2 for 1 Deal

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

2 for 1 Deal

Postby kobraken » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:28 am

Just to set things up:
450 Bushmaster 250grn Hornady rds, 6x Leupold scope, Wicked Lights in Green LED
Ground Stand that gets me about 4' above my victims, heavily screened with Pine limbs and a camoflage net, and me wearing a full ghillie suit.
Everything in the blind has been washed or sprayed with a scent eliminator, especially me.
Sprayed a scent cover on the camo net to give additional insurance, cause this particular hog can smell a mosquito pass gas at 1 mile.

I have a feeder set up for a 75 yd shot, with a Inhawgnito remote control light, and i have been feeding corn that i sour in water and add 2 OLD beers and strawberry jello and i have turned himinto a serious alcoholic.
The Victim:: I have named this big boar "The Phantom" because he has been under my gun 3 times and dissappeared before i could get a good shot. I don't shoot till im confident in a clean kill because i dont want to wound any animal, and i WILL NOT track a wounded pig into the brush/swamp at nite. As i tell my buddies" No body, it didnt happen".

Got to my stand saturday nite about 5 ish, the wind was in my face so i was real happy. At about 6 a turkey walked onto my corn ate a little and then walked to within 10' of me and never saw me. So now im thinking if he shows up i got him this time. At 8 a small group moves thru the corn but a coyote pack started raising cane down in the bottoms and made them spooky and since "The Phantom" wasnt with them i let them go. This is a common tactic that i have observed on my game camera, he let this group go first and then his group shows up about 30-45 minutes later.
At 9:15 more hogs show up, and i recognize a little white spotted pig that i named Waldo so i know this is the Phantoms group. I triggered the remote feeder so they have some more corn to eat and it lets them spread out a little more. The Phantom moves onto the corn and takes a bite and moves out of the light, a few minutes later hes back and takes another bite and moves again. This continues on for several minutes and then he disappears from view and i hear him moving away down over the hill. WHAT THE @#$%!!!!! How has he busted me? nobody else is concerned, so what is going on??

So at this point the corn is disappearing so i decide to hit his biggest girl friend. I wait till she is broadside to me at 75 yds, turn on my Wicked light for just a little more clarity, line it up and BAM! She drops like a rock, and everybody scatters. I wait a few minutes to see if anybody wants to join her, but no takers. So i go over to her, heart/lung shot right thru the armor anda nice exit wound. Very impressive for me. Load her up and go process her.

Next morning, i go back about 11 ish to refill my feeder since i am going to be gone for two weeks. I walk up to the feeder and start to fill it up and i can smell hog. I look around, check the wind, and start walking down over the hill from the feeder and about 60 yds out is a boar dead as a hammer. Apparently he was behind the sow that i killed and the thru and thru got him as well. I look him over and he was a double lung shot and he is a thru and thru as well. Can you believe the thumper put a 250 grn thru 2 pigs, that 4 layers of hog armor??? Im sold , and now my buddies all want to borrow my rifle to hunt hogs as well. Ken
I will post a pic of the sow as soon as i can resize it.
Attachments
334small.jpg
334small.jpg (96.42 KiB) Viewed 11405 times
335small.jpg
335small.jpg (98.74 KiB) Viewed 11405 times
336small.jpg
336small.jpg (89.28 KiB) Viewed 11405 times
Here piggy,piggy,piggy, I got something for you.
kobraken

Re: 2 for 1 Deal

Postby Ghost Dog » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:01 pm

Maken bacon! Nice!!!!
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby Kobyashu » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:27 am

Great write-up! I enjoyed the glimpse into your hunt. Thanks for sharing!

Kobyashu
Kobyashu

Postby wildcatter » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:59 am

See, I have been telling you. .."That there is more going on in this caliber than the charts reveal."..

Note: Two with one shot.
Shot through Four (4) shoulder plates
Two clean kills
The plates represent the difficulty of shooting through 4 adult deer with one shot (maybe more), that is Northern U.S. Deer (about 150 lbs each).
The plates are so difficult to cut through you'd better have the correct equipment. Most guys just carve them out and discard them.
Only super special arrows and bows will even penetrate even one. Normal Bow/Arrow setups aren't used.

So, here's the Deal! I've read complaints about the FTX breaking up or shedding jackets. This is something to be concerned about in lessor calibers, but in ours, it's of no concern, because Bang Flop is always in Play. Can you pick better bullets, why yes of course, but you'd have to reload and with hundreds of bullets to choose from, the argument of bullet break-up vs Wounding an animal and it's associated consequences, in our caliber becomes a become a Non sequitur.

I tell you again. In the history of Ballistics vs Small Arms, we've never really had, high speed big bore caliber rifles. so, it follows that we are going to see stuff that defies logic. And this double proves my premise. Define your mission and then pick your bullet, you can make huge mistakes in this endeavor, and still come out on top!!

Now, go Kill something and Sin No More..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Kiwi Greg » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:51 am

Very well done :)

I'm not surprised the 250 FTX you used (if it was) did that.

I did some testing recently, with some 452 pistol projectiles & the 250 FTX at approximately 950 FPS into a 44 Gallon drum nearly full of water.

The 250 FTX I removed from Hornady Factory ammo was undamaged apart from the rifling grooves after firing into the drum.

I will do some testing of factory ammo at some stage, they are only going at 2025-50fps out of my short 12" barrel.
Kiwi Greg

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:25 am

:geek: good stuff! :ugeek:
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Return to The Trophy Wall