Big hog with a bow

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Big hog with a bow

Postby wildcatter » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:36 pm

scrmblr1982cj8 wrote:This girl is at the top of my hit list!

Wow!

Y'all better shoot her quick before she drops them piglets..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:31 pm

wildcatter wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:The big Russian piggies may not be as tasty, but that feral 500# Durock boar that my buddy killed several years ago was yummy. Dang critter looked like a rusted out VW Bug abandoned in a field when he first saw it. He shot it in the ear with a 22LR rifle. I don't know that I would have had the castanets to try that.

Ok Dawg, You're the Man with a pig-bomb problem. So your 500# Boar was good to go. I'm wondering if they rut like deer, moose etc. I have shot rutting deer&Moose, wherein you couldn't eat them either. Way Too Muskie. So, if they do rut then, maybe, there is a time wherein you can harvest the monsters without that Muskie scent, that turns, even the dogs off, as Texrider has described. Hey, I don't know, I'm just hypothesizing and looking for Further Light and Knowledge??

..t

The Durocks are typically pen raised domestic pigs. This one had no marks or tags so it must have been some random escapee from someone's farm from years past. As for odor, yeah he was smelly but I guess we just got lucky. I've never heard if boars have a " rutting season". I just assumed they were always looking for love. LOL
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:10 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
wildcatter wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:The big Russian piggies may not be as tasty, but that feral 500# Durock boar that my buddy killed several years ago was yummy. Dang critter looked like a rusted out VW Bug abandoned in a field when he first saw it. He shot it in the ear with a 22LR rifle. I don't know that I would have had the castanets to try that.

Ok Dawg, You're the Man with a pig-bomb problem. So your 500# Boar was good to go. I'm wondering if they rut like deer, moose etc. I have shot rutting deer&Moose, wherein you couldn't eat them either. Way Too Muskie. So, if they do rut then, maybe, there is a time wherein you can harvest the monsters without that Muskie scent, that turns, even the dogs off, as Texrider has described. Hey, I don't know, I'm just hypothesizing and looking for Further Light and Knowledge??

..t

The Durocks are typically pen raised domestic pigs. This one had no marks or tags so it must have been some random escapee from someone's farm from years past. As for odor, yeah he was smelly but I guess we just got lucky. I've never heard if boars have a " rutting season". I just assumed they were always looking for love. LOL

Hey! are We talking about you or??

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby scrmblr1982cj8 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:42 pm

Hogs do not have a specific mating season. Sows can have (I think) 3 litters a year, with over a dozen piglets per litter. I have trail cam photos of fields with 40+ hogs. Darn things breed faster than rabbits!

I'm waiting on the depradation permit to come through before I can hunt the big sow at night. I'll post photos if I can get her.
scrmblr1982cj8

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:12 pm

WC, that's not a topic you guys want to hear about.
I'm once bitten, twice shy. I'm jaded.
Single.
And it's gonna stay that way.
She said..."Men are all the same."
I was the one who spoke up and said
"Who told you to try them all?"
My life is now quiet.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Previous