450 Bushmaster - First Blood, not at all like expected - Mon

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

450 Bushmaster - First Blood, not at all like expected - Mon

Postby Pig_Popper » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:53 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjK_oMQOdK4

I recently put this build together and got it functioning well, put a Sightmark PhotonXT (6.5x) on top and hit the range on our lease.

Ahead of the hunt I spent about 4 hours shooting various guns and zeroing the Bushmaster, I believe I stopped shooting at about 510pm and this guy came to the feeder right about 630pm. My scent was all over the place as I was placing targets and not really counting on setting in the blind for too long.

Well before getting ready to wrap it up and head to the field I spy this hog, I quickly flicked on the recorder and got into a shooting position. Ordinarily I watch the animal for a short duration before taking the shot but with my scent being heavy in the area and the hog being on the outside of the pen I convinced myself to shoot - SHOOT NOW.

Oh what a goof for the first blood on this rifle.

I watched as the hog took the shot and ran away and just sort of shook my head in silence.

Big Bore - THUMPER - you know the drill right - 250 grains of gilding metal flying through the air is going to knock them off their feet. Body parts will not stand a chance of remaining intact...

Well - a follow up shot was made it didn't connect and I didn't see any other hogs the remainder of the night so the next morning I thawed out (heater didn't work for me in camp) and took to the trail. Looked good, heck even I was able to find the body.

He ran through some trails and zig zagged and came to rest about 50 yards away.

I did a brief necropsy, I avoided the organs as I poked around so unsure on lungs / heart condition.

You'll see in the video that the recovered bullet is picture perfect - but I'm still baffled by his ability to run and not at least be blown over by the impact.

Don't get me wrong I'm happy to have recovered the hog after placing such a poor shot but I will be monitoring future hog reactions to this bullet (handload) and update here as I can (if the recorder and hunter cooperate).
I Smell Bacon
Pig_Popper

Re: 450 Bushmaster - First Blood, not at all like expected -

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:17 am

nice way to break in a new gun!!!

I wonder if all montholic bullets show little damage like that because when I was using Barnes in my other rifles I seen the same thing.
Al in Mi

Postby AR Sarge » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:51 am

Congrats on your first kill with the new build!

I wouldn't worry too much about it running a bit. I think the bullet did well. It expanded and penetrated as designed. And there is little chance of a bullet having enough oomph to knock a critter that size off its feet.

I shoot deer with a 12 ga slug and they often run 50 yards or so, even with the lung/heart turned into jelly. I would have liked to see the condition of the innerds on the hog.
AR Sarge

Postby Pig_Popper » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:40 pm

I'll get you innerds on the next one !
I Smell Bacon
Pig_Popper

Postby AR Sarge » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:42 pm

Pig_Popper wrote:I'll get you innerds on the next one !

Look at it as a reason to have to go back out hunting!
AR Sarge

Postby Bmt85 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:35 pm

Doesn't look like it did too bad of job. Good blood trail and dropped in 50yds. Shot didn't look optimal, but still worked. I'm kind of surprised the bullet didn't pass through though.

I'm with AR Sarge, even with 12ga slugs deer can run. This past hunting season a family friend shot a deer at about 30yds, with a 12ga using, I believe, Win xp3. Shot was a little high, but still worked. Deer took off running. About 60sec later it showed up on the other side of my buddy, again about 30yds away. Deer was acting like nothing happen. Buddy plugged him again right in the lungs, and the deer took off again. Only got about 10yds before piling up, but still.
Bmt85

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:25 pm

How you liking that Photon, Sir?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby earlwb » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:22 pm

Sometimes weird stuff just happens. The hog probably got the adrenaline going and didn't know it had died already.
earlwb

Return to The Trophy Wall