Big hog with a bow

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Big hog with a bow

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:57 pm

Be sure to wear your Ebola suit if you end up behind WC... Bodily fluids will be splashing.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby scrmblr1982cj8 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:28 pm

wildcatter wrote:Wow!!! 495lbs makes the case for the 450b. what would have happened if it'd have charged? Day ain't many double barreled bows around and if the Back-Up Guy had a bolt or lever gun, with a charge starting at say 50yds They'd get one chance to end the ordeal and if they blow that shot and they often will (see the bullets from Professional hunters fall way behind the animal and even the Back-Up Shooters, for the Back-Up Shooters can't hit the animal at mere feet away.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmcXuTBO0oo).. Well it's good-By-Nick!!

I gotta question for you pig experts. Knowing the Farm Raised Pigs are butchered at about 225lbs, any heavier and the weight goes into Diminished Returns.

I also know that most of the really big pigs become ground fertilizer.

Question, does anybody eat these monster pigs? Seems to me,you might. I don't care, if the weight to feed ratio is out of whack. Can I eat the monsters? Or is it a challenge in the Kitchen?

But, in any event I'm proud to know you are truly an expert with a bow. Man, I'd through my gun down and run squealing like a girl, at the sight of your Piggy!!

..t

The smaller the hog, the better the meat. Sows are generally good to eat, but we avoid earing large boars. The boar meet is too tough and can have a funny taste. We drag the boars off for the buzzards or leave them where they drop. A family friend owns a fox and coyote pen, and they won't go near a large hog carcass.
scrmblr1982cj8

Postby wildcatter » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:18 pm

scrmblr1982cj8 wrote:
wildcatter wrote:Wow!!! 495lbs makes the case for the 450b. what would have happened if it'd have charged? Day ain't many double barreled bows around and if the Back-Up Guy had a bolt or lever gun, with a charge starting at say 50yds They'd get one chance to end the ordeal and if they blow that shot and they often will (see the bullets from Professional hunters fall way behind the animal and even the Back-Up Shooters, for the Back-Up Shooters can't hit the animal at mere feet away.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmcXuTBO0oo).. Well it's good-By-Nick!!

I gotta question for you pig experts. Knowing the Farm Raised Pigs are butchered at about 225lbs, any heavier and the weight goes into Diminished Returns.

I also know that most of the really big pigs become ground fertilizer.

Question, does anybody eat these monster pigs? Seems to me,you might. I don't care, if the weight to feed ratio is out of whack. Can I eat the monsters? Or is it a challenge in the Kitchen?

But, in any event I'm proud to know you are truly an expert with a bow. Man, I'd through my gun down and run squealing like a girl, at the sight of your Piggy!!

..t

The smaller the hog, the better the meat. Sows are generally good to eat, but we avoid earing large boars. The boar meet is too tough and can have a funny taste. We drag the boars off for the buzzards or leave them where they drop. A family friend owns a fox and coyote pen, and they won't go near a large hog carcass.

Well, that's what I wanted to know and it pretty much sums up what I was thinking the problem was. Is there anything I can do, like removing any scent glans, grinding the whole thing up into Breakfast sauage, etc??

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby texrider » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:55 pm

The bigger the boar, the more aroma they have in my experiences. I've read about cutting off the ears or the nuts as soon as possible, but to me it seemed like just the whole thing smelled. Also read where some let it sit on ice for a couple of days or so to let the melt kind of wash the meat. Could probably put it in a brine or something similar if a big boar was all you could get to help with flavor. Never tried a boar, so not much help, but the sows don't have near the smell.
texrider

Postby wildcatter » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:11 pm

texrider wrote:The bigger the boar, the more aroma they have in my experiences. I've read about cutting off the ears or the nuts as soon as possible, but to me it seemed like just the whole thing smelled. Also read where some let it sit on ice for a couple of days or so to let the melt kind of wash the meat. Could probably put it in a brine or something similar if a big boar was all you could get to help with flavor. Never tried a boar, so not much help, but the sows don't have near the smell.

Oh-Tay.. I know 250lbs piggies are good to go, we eat them all the time. 250lbs is the target weight for farm raised piggies. But let's harvest a 400lbs sow, other than the weight is well into Diminished-Returns for marketability, my question, is that over the weight limit for eating a sow hog?

I shot a pig just outside of my Range Lab (an extremely rare event, in MI), several years ago, but we really do-not have a pig problem here, yet. So, I'm relying on the real experts to clue me in..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:34 pm

The big Russian piggies may not be as tasty, but that feral 500# Durock boar that my buddy killed several years ago was yummy. Dang critter looked like a rusted out VW Bug abandoned in a field when he first saw it. He shot it in the ear with a 22LR rifle. I don't know that I would have had the castanets to try that.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby texrider » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:07 pm

Oh sorry, was sharing my experience so far which hasn't been much since this is my first year hunting them. I asked a similar question to a man that cooks a lot of pig before I started and got almost the same answer scrmblr gave. He told me boars up to 100-150lbs (best before they mature)and sows to 250-300lbs. I would think sausage wouldn't matter as much tho.
Guess I should've given that answer to begin with.
texrider

Postby wildcatter » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:26 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:The big Russian piggies may not be as tasty, but that feral 500# Durock boar that my buddy killed several years ago was yummy. Dang critter looked like a rusted out VW Bug abandoned in a field when he first saw it. He shot it in the ear with a 22LR rifle. I don't know that I would have had the castanets to try that.

Ok Dawg, You're the Man with a pig-bomb problem. So your 500# Boar was good to go. I'm wondering if they rut like deer, moose etc. I have shot rutting deer&Moose, wherein you couldn't eat them either. Way Too Muskie. So, if they do rut then, maybe, there is a time wherein you can harvest the monsters without that Muskie scent, that turns, even the dogs off, as Texrider has described. Hey, I don't know, I'm just hypothesizing and looking for Further Light and Knowledge??

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:29 pm

WC...the new issue of Petersen's Hog Hunting (Winter 2014) just happens to address the boar hog problem from an experienced piggy processor: "...an exception to the rule is an adult boar. Male pigs stink, there's no way around it. It's a testosterone thing. Farmers call it "boar taint," and it can even affect smallish boars of about 100 pounds. A hunting partner of mine once shot a 300-pound boar in Central California that had us practically gagging when we broke it down. He smelled like the Raider's locker room at halftime."

Doesn't sound to appetizing!
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby scrmblr1982cj8 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:06 am

This girl is at the top of my hit list!
Attachments
cdy00063a.jpg
cdy00063a.jpg (79.84 KiB) Viewed 15539 times