Hndy 240XTP Mags---Hog Kills??????

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

Hndy 240XTP Mags---Hog Kills??????

Postby 450b-recluse » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:55 pm

I use this bullet for sight-ins and plinking because they are so AFFORDABLE, but have always hesitated to use them for hog hunting for lack of confidence.
Has anyone tried them on any game as tough as our Florida porkers?
I use Hndy 250 FTX and TC 250 Shockwaves for pig hunting, but have always wondered about the XTP Mags.
I wouldn't hesitate to use them on Florida whitetails, but the problem is the chance of coming across hogs while going in or out of a hunting spot is 50/50, and like the comfort afforded by the latter two bullets.
Any real time success stories would be greatly appreciated.
Personally, I think the 450 shoul be the caliber of choice for hunting in Florida. But there are NO hunters to learn from here in my neck of the woods.
450b-recluse

Re: Hndy 240XTP Mags---Hog Kills??????

Postby wildcatter » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:54 am

I've had wonderful stories related to me, with folks using the "MAGS" (SKU: 45220) on BIG Piggies.

The Mags expand at higher Velocities, as is seen in the 450b.

With the standard bullet or the non-MAG variety, and the 240 can only be gotten in the "MAG" they can over expand at our velocities, these are meant to expand at 45Colt speeds.

Meaning, if you have a choice and you want optimum performance, choose the "MAG" version of any given Hornady Bullet. Of course if explosive expansion is the mission then choose the standard bullet..

..t

This is the example of which I speak of, check out the 300gr Mag Vs non-MAG at the bottom of the displayed page..t

http://www.hornady.com/store/.452-45-CAL
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby texrider » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:32 pm

Link just shows Hornady bullets when looked at. I would like to see that example if you have a different one, or am I just looking at the wrong thing? Thanks.

wildcatter wrote:
This is the example of which I speak of, check out the 300gr Mag Vs non-MAG at the bottom of the displayed page..t

texrider

Postby wildcatter » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:00 pm

texrider wrote:Link just shows Hornady bullets when looked at. I would like to see that example if you have a different one, or am I just looking at the wrong thing? Thanks.

wildcatter wrote:

The jist of the dissertation was that there was a difference in performance from the standard and the "MAGS". On that web URL if you go to the bottom of the page and the 300 grainers, you'll see them called out..

hope that helps..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:31 am

I've used that 240 XTP mag in my ML's running north of 2500fps on deer with no problems. Have recovered a couple on frontal shots, picture book perfect expansion.

I wouldn't hesitate to run them into a hog.
Al in Mi

Postby 450b-recluse » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:12 am

Thanks for the info, guys. Got another box comin.
450b-recluse

Postby pwoller » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:24 pm

Worked fine for me on hogs. Didn't even take another step.
pwoller

Postby Chris P Bacon » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:32 pm

Pics are always welcomed?
Chris P Bacon

Return to The Trophy Wall