Finally a doe with the bolt action 450!

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

Finally a doe with the bolt action 450!

Postby dogsniper » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:42 am

So, it's been quite a while since I have been on the forum. Work has been super busy. I want to first off say merry Christmas to everyone! This year I finally had a chance to harvest a deer with the custom bolt action 450 I built last year. Not a huge doe, but it was a 75 yard shot thru some brush from the ground. An easy poke with this rifle. Let me say the blood trail was Extremely easy to follow! First off it was only about 35 yards long, but it was incredible! Not a spot here a spot there, but a 20" path of red! The picture is how the doe was when I walked up to her. I simply placed my rifle and pulled out my phone for a picture. For those that may not remember my rifles have 24" McGowen barrels with a 1:24" twist and I am shooting hand loads with 250gn Hornady FTX. Velocity is just shy of 2400fps. This is the entrance hole! The two ribs were gone. It was a quartering away shot and the bullet exited just in front of the right shoulder at the base of the neck. This is one AWESOME deer round!!

So, I didn't size the pictures correctly... Will try to figure that out...
It's not the size of the Dog in the Fight that matters....It's the amount of Fight in the Dog!
dogsniper

Re: Finally a doe with the bolt action 450!

Postby commander faschisto » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:19 pm

Nice! You need to take that thing moose hunting with some hand-rolled 275gr Barnes XPBs....
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Spike1 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:55 pm

Dropped two does myself this year. Nice shooting, they don't run far and there easy to trail. :lol:
Spike1

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:31 pm

Wow! You drained her radiator!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby lungingturtle2 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:53 pm

Congratulations on your rifle's first deer. On a side note here in the Peoples Republic of Illinois a picture like that would get you a citation from our local DNR officer, yes a local shot a deer legally and posted a picture of it on facebook before tagging it and the DNR officer came to his house and cited him for not tagging it first. He had not field dressed or touched the deer yet, just took the pic when he walked up to it. I know I couldn't believe it, but the officer is famous for this kind of thing. By the way she's a female.
lungingturtle2

Postby Ghost Dog » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:41 pm

Nice!!!!
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:47 pm

Well. As far as I'm concerned, pictures of game animals like this are welcome on the forum, as are Post Mortem pics showing wound channels. As for that DNR officer in Illinois, she can pound sand. Who's to say the tag was on a hoof or ear that wasn't showing. She's merely abusing her powers to harass.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby paulmark3010 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:07 pm

You got a pic of the gun? :twisted:
paulmark3010

Postby dogsniper » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:57 am

Yes, I do have pictures of the gun. If I could figure out how to resize the pictures, the first picture has the rifle laying on her rear quarter. Also, ther are pictures of the three I built in the bolt action section of this forum. I believe they are under the "Another Bolt Action under Construction", about the 5th page or something like that. Sorry, I must admit I am not nearly as good at linking web pages and such as I am at putting meat in the freezer! haha

By the way, I would like to say that everyone here needs to go to YouTube and search the 450Bushmaster Penetration tests that Texas Sheepdawg did...I found those videos last weekend when a friend told me they saw a 450 shooting perfect holes thru plates of steel. AS soon as I saw the video and who posted them, I remembered he was one of the members here that has ansered many of my questions when I was searching for information to build these rifles! So, I would like to say, THANKS AGAIN to everyone that helped answer those questions, pittedbore, TexasSheepdawg, Wildcatter and all the others! And also, GREAT videos showing the incredible power these rounds produce!

AS for the Illinois DNR Officer, wow! I could be wrong, but I believe here in Indiana, The animal must be properly tagged before TRANSPORT, not before photos are taken...maybe I should look into that....
It's not the size of the Dog in the Fight that matters....It's the amount of Fight in the Dog!
dogsniper

Postby dogsniper » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:02 am

paulmark3010 wrote:You got a pic of the gun? :twisted:

If I did this right, this is a link to the forum here with pictures of my rifle. There are three rifles that I built, mine is the one with the stainless barrel and silver Nikon scope. I hope the link works

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1207&start=70
dogsniper

Next

Return to The Trophy Wall