2009 Hunting Pictures

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

2009 Hunting Pictures

Postby Siringo » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:44 pm

Got a nice 6 pointer 8:45 AM opening morning in northern MN (7th of Nov.). Used 300 gr. Nosler HG Partition. Image
Siringo

Re: 2009 Hunting Pictures

Postby wildcatter » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:53 pm

WAY-TO-GO AND CONGRATS!!!

Now, details and don't leave off any of the Sordid stuff either, you know, like how long the deer was licking you before you woke up, that kind of stuff. Oh, and the terminal ballistics stuff too..wink..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Siringo » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:03 pm

Well, first of all, I hunt an area of about 5 square miles of dense forest, some of which has been clear cut a few years ago. I had put up a stand just off our road (the club I belong to), because there are always tracks in our tracks at the end of the day. I had cut a shooting lane in some of the new growth also (first time I did that). I heard the beast coming (with my new $7,500 hearing aides) and saw him appear in the lane. While I have to admit that the 6 points actually looked like 12 -- but -----.

I used 31.0 grs of LG and the 300 gr. nosler. Speed is about 1800 fps out of my 16". Shot was 75 yards and I hit high on the front shoulder. I did that intentionally because I had developed a bad habit of shooting to low and to the rear of the chest cavity. Usually in the area of the diaphram. In shooting higher, I was not confident in my shot since the beast took off, wheeling around. I place a second shot for the spine area and broke his back. Both bullets went clean thru, minimal meat damage. Upon gutting, both lungs where shot and windpipe was severed. Not much else. At least I didn't have to drag it for a mile.
Siringo

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:10 pm

:) congrats... i'm gonna be in the woods for 9days starting this saturday. gotta use the 45-70Image this weekend & next week :? but next weekend the 450bImage is gonna be blazin' :mrgreen:
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby MudBug » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:46 pm

Cool stuff.

I have a cow elk hunt starting 12/4 that I hope to use my 450b on. I say hope because this is a very late season so the critters are gonna be skittish. If I can't get close enough for the 450b I may end up using my 270 WSM or my brand new 300 Win Mag.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby talonxracer » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:10 am

Nice deer!

I have been out to my stand a few times this fall and have seen plenty of sign. Luckily just like last year the bow hunters have really not come up to camp so the deer are not all spooked and running around with arrow wounds. Those damn flatlanders will fling arrows at anything and everything regardless of the fact that they know it isnt and cant be a kill shot. This Saturday is opening morning.

Also a sidenote,,,now that the country has gone to digital TV, I can receive 24 stations from my mtn top deer stand.......
talonxracer

Postby wildcatter » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:45 pm

talonxracer wrote:Nice deer!

I have been out to my stand a few times this fall and have seen plenty of sign. Luckily just like last year the bow hunters have really not come up to camp so the deer are not all spooked and running around with arrow wounds. Those damn flatlanders will fling arrows at anything and everything regardless of the fact that they know it isnt and cant be a kill shot. This Saturday is opening morning.

Also a sidenote,,,now that the country has gone to digital TV, I can receive 24 stations from my mtn top deer stand.......

Ok TXR, sounds great, so where is this mtn top deer stand? What part of what state?
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby talonxracer » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:02 pm

In the Catskill Mtns in upstate NY.
talonxracer

Postby Siringo » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:00 pm

Good luck to you!!!!!
Siringo

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:36 pm

It was primitive weapons season last week in La. so I was at the deer camp for 9days and scored on a nice 8pt Monday evening with my 45-70. A 125yd head shot with a 325gr Hornady from my Buffalo Classic. I was able to carry the 450bm Saturday & Sunday but only saw does & small rack bucks. Gonna be in the woods again for 14days starting Friday after Thanksgiving. I hope to anchor another with the 450bm :mrgreen:
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Next

Return to The Trophy Wall