filled my doe tag

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

filled my doe tag

Postby Robert FL » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:39 pm

I have been holding on to a doe tag all gun season. This afternoon was my last chance to deer hunt till September. I have been covered up with does and young bucks all year, I took a 6 point and a doe opening weekend of Archery season. I have been hunting for a big buck but never got a good chance at one this year. This doe will provide a bunch of awesome meat for our table. I am giving the hide to one of my wife's friends to tan. The doe came in down wind behind me, she stomped around for a few minutes either at me or the 5 point buck feeding in front of me. She finally made her way to my left right at last shooting light, when she turned her head to her left I was able to make the shot. I was surprised when she took off, I thought she would have dropped at the shot, I heard her crash 3 seconds after the shot. I took out both heart and lungs with the 250 grain FTX bullet.
Attachments
jandoe.jpg
jandoe.jpg (56.92 KiB) Viewed 10614 times
Robert FL

Re: filled my doe tag

Postby Robert FL » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:40 pm

this is the heart, it was pretty much shot in half, lungs were also a mess.
Attachments
deerheart.jpg
deerheart.jpg (46.54 KiB) Viewed 10613 times
Robert FL

Postby Robert FL » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:43 pm

exit hole, the 250 FTX did a lot of damage. Maybe too much?
Attachments
exitholedeer.jpg
exitholedeer.jpg (46.51 KiB) Viewed 10613 times
Robert FL

Postby teddy_d » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:51 pm

Again nice job.

I've learned to be patient so as to make shots with the 450 that will do the least amount of damage to the edible meat...
I now wait for upper neck shots, I agree most hunters are unable to be this accurate. When in doubt make the most ethical shot possible for your abilities. The 450 is certainly accurate enough...
teddy_d

Return to The Trophy Wall