1st time killer with thumper!

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

1st time killer with thumper!

Postby greenbeast95 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:21 pm

I was finally able to kill something besides paper with thumper. This forum has been a great source of information from building my thumper to reloading for it! Next time I will avoid the shoulder area and hopefully save some meat!
450 deer.jpg
450 deer.jpg (29.79 KiB) Viewed 13553 times
greenbeast95

Re: 1st time killer with thumper!

Postby Hoot » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:48 pm

That's got to be the biggest damage area report on a white tail I recall ever seeing on this forum. :shock: I assume that's the exit wound on a shoulder to shoulder through and through? Congrats all the same. Getting to where you can take a shot in the first place is the hardest part. What load did you use? I also assume that was a stop, drop and thrash shot?

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby greenbeast95 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:26 pm

Hoot wrote:That's got to be the biggest damage area report on a white tail I recall ever seeing on this forum. :shock: I assume that's the exit wound on a shoulder to shoulder through and through? Congrats all the same. Getting to where you can take a shot in the first place is the hardest part. What load did you use? I also assume that was a stop, drop and thrash shot?

Hoot

You are correct it was shoulder to shoulder through and through and yes drop and thrash was it. The load was a 225 grain Hornady FTX over 37.5 grains of lil' gun
greenbeast95

Postby Siringo » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:21 pm

Sure looks like that 45 colt bullet blew up like a grenade!!!!!
Siringo

Postby Hoot » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:17 am

Two shoulder bones will make any bullet into a hand grenade. :lol:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Siringo » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:39 am

Hoot wrote:Two shoulder bones will make any bullet into a hand grenade. :lol:

Hoot

NOT! :roll:
Siringo

Postby wildcatter » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:09 pm

greenbeast95 wrote:
Hoot wrote:That's got to be the biggest damage area report on a white tail I recall ever seeing on this forum. :shock: I assume that's the exit wound on a shoulder to shoulder through and through? Congrats all the same. Getting to where you can take a shot in the first place is the hardest part. What load did you use? I also assume that was a stop, drop and thrash shot?

Hoot

You are correct it was shoulder to shoulder through and through and yes drop and thrash was it. The load was a 225 grain Hornady FTX over 37.5 grains of lil' gun

Just goes to show ya..

This bullet was designed for the 45 Colt at 960fps, meaning it over expanded, in the 450b. But! Who Cares! This is such a forgiving cartridge you can pick any bullet, any bullet at all, and still be assured you'll bring home the bacon!!

Congrats!!

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby glock23c » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:50 pm

Lots of thumper bucks this year. Congrats.
glock23c

Return to The Trophy Wall