My first hog hunt to bag a 164lb boar

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

My first hog hunt to bag a 164lb boar

Postby DFWDave » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:16 pm

This was my first hog hunt where something actually showed up. I had the rifle sighted in at 50 yards, so according to the ballistics calculator I expected a pretty flat trajectory from about 30 yards to about 130 yards. The feeder was about 50 yards away, and this hog made the mistake of coming to about 75 yards to watch the other hogs and see if the coast was clear. Well, I didn't have to wait for him to come into the clearing. I took the shot, and it went precisely where I aimed it. The hog didn't move from that spot, but fell down right where he was standing.

The bullet, a factory Hornady (the only kind available right now) 250 grain FTX, penetrated the left side of the neck, but lodged in the right side and never made it out. It disintegrated into several pieces.

I'm impressed with the accuracy and takedown power of this gun.

DFW Dave
Bedford, TX
Bushmaster XM-15 E2S .450BM
ATN MK390 night vision for night hunting
Barska 4-16x60 Euro30 IR for twilight hunting
Aviator, Scuba diver, Videographer, Adventurer
DFWDave

Re: My first hog hunt to bag a 164lb boar

Postby Colohunter » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:23 pm

Nice one! Thanks for sharing.
Colohunter

Postby kottke_35 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:25 pm

THUMPER DREW BLOOD! Congrats!
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Edward78 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:26 pm

Looks good I can't wait to get a hog with mine. It is amazing how accurate these rifles can be I am amazed every time I shoot it.

Ed
Ed
Edward78

Postby Jeepejeep » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:51 pm

Congrats!
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby bushmeister » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:19 pm

Way to go Dave! My hog was a pass thru, but it wasn't as big as yours, and it was a sow. Did you shoot thru the shield that boars have?
bushmeister

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:34 pm

Texas Hogs ain't got a chance with Thumper! Can't wait to pop my first Texas pork chop on the hoof with my Thumper.
Congrats! Did he just plop down dead or did you roll him or did he wiggle just a little bit.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby DFWDave » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:36 am

Bushmeister, it went through the shield on the left side of his neck, pretty much made a mess of the interior, and then lodged in the shield of the right side. I recovered two fragments of the bullet, and I'll shoot a photo of those and put it here shortly. That shield looked to be about an inch thick when I watched them skinning the hog, so when you consider that TexasSheepDog has shot through 3/8 inch steel with a .450b and yet it couldn't penetrate two layers of inch thick shield, those hogs are tough muthers.

I captured the shot on my iPhone, so I can see that he did not take another step at all, but just went right down where he stood. I think all hogs will kick for about a minute after they are already dead, and he did that with his hind legs a little bit, but there was none of this running around, chasing blood trails, squealing or anything like that. A nice, humane and quick kill. I doubt that he had a chance to even take a breath before he was standing at the pearly gates asking permission to enter.

I'm putting together a complete video of the whole thing and will make that available in a while.
DFW Dave
Bedford, TX
DFWDave

Postby DFWDave » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:51 am

Here are the bullet fragments recovered. I put the pair on my little letter scale and it read 0.3 ounces. I don't have a grain scale.

DFW Dave
Bedford, TX
DFWDave

Postby commander faschisto » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:04 pm

Interesting results with the core/jacket separation. I'll bet a Remmy 250gr Core-Lokt would have stayed together (hint, hint, Remington suits...). This FTX did the job, more or less "the hard way" through the shield, so I guess ya can't really criticize a whole lot. Good info, DFW (I used to be stationed at Carswell AFB in Ft. Worth....trivia for ya).

7000 grains to a pound, BTW.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Next

Return to The Trophy Wall