Finally - after six years ...

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

Finally - after six years ...

Postby pitted bore » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:59 pm

I started building my 450 Bushmaster bolt gun in 2008, and posted some photos of it on this forum and the calguns 450B thread in early 2009: Bolt Action Rifle Picture Thread
My objective was always to use the rifle to shoot piggies. However, there are no pigs wandering around in the woods in the U.P. of Michigan, so I hauled it to Texas in 2010 and to Tennessee in 2013 without getting a shot. Finally, last week during the hog shoot organized by the 24hourcampfire in Tennessee, I killed a pig.

I really wanted to use the pig to test the load, which consisted of a 200-grain Barnes pointed XPB .451" with sufficient Lil'Gun to produce a muzzle velocity of at least 2750 fps from the 20" barrel. Barnes developed the bullet to work at a MV of about 2300 fps, which was considerably slower than from the rifle. I was not worried about the bullet coming apart, but I wasn't sure how much it might expand either.
The "hunt" took place at the Wilderness Hunting Lodge near Monterey. The event is no hunt; it's like grocery shopping with a rifle.

In mid-morning I wandered into the woods with three other guys, and we soon saw some pigs near a bale of hay about 70 yards away. There were a couple of black colored pigs, a brown, and one pinto (black & white). We eased to within 40 yards and I moved to where I could get a shot down the length of a pinto-pig's body.

The piggie dropped at the shot: bang-flop. Some guys hanging out at the lodge 300 yards away later said the shot was LOUD. My companions were surprised at how loud was the sound of the bullet hitting the pig. They moved off to search for their own pigs after taking a photo of me and my dead farm animal. I went after help to get the pig to the processing shed.

Unfortunately, the bullet was not recovered. I wasn't oriented as straight on as I had thought, and the bullet exited the neck. It wasn't recovered and for all I know it's still going.
--Bob
Last edited by pitted bore on Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
pitted bore

Re: Finally - after six years ...

Postby wildcatter » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:29 pm

pitted bore wrote:I started building my 450 Bushmaster bolt gun in 2008, and posted some photos of it on this forum and the calguns 450B thread in early 2009: Bolt Action Rifle Picture Thread
My objective was always to use the rifle to shoot piggies. However, there are no pigs wandering around in the woods in the U.P. of Michigan, so I hauled it to Texas in 2010 and to Tennessee in 2013 without getting a shot. Finally, last week during the hog shoot organized by the 24hourcampfire in Tennessee, I killed a pig.

I really wanted to use the pig to test the load, which consisted of a 200-grain Barnes pointed XPB .451" with sufficient Lil'Gun to produce a muzzle velocity of at least 2750 fps from the 20" barrel. Barnes developed the bullet to work at a MV of about 2300 fps, which was considerably slower than from the rifle. I was not worried about the bullet coming apart, but I wasn't sure how much it might expand either.
The "hunt" took place at the Wilderness Hunting Lodge near Monterey. The event is no hunt; it's like grocery shopping with a rifle.

In mid-morning I wandered into the woods with three other guys, and we soon saw some pigs near a bale of hay about 70 yards away. There were a couple of black colored pigs, a brown, and one pinto (black & white). We eased to within 40 yards and I moved to where I could get a shot down the length of a pinto-pig's body.

The piggie dropped at the shot: bang-flop. Some guys hanging out at the lodge 300 yards away later said the shot was LOUD. My companions were surprised at how loud was the sound of the bullet hitting the pig. They moved off to search for their own pigs after taking a photo of me and my dead farm animal. I went after help to get the pig to the processing shed.

Unfortunately, the bullet was not recovered. I wasn't oriented as straight on as I had thought, and the bullet exited the neck. It wasn't recovered and for all I know it's still going.
--Bob

That's our Bad Bob! Our Bab-Bad Bobber!!

So, MR. Bang Flop, please do tell, those that have spent tons on Tracking Skills, how much better it is not to have to do any tracking at all!!

Welcome to the Ranks of the serious Killers Club, Doc..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby wildcatter » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:42 pm

FYI.. I have a customer who reported the same circumstances. Sounds like he was shooting more head on, to the pig??

He reported the bullet leaving the south end of the piggy and the shock was so tremendous, that the tail came off. And ,more importantly, he reported, that absolutely "NO" meat was destroyed, unless you call entrails meat..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby pitted bore » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:52 pm

wildcatter wrote:FYI.. I have a customer who reported the same circumstances. Sounds like he was shooting more head on, to the pig??

He reported the bullet leaving the south end of the piggy and the shock was so tremendous, that the tail came off. And ,more importantly, he reported, that absolutely "NO" meat was destroyed, unless you call entrails meat..

T-
I tried to line up for the same shot your customer reported: stem to stern. Apparently my piggy was at a slight angle so that as I was looking at it head on, it's head concealed the rest of its body being slightly off-axis. My bullet hit just under the left eye and exited a bit ahead of the right shoulder.

Even had I made the shot I wanted, I'm not sure I'd have recovered the bullet, since Barnes bullets are notable penetrators. Maybe a bison?
--Bob
pitted bore

Return to The Trophy Wall