First Blood

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

First Blood

Postby Hogslayer » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:00 pm

First hog with the new 450B. 60 yard shot offhand using Hornady 250g FTX. Ran about 50 yards. Great bloodtrail. She sure is going to be tasty!

Hogslayer

Re: First Blood

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:45 am

Excellent!
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Spike1 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:22 am

Congratulation. Yummie. The Hornaday 250 does make for a nice blood trail.
Spike1

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:08 am

The answer is: Bacon! :)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby wildcatter » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:38 pm

commander faschisto wrote:The answer is: Bacon! :)

Absolutely, Bacon and Eggs with a side of American Fries. Topped With with a gallon of Orange Juice, Commander Fast Furious and I will be over in the morning!! Over easy on my eggs.

50yds and a great blood trail. I take it, the hit was pretty much a lung shot? Was the offside ground splattered with lung material. I ask to understand why it wasn't a Bang-Flop. This can happen with a pure lung hit and it has with me, but the offside in a 10' cone and 10' into the trees was covered in Lung pieces. And a blind man could have followed that blood trail.

That Momma looked to be suckling Piglets?? Or maybe she hadn't had them quite yet??

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hogslayer » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:50 pm

Yup you are right it was a pure lung shot. There were pieces of lung lying where I hit her. When I dressed her, there was a 2 inch diameter hole right through both lungs. There was lung even hanging out of the exit wound. The only way to bang flop a hog that works consistently is a spine or brain shot. Sometimes breaking the front shoulder will do it but it is unpredictable. I shoulder shoot them only when they are moving or if I am shooting offhand.

I killed a 300 lb boar this fall with a 223 with a shot behind the ear and he didn't even twitch. I made the mistake once of shoulder shooting a boar with the same rifle. The bullet hit the armor plate and deflected downwards, exiting the shoulder below the torso of the boar. He came after me. I learned that day that a properly motivated shooter can still find a hog in a 12x scope...All i could see was black hog. Shot number 7 dropped him about 10 feet from me. There were so many fatal wounds in him I don't know what finished him off. My nephew was watching from the truck. To quote him, "It sounded like WWIII out there." and "The rate of fire rapidly increased toward the end!"

That learning experience led me to acquire a 450 upper.
Hogslayer

Postby wildcatter » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:32 pm

Hogslayer wrote:Yup you are right it was a pure lung shot. There were pieces of lung lying where I hit her. When I dressed her, there was a 2 inch diameter hole right through both lungs. There was lung even hanging out of the exit wound. The only way to bang flop a hog that works consistently is a spine or brain shot. Sometimes breaking the front shoulder will do it but it is unpredictable. I shoulder shoot them only when they are moving or if I am shooting offhand.

I killed a 300 lb boar this fall with a 223 with a shot behind the ear and he didn't even twitch. I made the mistake once of shoulder shooting a boar with the same rifle. The bullet hit the armor plate and deflected downwards, exiting the shoulder below the torso of the boar. He came after me. I learned that day that a properly motivated shooter can still find a hog in a 12x scope...All i could see was black hog. Shot number 7 dropped him about 10 feet from me. There were so many fatal wounds in him I don't know what finished him off. My nephew was watching from the truck. To quote him, "It sounded like WWIII out there." and "The rate of fire rapidly increased toward the end!"

That learning experience led me to acquire a 450 upper.

Several things come to mind.This is why I always shoot the lowest power possible. If I am shooting a multiple powered scope, I ALWAYS sight in using the lowest power (Heck, at the National Matches, we shoot irons at 1000yds). Saving the highest power to examine the animal and then turning to the lowest power for the shot. If a charge occurs, we won't be reading about you, from the Morgue, as to why you couldn't properly see the charging critter in your scope!

Heck you blow the shot with a powerful Bolt Gun or even a lever action, y'all ain'ts gots NO (as in ZERO-0) time to get a second shot into the charger starting out at what, 60 yds!! But with the 450 you can get 6 accurate shots off in about 7-8 seconds! AND there is nothing charging you, in the entire world (assuming the scope is of a low power variety), that can take 5-6 450 rds in fast succession! Remember, because the rifle is already at your shoulder the second follow-up shot will occurs in under 2 seconds, slowing down the animal every-time you shoot!!

And finally, as you have learned and I hope others are listening.." when the shots are marginal and they are always marginal, take enough gun"!!

This is NOT a sport!! A Sport denotes that the other side has an equal chance of winning! Not for ME! Does the phrase I want a "Sledge-Hammer", apply here??

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hogslayer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:42 pm

Yup I learned my lesson about having your scope on low power for sure. The hog in the pic was shot on 3x. By the way, she was full of milk but I did not see any piglets. When I dressed her, she did not appear to be pregnant. I guess either the piglets all died of natural causes or they were back in the brush and I never spotted them.
Hogslayer

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:45 pm

I posted a video of a guy getting charged by a pissed off hog over on the Texas Sheepdawgs Campfire on FB a few days ago. He had a bolt gun. Had he missed..... It would have been over for him. He had a bolt gun. Shot the hog in the face. The hog stopped at about 3 feet, shook it off and stumbled away.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Sesshoku » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:55 am

Nice work bringing home the bacon. I can't wait to go on another hoggin adventure, and I ain't talking about the kind you do in a bar.
Sesshoku

Return to The Trophy Wall