Finally a doe with the bolt action 450!

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Finally a doe with the bolt action 450!

Postby dogsniper » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:11 am

Here we go...a little more time in front of the computer, and I got the size right on the photos. This includes the rifle, and a better picture of the size of the hole. My dad was the first person I called when I got to the deer, and the way I described the hole to him was something like this...

"You have GOT to come see this hole, it looks like I shot her with a freaking BASEBALL!"

So, clearly, the hole isn't THAT big, but in the excitement, that's how I described it!
It's not the size of the Dog in the Fight that matters....It's the amount of Fight in the Dog!
dogsniper

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:42 pm

image.jpg
450boltaction
image.jpg (256.96 KiB) Viewed 9129 times

This help?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:42 pm

commander faschisto wrote:Nice! You need to take that thing moose hunting with some hand-rolled 275gr Barnes XPBs....

Got that right!!
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby 45r » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:32 pm

Good shot and doe.
I've shot a lot of deer with slugs,rifle,muzzleloader and the 450 is second to none in performance.
I use 225 flex tips over 38 grains lil-gun and it hammers deer.
One inch groups are the norm.
At 2450 fps it does a lot of damage and deer don't go far.
The 450 has become my go to gun for woods hunting.
Nice looking bolt action.
45r

Postby dogsniper » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:07 pm

Thanks 45r for the complement on the rifle.

I am using the 250grain FTX over Lil' Gun myself....I would have to look up the recipe to see exactly how much, but my chrony showed 'em leaving the business end of my rifle at a little more than 2300, just shy of 2400 if my memory serves me correctly. I had zero signs of pressure issues, and could probably push them harder, but like you, I was getting sub MOA groups, and that was 5 shot groups, so I figure, if it shoots that good, leave it alone! Hoping to add one more deer to the rifle tomorrow. We got about 5 inches of snow yesterday (Jan, 2nd) here in my part of Indiana, and they are calling for between 6-12" more coming in Saturday night/Sunday. This is our last weekend of "Special Antlerless Only" season here, and I need to get my treestands down anyway. So, I am hoping the storm front has them up and moving in the morning. With the snow on the ground, if I pound one, the pictures of the red snow alone should be awesome!
It's not the size of the Dog in the Fight that matters....It's the amount of Fight in the Dog!
dogsniper

Previous

Return to The Trophy Wall