The "Thumper" rocks a couple nice ones

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

The "Thumper" rocks a couple nice ones

Postby dec » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:04 pm

I'm not much of a gun hunter admittedly. I love my bow hunting. I got looking back and I have not hunted with a slug gun in over 15 years. Some muzzleloader from time to time, but I have been pretty much a bow only hunter for a long time. For some reason though last winter I got the urge to build a "Thumper". I'm an AR junkie and the 450 Bushmaster was intriguing to me.

Fast forward to Sunday morning. I have a good friend (Steve) from Ohio who comes over to hunt every year. In recent years it has been more about his boys than him. But Sunday morning, his son encouraged Steve to go hunt alone. I talked him into taking my Thumper. I told him where to go and what the deer would likely do. Sure enough an hour into the morning out steps a beautiful 9 pointer right where I said it would. Steve made the easy 40 yard shot and 20 yards later the buck fell on his face. I was guiding his son and we didn't have much luck, but he could not have been happier for Dad.

Steve and his 9 pointer with my Thumper.

For some silly reason last summer I put in for Pokagon State Park here in Indiana. It is a draw only hunt where you can shoot up to 3 deer, one being an antlered buck. I totally forgot about it actually until talking to a friend who always hunts there. He did not get drawn for the first time in many years. Turns out ... I did ... LOL. I had no clue where to go and almost didn't go. He talked me into it and even gave me his GPS to hunt the spot that he always goes to. So last week I went in and locked my climber to the tree that he recommended. I got to the park crazy early and beat everyone in the gate. At about 7:45 this morning I saw a real nice 8 pointer who had somehow dodged the sea of orange (I could see 5 other guys in orange from my location). At 60 yards I stopped him and let the Thumper bark. 20 yards later the buck was on his face. About a half an hour after I shot him I had a small doe come in and actually sniffed my buck. As she lifted her head from sniffing him I let the Thumper eat again. She went 15 yards. Pretty small doe but it is a reduction hunt and that is the goal. They were the only deer that I saw this morning. An awesome morning to be in the woods with the snow falling. I have to admit, it was kind of fun to let the big gun roar too.

My Pokagon buck and doe.

Derek Craig
dec

Re: The "Thumper" rocks a couple nice ones

Postby Ghost Dog » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:12 pm

Nice!!!!!!
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:16 pm

wow, good job!!!
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:57 pm

Congrats to both of you! Image

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Spike1 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:34 pm

Very nice. Wish our Texas deer had that body size. At least at my ranch in May TX. :lol:
Spike1

Postby kottke_35 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:30 pm

Congrats and very nice! Loving the pics this year.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby wildcatter » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:58 pm

And, another three bites the Dust!!

Good Go 'ol-Man!!

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Siringo » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:13 am

Very, Very nice! I'm jealous ---- out of 15 guys in our camp, no one saw a deer. Anyone for WOLF patties!
Siringo

Postby glock23c » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:39 pm

Congrats on the successful hunts.
glock23c

Postby texrider » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:02 pm

Lots of nice Thumper deer. Nice job!
texrider

Next

Return to The Trophy Wall