of meat.
Mort

Postby kottke_35 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:14 pm

The only true bang flops I've experienced have been when trauma accrues to the cns. Neck and spine shots mostly. I have had a bang flop with a 12 gauge slug while shooting for the crease and hitting the off side shoulder, my favorite shot no doubt. The doe I shot this year with my bushmaster ran 10 yards with a collapsed throat and no heart. Goes to show the resiliency of animals.

I bet if it was a good shot, it wasn't difficult to follow the blood trail!

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:51 pm

A few years ago, I shot a spike with my 30-06 Browning ABolt. The shot was not long, 25-30 yards, head on, in the chest between both shoulders below the base of his neck. The bullet was a Nosler Ballistic Tip 150 grain. It exited just in front of the right hip behind the last rib. His insides were mostly jelly. He ran 80 yards. Just telling you this story to show you that even perfect shots through vitals won't stop a deer from his death run if you do not make a connection with the CNS.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby lungingturtle2 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:03 am

I too had shot a buck facing me straight on, I centered the shot between his front legs and a little low (top of heart) with a 12 ga. rem. solid copper slug (2" groups at 100 yds.) he went down in his tracks and never moved. I think I collapsed his CNS. My best bang-flop ever. I was a little worried because I had never taken a shot like that before but I had no choice as he had seen me and was going to bolt. There was no exit wound but I never found the slug.
lungingturtle2

Postby Nosparks » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:14 pm

The best way it was ever explained to me was like this.
"Hold your breath and see how far you can run. A four legged animal will run up to twice as far as that on a single breath. When you take a Heart or lung shot, the animal has the ability to run as long as there is blood to the brain. If its a lung shot, the animal basically drowns after it exhales and then inhales. If its a heart shot it can actually go further as the leg muscles act as a secondary heart, forcing blood through the body as the muscles expand and contract."
Now for exactly how true that is I don't know, but it makes the most sense to me. If your shot damages the spine anywhere between the shoulders and the upper neck, flop! I have personally "bang-flopped" deer with my bow and crossbow when sitting in my tree stand, by shooting them right between the shoulder blades. CNS is the true "Bang-flop" zone!!

Now not having actually done this, I would imagine that a 450 placed with in a few inches of the spine would render a bang-flop, do to the kinetic energy dispersing outward and disrupting the nervous system. And I would also bet that if you used the bullet WC designed this gun for 300 gr solid jacketed bullet (There's a thread on it somewhere around here) anywhere near the vitals would bang flop anything!
Nosparks

Postby Nosparks » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:25 pm

And I would also bet that if you used the bullet WC designed this gun for 300 gr solid jacketed bullet (There's a thread on it somewhere around here) anywhere near the vitals would bang flop anything!

WC will have to correct that last sentence, I cant seem to find that thread easily. But there was a picture of a 450 projectile that had ALMOST NO mushroom to it after being fired.
Nosparks

Postby Hoot » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:14 pm

There is virtually a cornucopia of accounts going both ways. You can not dispute a CNS hit, but there are as many unexplainable bang flops as well. When I was a man of limited means, the first deer rifle I could afford on my own was a Marlin 336C in 30-30, with a fixed 4x scope. That season, I shot a 4 point buck at somewhere around 60 yards standing still, broadside to me. The cheapo, 150 gr bullet went in just behind the right shoulder between two ribs, straight through and out just behind the left shoulder, breaking a rib on the way out. The buck bowled over sideways like it had been struck by lightning, front feet together, rear feet together, like they were bound and he just tipped over. Back then, I wasn't as interested in doing a thorough post mortem, but the exit wound was barely larger than the entrance wound.

Go figure...Image

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:40 am

Speaking of bang flops. The very first deer that I ever shot in my life was a doe. She was perfectly broadside at about 100 yards and I put a 12 gauge Remington slug right through her spine, mid ship. Totally trashed the back straps. But it flipped her so hard, she literally rolled midair, and landed with her feet sticking straight up in the air. It was comical. The second bang flop on a deer that I experienced was on a spike buck that was about 15 yards from my stand and I shot him with a Remington 12 gauge three inch magnum triple-Ought buck shot. He didn't even flinch after hitting the ground.
My Ruger M77 MKII 7mm Rem mag has bang flopped a Mulie and a TN whitetail buck.
My first deer with a bow was a totally different experience. I was using my Martin Cheetah compound at 63 Lbs pull, using a 2213 whackmaster arrow with a 125 grain Ted Nugent series Magnus two blade broad head. At 25 yards, I put the arrow right behind her left shoulder. The arrow exited the right side right where her tan and white fur met and stuck in the ground about a yard or two behind her. She was nibbling on an old corn stalk when I shot her. When the arrow hit her, she flinched, crouched for a second as if posing to run, but she froze there for a second. She looked around trying to figure out what happened. After a few tense moments, she relaxed and went right back to nibbling on the corn stalk, with a crimson trail streaming down her side, she didn't even know the kid was in town! After about 30-40 seconds, she started acting nervous and started walking away. That's right, walking. She literally walked thirty yards and fell over dead. It was the most awesome kill on a deer that I had ever made. The bow had been signed by my buddy, Ted Nugent earlier that same year. I still think that was the magic that made my bow kill so awesome. LOL!
image.jpg
Bowkill
image.jpg (79.81 KiB) Viewed 15245 times
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby nickdeannow » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:14 am

In the spirit of the original topic, I will post my wound channel pics if someone will tell me how. Do they have to be on the Web somewhere and then point to the URL??
I also have a picture of a FTX .430 bullet I recovered from the shoulder of my dad's buck this year, I just don't know how to share...
nickdeannow

PreviousNext

Return to The Trophy Wall