Wildcatter's Teens' Hogs - Jan 2011

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

Wildcatter's Teens' Hogs - Jan 2011

Postby pitted bore » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:22 pm

wildcatter on Hogzilla thread in Jan 2011 wrote: Can somebody take my post and put it over in the Trophy-Room, before the Mudder, wacks me uppa-cider-da head??..t

T- Here you are. Piggy pix are shrunk to standard 640 pixel width.
For Windows users, I think the scroll bars for the attachments will disappear if you left-click on the images.
--Bob

wildcatter on Hogzilla thread Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:48 pm wrote:
OK, got the permission to show ya all. Here is a Barnes Bullet Hunt, in Northern Utah, late this last November. I didn't quite get who the kids are, but they a High School Teens. Barnes wanted to show how safe we are with a reliable Semi-Auto, using a 45cal 325gr Barnes Buster, on dangerous animals. If the Animal charged, they could put follow-up shots on the critter, where-in you'd need help from other shooters, if a Bolt action or Lever gun was used and the animal started out at 50yds or less.

The First Pig is a 450lb behemoth. The second is a 600++ pounder. Keep in mind these are one-shot-drop'em-where-they-stand, kills. The Famous Armor Plates, protecting both shoulders, were completely penetrated, lungs, hearts, were totally smashed to smithereens and the bullets were never found, they may still be flying.

The firearm displayed, by the kids, is my personal weapon. I also sent them 2100fps loads for the 450b/325gr Barnes Busters. This is a serious testament guys, hogs of this size are almost impossible to kill quickly and often Mame the shooter or worst and are possibly the toughest thing we've got in North America. Animals of this size and disposition (And I understand they got an 800 pounder to boot) laugh at 308's and 300 Magnums, don't even think about a 7mm mag. I wouldn't go after one these monsters with anything less than a 338WM and then wonder if I've got a back-up shooter, but let's face it guys, .."when the shots are marginal, and they always seem so, you'd better have enough gun"!!! Make mine a 450 Bushmaster, PERIOD, no explanations and no excuses. ..t
Attachments
wc1.JPG
wc1.JPG (76.27 KiB) Viewed 46096 times
wc2.JPG
wc2.JPG (78.63 KiB) Viewed 46096 times
pitted bore

Re: Wildcatter's Teens' Hogs - Jan 2011

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:40 pm

Whoa! That's amazing! Now I know I made a good decision
To buy a 450 Bushmaster!
And the cool thing is these hogs were taken by the same setup
That I have! A 20" upper and a Nikko Stirling scope!! Thanx for the
Pictures! Hope you get to post the 800 pounder!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:30 am

Good Lord! Seeing one of those bearing down on you would pucker your poop shoot. Definitely an argument for the horsepower and reliability of a 450b. Even then, I'd want a partner similarly equipped at my side. One of my dreams is to some day go on an affordable hog hunt in one of those no holds barred nuisance zones. With our daughter set to start college next year, affordable takes on a whole new dimension. I suspect my days of a new caliber project a year are about to draw to a close. If it wasn't for the devastating toll they take on the habitat of other species, I'd almost wish they ranged as far north as where I live.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:15 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Whoa! That's amazing! Now I know I made a good decision
To buy a 450 Bushmaster!
And the cool thing is these hogs were taken by the same setup
That I have! A 20" upper and a Nikko Stirling scope!! Thanx for the
Pictures! ""Hope you get to post the 800 pounder!"" Are you Kidding me!! Even the picture of a dead 800 pounder and the thought of what it could do, if enraged, would prolly cause me shakes!!! Those are some trusting kids and parents, or is it that they have the right tools at the right time? ..t

Just to throw out a little 450 envy.. At this years SHOT, Barnes offered to take me on one of their Monster Pig Hunts!

But, what I really think is that Texas has the largest concentration of pigs in North America. More wild pigs there than the combined populations of the rest of the U.S.

Now, last years Muzzle Brake Season, was Hosted by GunNut and Bushmeister, in southern Georgia and we had a "Blast". Do we know anyone in Texas that could find us a camping spot in the middle of Pig-City, TX and host the 2nd annual Brake Season??? TEX???

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:10 pm

I'm trying.... There's a lot of places down here but
not sure who I should call on. Part of me wants to
call Parks and Wildlife Also, you might could go for
The Big and nasty Russian Boars at Clark Range Crossville, TN.
Oops.... Scratch Clark Range. They only do archery or
muzzle loaders... At least that's what they used to require.
Last edited by Texas Sheepdawg on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby BayouBob » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:45 am

Boar hogs have made it all the way to Northern Utah? Next thing you know they'll be in New Yawk City. Do you think if the hogs take over Central Park the shrimp will legalize carrying Thumper in town?
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby wildcatter » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:35 am

BayouBob wrote:Boar hogs have made it all the way to Northern Utah? Next thing you know they'll be in New Yawk City. Do you think if the hogs take over Central Park the shrimp will legalize carrying Thumper in town?

LOL!!! That's our Bad-Bob, lol..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BayouBob » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:54 am

Glad the folks at my favorite bullet company are once again proving that Thumper is the best hog stomper out there! Hope they will think about making their 275 gr. XPB in a .452 for a Thumper load.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:49 pm

Okay, guys. Been doing some emailing and searching and talking to
folks and finding hog hunts in TX is not a problem if you can afford
About $150-275 a day. Also, I found a good hog ranch over in Archer
County about two hours from my homestead to hunt reasonable
And they even have lodging for 25 a night.
Also, I found a range about three miles from the house but have yet to drive over there and look at it. (Mainly because
I have a 150yd range in my own back yard, and it's been so iced over
This past week that I have been lucky just to make it in to work
Only two days this week. It all melted today Praise the Good Lord!
Now, look WC, I didn't mean to blow up your cell phone with my cell phone.
I thought Everyone had an IPhone by now!! LOL!! But seriously, I sent you the
Info on those hog hunts not thinking... Sorry! Yeah....I know.....
I'm a bad sheepdawg!! BAD DOG!!
Oh well. I will be sulking in the dog house if anyone needs me.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby commander faschisto » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:57 pm

Very cool! Newbie to the .450b here...I bought mine relatively recently, mainly based on all the accounts I'd heard and read of people standing slack-jawed looking at what their .450 had just done to something. I hope to have that same reaction myself, soon. I've never really heard/read of the kind of reactions the .450b has gotten vis-a-vis any other caliber. Very strange, indeed, but in a good way.

I really see this as my primary piggy popper for the forseeable future. I've used a Marlin 1884S .44 Mag with 320gr HCGC's (good, but I'm also carrying a Ruger wheel gun with the same, just to be safe), also my Mossy 590A1 with Brenneke Black Magics (very good also), but I'm currently straining at the bit to try the new .450b 20" to see it at work.

BTW the Texas hog brigade has marched up here to Far North Texas (ie. Oklahoma), and the piggy population is starting to build up around here, too. I'll let you know what happens.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Next

Return to The Trophy Wall