Deer # 2 & 3 Taken with Thumper

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

Deer # 2 & 3 Taken with Thumper

Postby nickdeannow » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:22 am

This year has been pretty slow on my Indiana farm, but I did take a couple does with the thumper. (The fam has gotta eat and my kids are convinced that without venison, tacos, sloppy joes, and spaghetti would not be possible.)
The bright side of this season for me was that my rifle performed as well when it counted as it did when I was showing off at the range.
This year, based on this forum's data (yes data... I'm an engineer and anecdotal crap don't cut it...You guys ROCK) I switched to Barnes 200 grain XPBs, pushed by 40 grains of Lil'Gun.
My first doe was broadside at 120 yds. After the shot I heard the bullet ricochet into the distance and the deer ran off. I thought I missed for sure. I watched the deer run off in my binoculars about 150 yds before it slowed to a drunken swagger and fell. (No bang flop...Again) Turns out I hit it exactly where I wanted to and the shot happened so fast I didn't even have time to dial up my Nikon Buckmaster from it's lowest setting of 4.5x.
My second doe this year was shot a few nights ago. I had two very small doe feeding in the corn stubble a ways out from my stand about 15 yds inside my woods. This particular stand I was in is great, but it is in the far back part of my property and a hell of a long way to drag a deer to the truck when hunting by yourself... After watching the deer for a while and realizing it would be light load to drag back, I spent some time debating if I should try a head shot. I was confident there were no 'bumps' on it's head and I ranged the closest doe at 113 yds. I stood on the top step of my ladder stand so I could rest my thumper at the right level on my shooting rest. I was very steady and when she put her head up to look around I squeezed off a round aimed just behind her right eye. That's exactly where it hit! She disappeared. Bullet entered behind the right eye and exited in front of the left. Finally a bang-flop! (I know...I cheated)
image.jpg
Headshot
image.jpg (119.86 KiB) Viewed 16300 times

I feel weird writing about shooting does, but everyone on this forum seems really interested in wound photos. Given how much I've taken from this forum that is a little bit I could give back.
I can't ever seem to be able to post pictures from my phone on here so the Sheepdawg said he would add them for me. So coming soon is all the entrance/exit wounds from the XPB.
While this was a very disappointing gun season for me, the rifle made my year. It is so rewarding to work with a cartridge all summer and then have it perform for you in the field.
image.jpg
Ribs1
image.jpg (179.87 KiB) Viewed 16300 times

image.jpg
Ribs 2
image.jpg (132.64 KiB) Viewed 16300 times

image.jpg
Side1
image.jpg (138.82 KiB) Viewed 16300 times

image.jpg
Side2
image.jpg (121.4 KiB) Viewed 16300 times
nickdeannow

Re: Deer # 2 & 3 Taken with Thumper

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:33 am

Done
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby nickdeannow » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:42 am

Thanks Dawg. Now no more hounding required. ;)
nickdeannow

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:39 am

I'd call it a very good season, meats meat.

That's for the report and pics!!!
Al in Mi

Postby LegendInMyOwnMind » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:16 pm

Shot at 80 yds and dropped in its tracks.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (22.44 KiB) Viewed 16237 times
LegendInMyOwnMind

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:10 pm

That's a NICE buck. Congrats.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:25 am

LegendInMyOwnMind wrote:Shot at 80 yds and dropped in its tracks.

Nice!!!! I defiantly need to get out of the thumb.
Al in Mi

Postby LegendInMyOwnMind » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:58 am

Al in Mi wrote:
LegendInMyOwnMind wrote:Shot at 80 yds and dropped in its tracks.

Nice!!!! I defiantly need to get out of the thumb.

It was taken in Van Buren County. There's a bigger one still out there! Gonna have to use the smoke pole!
LegendInMyOwnMind

Return to The Trophy Wall