New Guy Checking in.

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

New Guy Checking in.

Postby ncwg2boatguy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:05 am

Hey folks I am new to the 450 BM but love it so far and look forward to picking your brains about it. Anyone have any hunting cartridge recommendations? Hornady seems to have cornered the market with the 250gr Leverlution.

Thanks,

Jim Clarke
Jim Clarke
CMC USN Retired, 27yrs
Seabee's CAN DO!!
ncwg2boatguy

Re: New Guy Checking in.

Postby commander faschisto » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:54 pm

Greetings!...welcome to the electronic campfire. If you want to use factory fodder, there are currently only two choices, the Hornady 250gr FTX and the Remmy 260gr Accu-tip loads. Either one will do quite nicely for anything on this continent, at normal shooting ranges. The 450b got the nickname "Thumper" for a very good reason! Many tales of "bang-flop" engagements with the furry friends. Its an amazing gun/caliber, as you will come to find out soon, sounds like. Have fun!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Remmy is (supposedly) soon to come out with a 275gr "Hog Hammer" loading, with a Barnes XPB at the pointy end. Should be a good hammer for just about anything, for that matter.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby ncwg2boatguy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:34 am

Thanks for the info Brother. Going shooting Saturday morning. Turkey season here in Va. HeHe...450BM would surely make a mess of a turkey. Not to worry. My 1100 will be with me.

Jimbo
Jim Clarke
CMC USN Retired, 27yrs
Seabee's CAN DO!!
ncwg2boatguy

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:56 am

Welcome to our electronic campfire! Hey commander, throw on a few more hotdogs!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:01 pm

ncwg2boatguy wrote:Thanks for the info Brother. Going shooting Saturday morning. Turkey season here in Va. HeHe...450BM would surely make a mess of a turkey. Not to worry. My 1100 will be with me.

Jimbo

Welcome James,

Watch that Commander Fast & Furious! He's a stealer of the CampFire S'mores, just ask TSD! On second thought don't trust the TSD either, rumor is he's been passing PBJ's off as S'mores!!

But Welcome, Welcome..

To your request the factory fodder will do everything you want to kill out to 300yds. I know some argue that, that's to far and 250yd is more like it. But I gotta tell ya, if, and the if is a with a Capital "IF", if you do your part, I personally have killed many deer and sundries' of other Big&Small game, at ranges well past 300yds (Why, Just this morning, I set up a double on Red Squirrels, that were destroying my house, @200yds). Not to mention that I have files and files, of guys doing much better. The 250FTX does break up sometimes, but don't let that bother you at all. Because, usually we think of bullets breaking up as being bad. Which is true, in the far lessor calibers. But with the 250gr FTX at our speeds, breaking up, and I too have seen it, you'll still kill the critter "BANG-FLOP"!!

Again, WELCOME and I can't wait to read your exploits with the 450b..

..t

PS.. Whatever your expectations are for your 450 Bushmaster, think again, because that baby is going to far exceed your Wildest expectations (You'll See!).. Anybody care to second that last statement??..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:10 pm

I have a steel plate that can testify.....
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Nosparks » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:04 pm

All you have to do is shoot the 450bm one time and you will be addicted! So far 3 of the 4 hunting buddies of mine have purchased a 450 since shooting mine! And range... well with practice 300 yards will be child's play!

Welcome to the board!
Nosparks

Postby Ghost Dog » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:15 pm

Welcome!
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby commander faschisto » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:37 pm

Dittos to all the above...don't underestimate what your 450b rig can do...somewhere here is the post about it taking a record-book Alaska grizzly, one shot, no problem at all. What chance does a deer stand? (hmmm...can a deer stand shoot a rifle?) You need to look at Texas Sheepdog's steel plate posts...ouch!
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Return to The Trophy Wall