California Pig Hunt

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

California Pig Hunt

Postby Caseknife » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:30 pm

I am headed to northern Cal, Red Bluff area, at the end of March and was thinking about taking my 450. What are the limitations regarding the law? Do I need to use the factory 5rd mag, or is it even legal to hunt in Cal with an AR? Thanks in advance, Tom.
If guns kill people, then...
Pencils miss spel words
Cars make people drive drunk
Spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat
Caseknife

Re: California Pig Hunt

Postby wildcatter » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:07 am

Caseknife wrote:I am headed to northern Cal, Red Bluff area, at the end of March and was thinking about taking my 450. What are the limitations regarding the law? Do I need to use the factory 5rd mag, or is it even legal to hunt in Cal with an AR? Thanks in advance, Tom.

Hi-Ya, CaseKnife...FYI, I've carried a knife on my belt for well more than 40 years. My First was a Case-Knife..t

But for limitations you're going to have to read the rules in the rule book you get when you buy your license. Or give your fish and game a call. Do a web search to find their number. I'd really doubt that they restrict the 450b, as they need those piggies dead!!

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Jim in Houston » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:27 am

I beleive that any semi automatic firearm with detachable magazine is illegal in California. AR platform firearms sold in California are equiped with a magazine release the requires a tool to release the magazine, the so called bullet button. There are other restrictions as well, in that I also believe that there is a list of prohibitied firearms that you should consult. Any firearm with bushmaster in its name is going to draw attention.

I suggest contacting the California State Rifle and Pistol Association, http://www.crpa.org/ or perusing the California AG's website. I would give a link, but everyone I tried was spectacularly uninformative.

Here is a summary from Wikipeida that may be applicable to your firearm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_California):

. . . the following firearms are banned by characteristic (from Penal Code §12276.1):

(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Caseknife » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:05 pm

Thanks, guys for the input. Just got off the line with the Cali fish and game office, she said that it had to have a detachable magazine that held a max of 10 rounds and that the bullet had to be expanding. I'll do a little more research before I head down with one gun that may be illegal in CA.
Pencils miss spel words
Caseknife

Postby bps » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:10 pm

Check out http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php and their flowcharts in the header.

It should state exactly what you need.

Lots of other good info there too.
bps

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:06 pm

Caseknife wrote:Thanks, guys for the input. Just got off the line with the Cali fish and game office, she said that it had to have a detachable magazine that held a max of 10 rounds and that the bullet had to be expanding. I'll do a little more research before I head down with one gun that may be illegal in CA.

NONDETACHABLE magazine, unless you have a so called featureless rifle.
no pistol grip, no flash hider.
Just get a bullet button for $10 on ebay. and install it before you come into the state.
I have the Raddlocks on all my AR's, you can easily switch back to standard configuration when you leave the state

I havent read anything about legally requiring a projectile to be expanding, , but that is what we generally would use anyhow legal issues aside
CA: Exorcising my rights
3rdgeargrndrr

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:13 pm

CA: Exorcising my rights
3rdgeargrndrr

Postby Caseknife » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:27 am

Thanks for all the input, guys. Did go to Calguns.net and registered and asked the same question. I am screwed because of the Bushmaster XM-15 lower. I could put it on my R-15 lower and install a BB mag release, but now I am a bit gun-shy about California laws and think that I will just take one of my numerous bolt rifles like I did before. BTW, WC, my name is the drainage where I have been hunting elk for the last 30 years, and I'm sure it got its name from a lost/found knife.
Pencils miss spel words
Caseknife

Postby BillytheKid » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:30 pm

The Bushmaster brand lower receiver is specifically banned in California.
The legal work around is to use an 'off list' lower receiver with your Bushmaster upper.
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Caseknife » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:39 am

Just ordered a BB from Midway, might swap my 450 upper to my R-15 lower, install the BB and go for it, but might not.
Pencils miss spel words
Caseknife

Next

Return to The Trophy Wall